Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:13:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceBeam
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: SpaceBeam  (Read 18716 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »

Wow, that would be quite some work.

What mystifies me is that you have a home-grown engine and you didn't use it in the first place. But I guess you wanted some Unity experience?

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »

Yes I wanted to try, because I thought Unity would be faster as my engine is not 2d, more 3d engine. But Unity isn't that much 2d, and you have to fake things to have it 2d friendly. So It takes me some time to adapt my engine to handle 2d better, but it's be more reusable.

Moreover, Unity debugging is just awful, and I'm wasting more and more time debugging simple things that I master in my own engine.

Also, Unity offers possibility to go to iPhone, but my engine is not that far from working on OpenGlEs2, so it's not that far from iPhone/Android, if needed.

So Unity seems a good option at the beginning: you can have something running very fast, and it looks promising ! But when you dig a bit deeper, it is full of undocumented things & weird behaviors. you can pass through, but it asks you hours. Hours that you'd better spend in programming the game than hacking an 3rd party engine.

The port should be quite fast, because I already did it once Smiley

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 05:46:42 AM »

this looks amazing. following.
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »

A screen from the new C++ engine (oEngine), allowing me to do much nicer things !
The game engine was adapted to 2d quite easily. The 3d editor still needs some work.

- As you can see I changed a bit the design of ships, allowing not only elements on a grid. The ship designs will be nicer !
- Also I reworked on drawing, and a ship is now optimized in one draw-call.
- Using the oEngine editor allows me to have prefabs of ship pieces and reuse them (the 4 double engines are the same model).

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »

Well damn, that was quick.

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

I played a game like this once. But the graphics were minimalist - and it was HTML5.

I'll keep an eye on this topic Blink

EDIT: It was Captain Jameson. Smiley

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »

Yes, you can find captain jameson in my inspirations in the first post
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25454.0

I love CapJameson, but the game will be different, however.

cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »

Looking good. I like the lighting in the new shading. Without shading, the thrusters look a bit like mushrooms Smiley

It looks like parts can be added at angles, and I'm assuming the player can adjust that. The lack of tiles should bring plenty of algorithmic challenges.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use Unity given the difficulty debugging/testing/etc. I generally try to prototype in Unity, then gradually migrate my code away from dirct dependence on it, but it's a constant struggle.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »

Yes gears, non aligned blocks are a bit more complex but more in terms of design !
I've seen you blog, interesting challenges ! I've also seen you have collision meshes only on the side of your obstacles, is that automatic ?

Here's a screenshot of the current dev...

I decided to not implement missiles & explosions right now in the new engine. I'll try to concentrate on ideas about just moving, avoiding other ships (Like these ideas... Then I'll see about combat.

Comin' soon : Engine trails, and other ennemies

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »

As I want the world you evolve to be living, and that ships have a real utility, I needed to have some AI.
So I worked a bit on "Behavior Tree" this weekend. This is a form of artificial intelligence, involving sequences of sequences of things to do.

You can see below what some of the ships will do.
They are carriers, and their task is to move any found crate to a specific point.
The logic is
- Find a crate to move and go near it
- Use grapnel (yes there is a grapnel and it's quite cool) to catch it
- Pull the crate to the specified point
- Repeat the process

You can find a good article on Behavior Trees here.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2012, 04:58:09 AM »

That's looking and sounding really interesting. Would be interested in seeing a video of it in action Smiley

cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2012, 05:49:27 AM »

Looking good!

Yes gears, non aligned blocks are a bit more complex but more in terms of design !
I've seen you blog, interesting challenges ! I've also seen you have collision meshes only on the side of your obstacles, is that automatic ?

Yes, automatic in the sense that they're generated dynamically according to proximity to other objects.

voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2012, 05:55:48 AM »

Sorry that I haven't read the whole thread but this looks fantastic. I played a game with a similar idea quite a long time back, a Java multiplayer game called Astro Battle, but it was far too glitchy to be enjoyable. I'd love to see it done right!

Your movement model makes me nostalgic for Subspace Continuum -- which is definitely a good thing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic