Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:13:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Vampire the Masquerade -- Bloodlines
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Vampire the Masquerade -- Bloodlines  (Read 20024 times)
PaleFox
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »

The votes are in. So, what game are we playing this time?

Time frame: Until May 2nd

This game is rather hard to find these days, but is available via digital distribution. This post will also talk about getting a disc version running, if you have one of those (they're worth a lot, but you might still find one). The easiest place to buy a copy digitally is on Steam, at this URL

If you find another source, please let me know so I can add it to the OP.

---  

Now, as with all Troika games, this was a buggy and broken mess of a game at release. It can be hard to get it working! As such, it seems as if a guide might be in order to getting the game working. If you want the game to run properly and without issue, you'll need to do the following:

1.)  This step will talk about initially installing the game.

DISC VERSION  -  If you have a disc (or ISO, let's not judge), you will need to install somewhere where you don't need UAC administrator privilege. For example, you might make a folder under C:\Games\, and install there. Installing in Program Files will cause difficult issues to solve and will require fucking about with UAC to fix them and install patches, so don't do that. Set the game, in compatibility options, to disable visual themes and desktop composition. Run it once under XP compatibility mode (unless you're on XP, in which case just run the game). It may crash, but that's fine.

STEAM VERSION  -  Steam versions are fine installed where they are, but another process is needed: quit Steam, if it's open, and then run it as Administrator. Then try running the game, from Steam. It may or may not crash; that's not important. Then, disable automatic updates and Steam community, as otherwise Steam may decide to overwrite fixes that you have applied without warning or reason. You can find these options by right-clicking the name of the game in steam and selecting properties. Afterwards, you can launch Steam normally, rather than as administrator, but do not re-enable updates or community.

2.)  Here we're going to apply the fan patch, so that all the bugs will be gone and the game will launch.

The fan patch is available at this website in three languages: English, German, and Polish. Choose whichever is right for you. Though it is linked there, you do not need the 1.2 official patch; it is included in the fan patch. The Patch will offer either a Basic or Plus version: Basic is just bugfixes; Plus attempts to restore removed or dummied out content. Both work fine; choose whichever is right for you. The installer will also offer to run the resolution patch; if you need it later, it is in a new EXTRAS folder in your Vampire installation path.

Now, you should be fine just installing it to your chosen installation location, and at this point the game will run properly.

3.)  Enjoy, and good luck.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:51:11 AM by crowe » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »

Here's a video that explains how to get it working for Steam:

iffi
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:56:05 PM »

What's the timeframe for when the club's playing this?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:11:06 AM »

Should be from April 2nd (today) till sometime around May 2nd.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:37 AM »

half life 2 and bloodlines both came out very close to each other and i bought them both on release day. guess which one i liked more.

anyway i just installed it and am probably going to start playing this evening.
kukukupo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »

Really?

Count me out, I'll stick with La Mulana until I finish it.  This game looks terrible.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »

ur face loox terr ible

PWEND >B)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »

So yeah, as I was saying before all evidence was lost (installation guides? thoroughness? pfffffffffffffffft), I started a female Tremere vampire, which from the looks of it, seems like a spellcaster class of sorts. I don't have much knowledge of the WoD lore and such, but I prefer it that way for the time being. It will be fun to discover about it as I play.

The dialogue has indeed a Fallout 2 vibe with all the sarcastic responses. Whats wih breasts physics?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »

i started a game as a nosferatu (a clan i never tried) today but am probably going to roll a new character now. it sounds cool at first because it's a very different playstyle from all the other clans, but sneaking around in sewers becomes real boring real fast. it's also really inconsistent  with the masquerade breaking stuff. when one of the generic npcs walking the streets sees you, you pretty much immediately lose a masquerade point, but you can still talk to human story npcs no problem.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »

I was very much into WoD when I played this for the first time. It's gonna to be interesting to see how someone new to the lore approaches it.

Tremere is indeed a spellcaster class, both in WoD and the game. The "spells" aren't as effective as some other disciplines, but it's entirely possible to finish the game anyway. I recommend using guns with high Auspex levels as the main combat method for Tremere.

Bloodlines is generally pretty easy, but a bit tricky when it comes to stat development. There are some free skill points you can get, but only if you haven't developed the stat above a certain level. This guide goes into the details. Might be worth to check it out, if you are anything like me and are obsessive-compulsive about making optimal characters. Especially as there's no way to farm experience in the game.

Actually, that's one of the really brilliant things about Bloodlines. You don't get any experience from combat, just from completing quests. It enables a lot of freedom - you get your rewards regardless of if you decide to kill everyone, sneak through, or talk your way out of combat. I don't think any other RPG did that.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

I thought auspex was just an aura check thingy. I will take a peek in detail.

I just went to the beach to claim back the explosive thingy from a bunch of thugs. Since it seems I wasn't persuasive enough, I had to kill the lot of them by making them puke their blood and finishing them all with a bat. managed to get some blood back from some of the thugs that I managed to isolate.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »

It makes you see auras but it also raises Wits and Perception stats. On high levels it's able to eliminate the sway while targeting sniper rifles, which is a big help.

Tom Grochowiak
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »

It makes you see auras but it also raises Wits and Perception stats. On high levels it's able to eliminate the sway while targeting sniper rifles, which is a big help.

Oh, I see. That will definitely help then. I just hope my Infernal background doesn´t bite me in the ass for that.

Also, tried the ENBseries profile included in the fan patch, and it looks ugly.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »

started a new game as a toreador and decided not to skip the tutorial this time. i'd already forgotten how cool it is (yup a game with a cool tutorial, how's that).

btw: is anyone here even playing the game for the first time?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »

I do.

I had the game already installed and running, but didn't bother trying it on because of fucking Ass Effect, so this seemed like a good excuse to do so.

As I said, I know the devs are the same guys who did Fallout and Arcanum, so I expect the same in 3d.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »

awesome, i hope some of the other people who voted for bloodlines will join in soon.

btw: i just noticed something. the doomsayer guy in santa monica says "the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides." thats a direct quote from "the dead flag blues" by godspeed you black emperor. neat.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »

I started up a game, playing as a Gangrel. Only beat the totoreal so far, though.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:23 AM »

Patch ruined melee completely and gave everyone tons of health woooooo

So I need to reinstall.

Stupid modders.

Still love this game!

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »

That's a crazy half-a-bajillion statictics going on there. This game very grindy? First impression kinda gives me that unfortunate "grindy" vibe...

It's the WRPG era now, alrighty.

I may jump in after payday, we'll see how it plays out. Anyhow, busybusy day for me today, so I'll be back around tomorrow.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »

As I said before, the game doesn't even feature any form of grind. You don't get experience from killing enemies or in any other repeatable way. It's all tied to the progression.

I'm starting to play today. Gonna roll a Gangrel and go for the "fuck everyone" ending.

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic