Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:12:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesUntitled Zelda-like Demake for 1987-era PC
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Zelda-like Demake for 1987-era PC  (Read 13924 times)
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »

I don't have a title yet, but here's the idea: I'm making a bootleg version of the Legend of Zelda for a mid-eighties PC.  I'm making the game from scratch with vintage-era tools (viz. Turbo C 2.01), with the intention that it run on vintage-era hardware.  (Right now I'm running it in DOSBox.)

Video:

I'm using only 320x200 CGA graphics, which presents some interesting constraints.  The main one is color: the CGA adapter supports only 4 colors at a time, from a static set of palettes--only four palettes in all, I think.  I was tempted to go with the classic black/cyan/magenta/white palette (as seen in Karateka, Sokoban, Loderunner, etc.) but this green/yellow/red/black palette works better with the subject matter, I think.

The video shows pretty clearly that I'm having some flicker problems... I've never hacked this close on graphics hardware before, and CGA is kind of a beast. (4 pixels to a byte, even-numbered lines mapped to a different memory area than odd-numbered lines, etc.)  So, uh, if anyone has any performance tips, I'm all ears.

As you can probably tell, I've mostly just been wading through the technical aspects of this project (it's really my first big project in C)... so I haven't even had time to give any thought to actually, you know, game design.  There's still a lot of work to do, more than I can probably finish in two and a half weeks, so this one might end up in the "unfinished" pile.  We'll see.  But I've had a lot of fun making what I have so far.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »

Well, that certainly sounds impressive and complex. Best of luck to you. And be sure to drop even a tech demo around the deadline if you can't finish.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:01:14 PM »

That's totally, massively cool. I precisely loved this CGA palette, that was too rare.
Do you have some sort of engine / libraries always written ?
Do you compile into dos/box ? or cross compile from windows ?
What where the graphics made with ? Deluxe Paint into DosBox ?

Man, this is so exciting !

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »

I was tempted to go with the classic black/cyan/magenta/white palette (as seen in Karateka, Sokoban, Loderunner, etc.) but this green/yellow/red/black palette works better with the subject matter, I think.
Oh yeah, this palette is perfect for what you are doing.
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

Wow, I love that this is something that probably already exists and is sitting on a long-forgotten 5-1/4" floppy disk from 1987. It's like an actual time-machine.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:33:30 AM »

And don't worry about the sprite flickering too much, others are actively trying to reproduce this kind of stuff on modern platforms Wink Adds to the bootleggish feel at least.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »

That is  hardcore Shocked Kiss

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »

Ya I agree with Melly, please do at least submit a tech demo of whatever you end up building by the end of this month.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »

You're brave (or insane?) to take on this kind of challenge - it's like restoring a heritage building using authentic tools and materials.

(I spent some time recently trying to fix some old games built with TP6 using DosBox, and it was really hard to go back to such an old-school environment - and that was VGA let alone CGA...)

The screen and video look very good too, definitely captures the Zelda feel.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »

This is amazing.
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »

That's totally, massively cool. I precisely loved this CGA palette, that was too rare.
Do you have some sort of engine / libraries always written ?
Do you compile into dos/box ? or cross compile from windows ?
What where the graphics made with ? Deluxe Paint into DosBox ?

Man, this is so exciting !

I'm writing the "engine"--if you can call it that--from scratch for the compo.  All of the development work is being done in OS X, but then I have a DOSBox window open to do the Turbo C compilation.  Using a vintage graphics program like Deluxe Paint is probably a good idea... so far I've been relying on Pixen.

Wow, I love that this is something that probably already exists and is sitting on a long-forgotten 5-1/4" floppy disk from 1987. It's like an actual time-machine.

That's the idea!  I've been thinking about putting some copy protection on the game, and then getting someone to do a crack for it. Smiley
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »

That's the idea!  I've been thinking about putting some copy protection on the game, and then getting someone to do a crack for it. Smiley

That would be awesome. Something like Sim City red sheet? :D

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »

Totally needs Link hitting a bush tagged with the 11th word of the 4th page of the manual, which is included in PDF format. Also, awesome idea. The screenshot is so bootleg.

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »

What happened with this? Is there something you could release as a prototype? It sounded, so, so awesome...

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »

): so many good entries fail to launch....
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 12:39:05 PM »

I want myself some dosbox Zelda. Cry

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic