Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:05:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] Artifact's House Globe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Artifact's House Globe  (Read 91366 times)
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »

I ... I love you.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »

GUI-LESS BETA DEMO VERSION!

http://www.oxeyegames.com/files/ourglobe/OurGlobe.rar

Controls

Use the number keys 0 through 9 to build and research as following:

0 - Inspector
1 - Harvester
2 - Fighter Chassi Research, then Catcher
3 - Blaster (req. Fighter Chassi and Hi-Tech)
4 - Frigate Chassi Research, then Attack Frigate
5 - Plasmagun Frigate (req. Frigate Chassi and Hi-Tech)
6 - Hi-Tech Research, then Cloaking Tech Research, then Shadow Fighter
7 - Super-class Chassi Research (req. Hi-Tech and Frigate Chassi), then Missile Hulk
8 - Catcher Speed Research
9 - Construction Rate Research

(see previous post for a description of each unit/upgrade)

You control all units with the mouse. Left button selects, right button orders.

Use SPACE to toggle between tactical (up close) and strategical (minimap) views.

You can cancel construction options with backspace, though it's not possible to cancel research at the moment.

Beta Comments

Sounds are work in progress and some attacks are silent.

The game has no GUI.

Multi-player can be somewhat slow if you're not in a LAN.

Looking for feedback!

McAndrews
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »

I love it.  So much.  But inspectors should be one shot.  Catchers seem fast enough so far to be a moving scout unit.  I think the ability to move them around is a bit cheap.  I could move the probe thing directly onto the enemy mother ship and just have them sit there, watching everything move about.  The cpu wouldn't attack them because they would hit the mother ship.  I don't know if I could do this with a attacking unit, but if I could, it could be a cheap shot, because the mother ship would never be able to move out of the way, and the unit would never be attacked.   
And the wallee like sounds of the probes are amazing and perfect.  Thank you.  I can't wait for the next improvements.  Oh, and from my first single player game, resources seemed to get used up quickly, making the multitude of corpses around the map seem like a nice source of ru. If there was a scavenger type frigate, seems like that could be a interesting end game source of ru's.  Man, I can't wait to try to get a multilayer game going.  Seems like a very nice and quick little rts. 
And it's beautiful. 
And the voices.  "Really? Really?"   :D
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »

Cool, thanks!  Smiley

I love it.  So much.  But inspectors should be one shot.  Catchers seem fast enough so far to be a moving scout unit.  I think the ability to move them around is a bit cheap.  I could move the probe thing directly onto the enemy mother ship and just have them sit there, watching everything move about.  The cpu wouldn't attack them because they would hit the mother ship.  I don't know if I could do this with a attacking unit, but if I could, it could be a cheap shot, because the mother ship would never be able to move out of the way, and the unit would never be attacked.   

Projectiles can only collide with the target they were shot at (unlike Homeworld), so I think what happened was that you had researched cloaking and then placed the inspector on the mothership. The inspector turns invisible when you have cloaking tech, and the AI never builds inspectors unless you attack with shadow fighters. In other words, it didn't shoot your inspector because it couldn't see it... I hope (else you've found a bug).

McAndrews
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »

Cool, on second thought, you are exactly correct.  I didn't notice the inspectors cloaking, but now that I remember, they did look a bit cloaky on the mothership.  Thanks.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »

This does not seem to work in Vista. ;_;

I'll keep changing settings to see if I can get it to work, though.

Edit: Holy shit, for the first time ever Compatibility Mode actually worked!

Just set it to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and you're good to go.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »

Nice!
It worked with fallout 1 to though, if I remember correctly.  Gentleman

Anywho, I'm hosting a server at 81.236.165.83, wanna try how it works over the nets. (If you can't connect that probably means ive stopped hosting, wicked awesome way to announce a game)

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »

Anyone in Australia want to play this? Or.. anyone who's awake between 6pm and 2am EST?  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »

I tried connecting twice, got "Connect failed" both times.

Are you using the default port?
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »

Heh... Jeb's router is blocking the port.. Another time then  Sad

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2008, 05:28:30 PM »

Oh well!

Anyways, what you have here is incredibly impressive so far!  I can't wait to see how it turns out.  Really, it seems like you're only a GUI and a few grouping/interface options away form having an absolutely amazing game here.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »

It's really a lot of fun even now. The key-based building/researching interface actually works surprisingly well, it's very quick and intuitive once you have the keys memorized. You should keep that. Of course there still needs to be a way for the player to see in-game what each key will do and how much it will cost, but that's a given.

You could also implement the standard group saving commands (Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+0). This could also help with scrolling if you make a second press of the group key center on the group.

Talking about scrolling, being able to scroll with WASD would be neat: it's closer to the number keys and I don't like scrolling with the mouse. Alternatively, being able to use the numpad for building would be nice too. But maybe you're going to change the interface anyway, so it might be moot.

And one more thing: rally points would be nice.

Do you plan on adding a single-player campaign? Would be killer.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »

Talking about scrolling, being able to scroll with WASD would be neat
And one more thing: rally points would be nice.

Do you plan on adding a single-player campaign? Would be killer.

WASD is a good idea!

About adding a campaign, it would be nice if we find the time.
The biggest problem or challenge is to make each level fresh and interesting and worth playing, and there are only so many variations to a game that takes place in space. Maybe adding physical obstacles of some sort.
Suggestions on game and map mechanics for a campagin are in other words more than welcome!

EDIT: Source code is in the daisymoon folder, if you like to add WASD right away Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:04:13 PM by Kinten » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »

WASD is never a good idea. Or at least provide alternatives.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 06:09:47 PM »

About adding a campaign, it would be nice if we find the time.
The biggest problem or challenge is to make each level fresh and interesting and worth playing, and there are only so many variations to a game that takes place in space. Maybe adding physical obstacles of some sort.
Suggestions on game and map mechanics for a campagin are in other words more than welcome!

I seem to recall the original Homeworld did something with these... gardens? That looked awesome.

I'm a crap level designer, but here are some clichéd space tropes for map obstacles:
*) nebulae (could disable weapons/cloaking)
*) asteroid field (could limit max speed or inflict a steady stream of damage)
*) wormholes (teleport from one end of the map to the other)
*) black holes (total destruction; keep ships on the event horizon when they die for extra credibility Grin)
*) electromagnetic storm (might occur randomly on the map and totally shut down engines? That's probably annoying.)
*) meteor moving through the map
*) some benevolent ethereal cloud being which repairs your ships when they are inside it WTF

Nothing you couldn't have come up with I'm sure, but there you go.

@moi: Hopefully cursor keys and mouse should be alternatives enough?
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »

"There's a giant plot hole - heading straight at us!" :D

Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »

Nothing you couldn't have come up with I'm sure, but there you go.

Not at all! My brain fried days ago.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »

A couple of other pointers which I'm sure will end up being included anyway: pressing 'H' to zoom to mothership, and...uhh...I forgot the other one. Angry

Some sort of button to zoom to currently selected units? That might have been what I was thinking...

olücæbelel
McAndrews
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »

Oh,there's how the unit construction list can go offscreen if there is a big list of units.  That could get confusing.  
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »

Some sort of button to zoom to currently selected units? That might have been what I was thinking...

For now, you can hit space twice and you'll have selected units centralized.

Oh,there's how the unit construction list can go offscreen if there is a big list of units.  That could get confusing.  

The construction cue will probably be replaced by something more visual once we have a proper GUI.
Good point though, we we're planning to replace the text with symbols. Maybe should make it more scale friendly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic