Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:43:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: La Mulana
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: La Mulana  (Read 19094 times)
PaleFox
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »

What is this:  In this thread we all play a game for a few weeks and discuss it in this thread, at the end of the time we pick a new game and start all over again.

So, what game are we playing now?

Title: La-Mulana
Time Frame: Until April 22 (or longer, if people like)

La-Mulana is a so-called "Metroidvania" in the vein of old 8-bit games of yore. It has many puzzles; some are easy, many are hard.

You can get La-Mulana here:
http://agtp.romhack.net/extra/LA-MULANA.zip

As the game is in Japanese, you will probably also need this translation patch, which also includes a translated Manual for your perusal:
http://agtp.romhack.net/download.php?id=lamulana

The game is unfortunately made for the PC, but works in WINE on other OSes (Mac, Linux, etc) and directions for running it as such are here:
http://lamulana.super-turbo.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Using_Wine

The game is somewhat difficult and includes many puzzles! Discussion in this thread is a good idea, but also be sure to read the Manual, as it includes some important clues.

I think that's everything important. Good Luck, everyone!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:46:37 PM by crowe » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »

I don't even know if I want to bother asking for help with this one.
I can't get anywhere and get murdered immediately... everything is so unclear and arbitrary.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

protip: learn2read the manual
Ashkin
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »

I got into the ruins! :3 I hope this is the right area... I've really got to save up some money though so I can BUY STUFF.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »

protip: learn2read the manual

Manual doesn't tell you how to not get killed by a trap you couldn't see

But I'm giving it another go now because I don't know when to quit

AUST
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »

you do have to have a certain tolerance for trial and error Wink
PaleFox
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »

If it's necessary I could write up a getting started guide, I guess, but most of the fun is discovering stuff and discussing it with others, and that'd ruin it. But I will say that, generally, your first goal should be just to get into the ruins, and also to get a hand scanner and the ROM that lets you save. With that you can read certain notes and start making some progress exploring the game.

I haven't played this in so long I've forgotten all the puzzle solutions Wink so I'm going to play through as well.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

this should probably be longer than 2 weeks.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
iffi
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »

As everybody else has said, read the manual. And read it again later after you've played the game for a while. The Getting Started guide on the La-Mulana wiki also has some useful tips without really spoiling anything.

As a last resort if you still can't figure out how to get started, watching the first few episodes of DeceasedCrab's Let's Play should help. Maybe the first two or three episodes, and maybe the seventh. I wouldn't recommend watching any more than, though, if you want to keep the experience unspoiled.

The first area other than the Surface, though, is sort of a tutorial to introduce you to the types of things you can expect later, so in my opinion you aren't losing too much if you spoil some of the puzzles in there. Though of course, the less you spoil and the more you figure out for yourself the better.

A while back I started giving this another playthrough, trying to refer to outside help as little as possible. I still remember many of the puzzles' solutions, but I'm still hopelessly lost yet again in the Chamber of Birth.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »

My suggestion is for the La Mulana Newcomers to eagerly ask detailed situational questions and for the other newcomers who have gotten further to encourage them with spoilers and solutions. The use of glow tags to hide spoilers is encouraged for when you want to give spoilers without revealing everything.

The manual contains a lot of critical details you wouldn't get otherwise. Many of La Mulana's puzzles are extremely cryptic and can only be solved via trial and error. The use of friendly spoilers is going to be required to complete the game!

I've played through everything but the optional hell temple, so I'm going to sit this one out for now. I am very excited to hear detailed accounts of your individual exploits, however!
iffi
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »

I'm also willing to help anybody working their way through the game in the coming weeks. Wink
I've played through everything except the one part of Hell Temple that requires you to get 120k points on the SHMUP minigame. If I manage to complete that part one day it's just a matter of walking through the rest of the stuff that I already did to the HELL TEMPLE TREASURE (I already know what that is though). Oh, and I'm missing a few ROMs here and there.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »

you do have to have a certain tolerance for trial and error Wink

One about the size of the Design/"Hybrid Game Design Thread."

rdein
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »

might as well make the deadline 10 years. you'll count in one hand the number of people who will beat this for the game club

EDIT: actual contribution to the thread

already opened the ruins entrance using shuriken and did some of the first puzzles. i don't remember how to get the grail, though. any hints? last thing i did was the sword->shield->helmet->armor puzzle

i feel rather dumb for not having found the glyph reader yet, too
ok you can buy it, nvm
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:50:57 AM by RABBIT NABOKOV » Logged
PaleFox
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »

I suppose it's unlikely everyone will finish, but most everyone who we asked said this was the best choice, so...

In any case, I started over myself, as well! Just got into the ruins and am working on getting some items.

Last time I played this I got hopelessly lost and got into one of the late-game areas by accident. It made everything very confusing, but I had a bunch of movement items and health really early as a result. Good times!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

Sweet, got the patch working, but I probably won't be able to start this for a little while longer.
Ashkin
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »

What does the map do?... Also, do you need a Glyph reader MSX cartridge to read all these tablets with the hand scanner? ALso, I found athletic land cartridge, but I have no idea what it does.
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

Well, I'm stuck! I can't find any coins, there are no coins! I've killed every snake and every chicken and busted every pot, 1 coin. I will never buy any of the equipment I need to progress.

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »

Count me in. Dunno how far I'll get as this quarter's gonna be hectic, but I'll take a crack at it.

PaleFox
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »

there are enough coins on the surface alone to buy the hand scanner and save cart. after that, you'll have to explore the ruins!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »

Trying to play it again: all transparency colour is light brown instead of black. It's incredibly hard on the eyes.

EDIT: apparently it's a windows 7 problem caused by fullscreen. Oh welp, windowed it is

AUST
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic