Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:42:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessEA's Madden '13 Kickstarter Makes 8.5 Million in Five Hours
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: EA's Madden '13 Kickstarter Makes 8.5 Million in Five Hours  (Read 11568 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »

It still doesn't make sense why you would discard advice on how to be successful from someone who is successful in doing something you want to do. Did any of you bother to read the list?
Yes, and it's not very helpful for normal indie dev, these things are kinda obvious and you need muuuch more.

Tips from unknown ppl that got successfully funded would be a lot more useful.

Nix
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »

Relevant: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-ugly-side-of-kickstarter-why-the-risks-in-backing-gaming-campaigns-are-
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »

"WARNING: PROJECTS PEOPLE HAVE MORE EXCITEMENT OR FAITH IN ARE MORE LIKELY TO RECIEVE FUNDING" is hardly something that damns Kickstarter at all.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »

It still doesn't make sense why you would discard advice on how to be successful from someone who is successful in doing something you want to do. Did any of you bother to read the list?
I'm saying that what Double Fine did is NOT what most indies can do.  It's going back to the original post, a large (by indie standards) company with a lot of hits (by indie standards) and a lot of history (by indie standards) getting funded on kickstarter is not similar to most indie's situation. 

Also, I read the list and it was full of the most basic, generic platitudes.  It was essentially worthless and would have been more honest and useful if it had just been one bullet that says "Be Tim Schaefer/Double Fine", because that's how they got funded.

I want to make a note that I'm not down on them getting funded.  I'm totally excited and funded the game myself.  But you are either being disingenuous, naive, or just stupid if you think that what Double Fine did is similar to what most indies will go through.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2012, 06:22:19 AM »

That list may be "full of the most basic, generic platitudes", but there are still a lot of Kickstarter projects that fail at them.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2012, 04:58:10 AM »

I'm starting to hate kickstarter, because 100% real, it's a HUGE risk to the customer.
think of when games didn't have the internet and all the shovel ware got through and ravaged dollars. That's a kickstarter game.

I'm basically buying a preorder with a tiny preorder bonus and not really kickstarting a game, more like buying a product that I have no real idea about, no one has any idea about, and there is no real promise the product will be of quality. No name brand behind your names, and no trust that the money is actually going to some real use. Whats stopping someone from having a game already done, THEN putting up a kickstarter for a low amount, then just taking a fat Zzzz and ship the game 2 months later?

And You don't "need" a kickstarter if you could develop the product without the money, living expenses needed to cover the costs? that's completely silly, because a game is a product and like every product in the world there are risks to making it, why should kickstarter be a free lunch where you risk other peoples money instead of your own to make a product to later sell?

It's like having other people buy your lotto tickets, and if you win you keep all the money.

There are good kickstarter items, but now with double fine making headlines, it's getting flooded with scams
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:36:54 AM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »

I'm starting to hate kickstarter, because 100% real, it's a HUGE consumer risk.
You're more like a patron than a consumer in this case.

Maybe there are good reasons to dislike Kickstarter, but the ones you present can be avoided by simply not involving yourself.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »

I'm starting to hate kickstarter, because 100% real, it's a HUGE consumer risk.
You're more like a patron than a consumer in this case.

Maybe there are good reasons to dislike Kickstarter, but the ones you present can be avoided by simply not involving yourself.

That's the issue, I want to involve myself! I want to totally back every single awesome crazy idea, but now that the site is full of scams and spammers and people just there for free money it's much harder to sort through all the sadface stuff without a name brand telling you they are legit (like doublefine wouldn't host a bad kickstarter, so I trust them)

I hate kickstarter but it's because...I love kickstarter and want to trust her but she actin' shady and I just can't.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »

Do you not trust your judgement?

I think of kickstarter as a gamble every time. It's not really a preorder service.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »

Also, look at their track record. If the people behind a Kickstarter project have never made a substantial game before, it's a good bet they either won't manage to complete this project or it will turn out terrible. The first couple of games anybody makes likely won't be very good and should pretty much be treated as learning experiences. Nobody needs or deserves $100,000 to fund their learning experience.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Nix
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

Have you seen Gambitious? It's like Kickstarter, but money is actually an investment so you could get returns if the game does well. It's an awesome idea. I would like to see something similar, but not limited to games.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

I think of kickstarter as a gamble every time. It's not really a preorder service.

My judgement is hard to go off of due to lack of information.
I hope in the future kickstarter will have a way to prevent the spam/scams, I don't want them to moderate things and prevent ideas from having a chance, but at the same time I wish I could trust that my money will actually be going to a project and not just someones pockets.

If you raise say...100,000 dollars and only really put 20,000 into the development of the thing (including pay), and pocket 80,000...whats stopping you? there needs to be a requirement showing exactly where the money is going, and then bind that within reason to a contract.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »

I hope in the future kickstarter will have a way to prevent the spam/scams, I don't want them to moderate things and prevent ideas from having a chance, but at the same time I wish I could trust that my money will actually be going to a project and not just someones pockets.

If you raise say...100,000 dollars and only really put 20,000 into the development of the thing (including pay), and pocket 80,000...whats stopping you? there needs to be a requirement showing exactly where the money is going, and then bind that within reason to a contract.

But Whyyyyy?

You have no way to really tell. the system as it is, is fairly well designed. The 'extra' 80k would probably go into development for the next project, it's not like 80k is rest of your life money(for Americans, who aren't Paul, but even still). I feel like I'm helping out when I donate, even if the thing isn't made.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »

But Whyyyyy?

You have no way to really tell. the system as it is, is fairly well designed. The 'extra' 80k would probably go into development for the next project, it's not like 80k is rest of your life money(for Americans, who aren't Paul, but even still). I feel like I'm helping out when I donate, even if the thing isn't made.

Then they should be open with that and say 80k is funding this and the next project.
Asking for money/funding should be open and kind =]

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »

Usually people tell what they are going to do if they get over-funded. And even if it goes to their pocket, what difference does it make? You still supported a creator that you wanted to support.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2012, 11:59:58 PM »

Usually people tell what they are going to do if they get over-funded. And even if it goes to their pocket, what difference does it make? You still supported a creator that you wanted to support.

It's when there is a lie in there that messes it all up. like if they say that the extra money will go into making the game and adding more content for that game, then you dish out money and they are like sorry, I "really" meant I'm just going to put the money in my pocket.

I guess the difference is the uncertainty, something about me just wants everything to be honest and fair, and it rubs me the wrong way to ask for money, then not use it for the reason you asked for it.

Like if you are a kid and you say to your mom
"Can I have 20 dollars to buy a book at the bookstore?"
then you take her $20, and buy $18 of candy and buy a on sale book for 2 dollars
If I was the parent I'd feel wronged that they weren't honest with me and brought back the change, or at least told me if the book was cheaper they'd want to spend the remaining on something else.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »

Pandara, I have recently found about this website. It solves the issue of pocketing money, because the developer invested needs to return the money(if he can)+interest.
If he doesn't make enough money, then he won't pay iot back. So it's no risk for him. But if you see his game is succesful, it would be hard for him to avoid paying back.

http://www.appbackr.com/

Notice the high investments people put, because they expect to get it back.

Master of all trades.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »

Pandara, I have recently found about this website. It solves the issue of pocketing money, because the developer invested needs to return the money(if he can)+interest.
If he doesn't make enough money, then he won't pay iot back. So it's no risk for him. But if you see his game is succesful, it would be hard for him to avoid paying back.

http://www.appbackr.com/

THIS MADE MY DAY! It's like small loans...that bypass all the dumb banks, and actually places risk and also gives back to the loan makers! letting them loan more money!

RAMINATION
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:27 AM »

I don't know how my mind differs from the people who hate Kickstarter but I don't really mind at all if part of the money goes to their "own pockets." Actually I think it's highly likely that some of the money goes to food or some other things, and I have no problem with it.

When I'm buying a movie or game or a CD, I'm not expecting to pay just enough to cover the costs of making that item.

Independet film makers have always relied on getting some money from sponsors or private investors or from someone else. Sure, the sponsors do it for ad value and investors who put tens of thousands of dollars are usually signing a contract that they'll have a cut from the profit, but why should the only reason for people to give money to be about getting profit from it?
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 02:29:44 AM »

I don't know how my mind differs from the people who hate Kickstarter but I don't really mind at all if part of the money goes to their "own pockets." Actually I think it's highly likely that some of the money goes to food or some other things, and I have no problem with it.

When I'm buying a movie or game or a CD, I'm not expecting to pay just enough to cover the costs of making that item.

Independet film makers have always relied on getting some money from sponsors or private investors or from someone else. Sure, the sponsors do it for ad value and investors who put tens of thousands of dollars are usually signing a contract that they'll have a cut from the profit, but why should the only reason for people to give money to be about getting profit from it?

I have no issue with indie devs taking a cut for food and such or even anything else like a swimming pool, so long as they are upfront that a portion is not going to the production of the game

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic