Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:07:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceBeam
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: SpaceBeam  (Read 18679 times)
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »

I think I'll start a game. A 2d game. About space, ships, building your own ships & stations. Exploring unknown areas. Would like to have it asynchronous multiplayer.

Game
Start with a small ship. Mine asteroids. Get resources. Transport. Build bigger ships. Fight with other ships. Harvest parts. Optimize your ship power supplies, weapons, thrusters, shields. Find light speed engines & move to other parts of the galaxy. Build your own base, setup defenses. Resist to alien waves. Have the best base. Test you base against real players. Go to fight other player bases. Be a hero.

Possible scenario
You have a small mining ship and work as mining asteroids. Sometimes, you get stuff, from old ships crashed on asteroids. One day, you find a transmitter, transmitting signal from what seems a big alien ship. You start looking for this ship...

Inspiration
Captain Jameson, StarFarer, Space Chunks 2, Blast Works, Tikumi Fighters

Current progress
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:53:26 AM by peous » Logged

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

Added a video of the very first prototype

Still ugly. I know Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »

Tracking :D

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »

You are the "big" ship top left, and enemies are the smaller ones.
The current behavior : They try to face you (in order to fire sometime), and stay at a reasonable distance.
To do this, they use the same commands as the player : Turn left/right, forward and backwards (they do not strafe atm). Of course, the result is quite different depending on where the thrusters are placed !

The two small needle ships have 6 thrusters so are really agile. Square ships are heavier with less thrusters, you can feel this the way they move.

Also found these 2 references on the procedurally generated shooter games thread. I'll add it to my references list.

I don't know yet if player's feeling will be more shoot them up or more exploration/rpg style. I guess both ^^, depending on area/game sequence.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »

Added an article on IndieBD about how thrusters are activated depending on what you want the ship to go.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »

Added some graphics to the ships, it looks more appealing !

You can also check

, showing
- The first placeholder pixel Art
- Bullets (only pushing ships, not destroying anything yet)
- Different ships designs, like the picture, leading to different behaviours

And if someone is interested (as this threads has few feedback), I would like some advices on pixel art about
- Drawing ship parts (these are 8x8 textures)
- Drawing universe background in a "pixel-art" style (you can see my first try with big stars)

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »

About the background - maybe try with smaller stars? + some color variation in them?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »

Sounds epic. Smiley I love how that big ship smashes into everyone at the end of the video. Would be awesome to see sparks and grinding noises from collisions.

I think any block-based shooter will always make me think of Captain Forever, but there's probably a lot of room in this genre to differentiate yourself from Farbs' work.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »

Thank you ! No sound yet unfortunately. I have some small explosions on my version.

Yes Captain Forever is in the list of my references, it's a great game ! The difference with CF will be visible later, I have some ideas coming. There will be some gameplay about ship structure, next update will be about this. But the main difference it that I would like to have a more scalable gameplay, and build structures that last longer, like star-bases. So all I can say is...

""One day, you will zoom out""

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

Hmm yes, I will follow this. Smiley

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

Mandatory: "Oh man this is just like an idea I had."

Very cool stuff, I look forward to playing it.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »

These last days I worked on spaceship structure. As I want it to be break nicely, I built some kind of structure from ships described in text files. The result is not perfect yet, but it works, ships can be broken firing at them ^^

Here's an image of a ship structure, built automatically starting from cockpit and kinda pathfinding in the ship (I hilighted a ship in red to see arrows better).

- The important thing is that one element is only attached to a single other. This leads to quite "weak" structures, that is wat I want. If you break a block all the connected parts will be "freed" from main ship.

- Also, unlike Captain Forever, the ships will break down into smaller pieces (they won't be destroyed). These parts, in certain cases, will continue to live as independant ships (yes, like

: ). If a ship is broken in two parts, and each one has engines, they will try to flee (or even attack the player if they have weapons left).

zoq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »

This seems very nice Smiley

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:58 AM »

Thanks.

Here's the first destruction video

As you can see, structure is already important. With a single shot on the side, I can easily break the big square in 2 parts, because its structure is made in "S". But after this, i shoot multiple time in the center, with nearly no effect. Fighting strategy coming...

zoq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:25 AM »

Thanks.

Here's the first destruction video

As you can see, structure is already important. With a single shot on the side, I can easily break the big square in 2 parts, because its structure is made in "S". But after this, i shoot multiple time in the center, with nearly no effect. Fighting strategy coming...

Awesome! Would it be possible to make a feature article about this, since in the video it's a bit difficult to see what is actually happening. I'm interested since the structural stress and piece separation is something I've been considering as well.

By the way, are you French?

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »

I'm already preparing a feature article on structure & destruction, but it takes time to have something interesting & polished !
I'll add a link here when it's done.

By the way... yes I'm French why ? Toi aussi ? (If so PM me if you want to talk in fr Smiley )

zoq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »

I'm already preparing a feature article on structure & destruction, but it takes time to have something interesting & polished !
I'll add a link here when it's done.

By the way... yes I'm French why ? Toi aussi ? (If so PM me if you want to talk in fr Smiley )

I'm not French myself, but I'm happy to see a fellow European space-game maker Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »

Fun video. Smiley

I just realised that this system could be perfect for using evolutionary algorithms to design a myriad of enemy ship types. The seminal work is Evolved Creatures, but basically it could work like this:
1. Set up an environment/fitness function you want the ship to excel at (e.g., distance travelled, resistance to being shot from the side, etc..)
2. Generate 100 random ships
3. Loop (as long as you want)
3a. Simulate each ship alone in the environment
3b. Choose the top N ships from that run (e.g., N=10)
3c. Create 100 children from the N ships via mutation, crossover, and direct copying

You might even be able to evolve simple controllers using tournament simulations..

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

Yesss simulated genetics, I am all in favor of that experiment.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:43:11 PM »

Yesterday I spent 3 hours trying to figure out why Unity was not working, on none of my projects... I found that my antivirus quarantined the Unity compiler, "Mono.exe" ! Wtf !

About genome, interesting idea, maybe for generating ennemies ships. It was not the main roadmap idea, but I could give a try Smiley ! First step, I can try to generate random ships.

Because to do some genetics, I think I need genes, I mean description of how to generate ship. Like
- Gene A brings more engines
- Gene B adds more turrets"
- Gene C builds more "massive" ships
- Gene D adds some tail
This could be a lot of work. Any idea on how to proceed, what genes use ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic