Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:32:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: La Mulana
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: La Mulana  (Read 19095 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

Okay. So after my MSX went out on me, and I got three homeless refugees turned around and it psuedo-fixed... I've returned to the ruins only to find many of my fellow explorers have left me in the proverbial dust. Had one hilarious stint where I ran out of weights crossing the "path of Angels," and the effect of the third switch wasn't so obvious.

There was a room where eyes were watching me exterminate some vermin, and they rewarded me with the all-important third block to a pushblock puzzle nearby. I followed the path which it opened to find an ahnk (I think?), but nothing I do with or to it seems to matter. Something about emitting light on it was on a nearby inscription, but without a Glyph Reader ROM, I can't be sure.

I did find a nearby passage to a further-down, bright sandy area. Spent awhile in a tight crevice looking for a couple of switches so that I might escape, but it wasn't really too hard to find. A few times, I've gone through that loop and got a map to the area and a couple of idle ROMs, but haven't quite made it back out yet. I end up taking a major detour down south, and it doesn't seem like there's a way back up yet. I did find a nifty secret shop there however, which I will surely note.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2012, 06:10:59 AM »

Okay. So after venturing 10 years to Anime Expo, another 10 years getting through the line to get my pass, moving 3 people's stuff across town, and a bunch of other misadventure, I FINALLY return to La Mulana. And with just enough to get a freakin' GLYPH READER.

Holy crap. Maybe NOW I'll get somewhere... if there is *any* element of design I would change about this game, it's the price of that thing! GUH.

So apparently, to get to that first boss, I'm supposed to deliver a jewel (that green ball thing?) to somewhere above the Anhk... still not totally sure about how that works, but maybe if I fumble around long enough I'll think of something...

I'm usually very non-spoilerish... but in this case I'll make a tiny exception. I hate how this title makes me feel like a total noob. Well, not TOTALLY, but just... at this point.

Facepalm

I did all the right stuff, just not in the right order of persistence. Oh well, one well-designed boss down, seven to go! About time, too.
Heck, already up to the Sun Temple boss, now. Gotta stock up on my shurikens before I take that buzzard on again, however... good expedition. That Glyph Reader!! Just... MAN.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:51:11 AM by baconman » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »

Have you played the remake? It's even better and you get to support the devs.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2012, 01:21:29 AM »

I absolutely intend to. Will be doing so shortly! Paytience. If I have to wait for my income/budget, then unfortunately so does everybody else... lol

So today, I became better acquainted with the more non-Euclidan spaces in the game, Endless Corridor and... some place that looks like a "mother ship" and talks about Tiamat. (Haven't found the warp point there yet, but I did get the helmet.) Tried a few of the ROMs for the Fairy there, but apparently "Magical Tree" is not their flavor enough for her.

Been treking through the Masoleum of the Giants a bit too, found the room with the ghosts and knights and I've tried various orders of dispatching them, but to no avail. I do know you can stand on the statues' limbs, but that hasn't resulted in anything yet either. (Although that did screen did take me to the mother ship place.)

Did a little poking around that watery area up from Guidance Gate, but there doesn't seem to be a lot I can do there, and I even died once trying to get to the warp stone and activate it. Just as well, I'd probably die trying to get out if I *did* warp there anyhow.

Wrapped up the puzzles in Sun Palace, and am currently grinding some shurikens with which to survive the Dragon trainwreck battle, which is both really fun and really exciting - but once you run out of firepower, MAN is it IMPOSSIBLE to land whip strikes on that beast...

And what kind of buckler can't block BIRDS, anyways?

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »

And what kind of buckler can't block BIRDS, anyways?

Well, how big are the birds compared to the buckler?

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »

They're both about the size of your avatar.

So anyways... figured some stuff out about Mausoleum of the Giants, apparently a big, long numerical sequence of things; and *something* within it requires that I get the water works going. That has been a *tremendous* pain in the toochus.

See, idiot me - after painstakingly pushing through that wet part where the bats BLEND IN WITH THE WATER (da fuq?) repeatedly, made the rookie mistake of going to the right and collecting that seal (of the four) first.

This kinda made a platform around the moving ones disappear, and it would've been *really* helpful in getting the remaining seals; as Lemeza here has this terrible habit of getting knocked off of stuff or barely missing jumps, and having this geometrically precise landing angle right in the middle of "FUCK YOU." >.< (2-3 screens down, right into hyper-fishy which drops me in the poisonous drink.)

Facepalm

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

They're both about the size of your avatar.

So anyways... figured some stuff out about Mausoleum of the Giants, apparently a big, long numerical sequence of things; and *something* within it requires that I get the water works going. That has been a *tremendous* pain in the toochus.

See, idiot me - after painstakingly pushing through that wet part where the bats BLEND IN WITH THE WATER (da fuq?) repeatedly, made the rookie mistake of going to the right and collecting that seal (of the four) first.

This kinda made a platform around the moving ones disappear, and it would've been *really* helpful in getting the remaining seals; as Lemeza here has this terrible habit of getting knocked off of stuff or barely missing jumps, and having this geometrically precise landing angle right in the middle of "FUCK YOU." >.< (2-3 screens down, right into hyper-fishy which drops me in the poisonous drink.)

Facepalm

You're supposed to keep climbing once you get the seal so you can reach the top.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »

Yeah. I thought so. But I got fish-surprised in the waterfall. Cheesy How do you even?!

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »

Wow. Has it really been that long since I've progressed in the game? Well, I guess real-life progress trumps that of the fictional variety.

So today, I finally got another day to venture around in La Mulana. Still getting my bearings back on where I once was; after a couple hours I finally solved the riddle for the Masoleum of the Giants. It's a lot of stuff to remember if you're not taking notes, and it's easy to get lost, but once you figure out how the time chamber factors into it all, it seems very "OMFG, DUH!!?"

It didn't help that I "started" with the Moon, and then went to Stars and Sun; and then it took about another 10 minutes of whipping the tar out of those things to get it back to the Moon.

I also managed to find a passageway that reacted to the tablet-thing I got in the Water Works, that allowed me to buy a "Detector," which... so far, hasn't really appeared to detect anything. I should probably check it's manual listing to see what exactly it does.

So, now I'm working on boss number 3. Which was pretty short lived today, but there's always, a tomorrow.

Also, I got the premium remake on Steam, but either there's a layering or graphical malfunction in that I get no background or tiles, and no cursors either. All I can see of non-moving Lemeza is an arm, too. ~.~ Weird.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:53 PM »

So, after much deliberation (and skipping a boss for now); I've finally found the entrance to the Volcanic Cavern. Now that's an intimidating place, what with some rather unpredictable fireballs popping up out of nowhere. Got the map data rather quickly, took a few times to get to the warp altar.

Apparently there's a Mahjong Wizard ROM for sale that I can't quite afford yet - come to think of it, I've only really used the first few ROMs at all (Game Master, Glyph Reader, Ruins 10k) - I wonder if I'm missing some important effects of these others I keep finding around the temple. I should probably do some research into them, but I really don't wanna hit the Wiki and spoil too much.

Well, I did try every one I had to try and get the Fairy Queen to talk to me in the Endless Corridor, too. But to no avail. I did finally get the MSX 2, but that's probably why I can't afford that ROM.

So the first clue there I get is:

"That which is not here is here. It is at another here."

Facepalm Does this game do that Light World/Dark World thing? Come to think of it, the OST's locations does seem to have that kind of vibe about it... >.> (Endless/Dimensional Corridor or Guidance/Confusion Gate, for instance).

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »

Yes, you've got the gist of it.

You should have been able to kill a couple of bosses by now. One of them gets you an item that lets you access those "another here" areas more easily.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

Well, so far I've busted a 2-headed snake and a dragon on a mine cart. Kinda working on the rocket-punching giant dude, but have yet to really get the attack/defend pattern down. Once I get it, I'll probably be "I'm such a dum."

Then there's the angler fish thing in Spring In The Sky, which is all that's preventing me from taking on... whatever that area's boss is.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic