Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:39:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingwurdle (iPhone)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: wurdle (iPhone)  (Read 15516 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

Hey TIGS crew!  I wanted to, um, blatantly whore my new indie game.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have a demo.  BUT, it's dirt cheap; a mere $1.99!  Here's a screenshot of it:

http://www.semisecretsoftware.com/wurdle
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287712243&mt=8

It just made it into the app store tonight.  I would love to hear any feedback or anything, as we're allowed/encouraged to update the software periodically.  Thanks!  WARNING: this is definitely more casual than indie indie.  But it is a great way to kill a few minutes, and we put a lot of effort into making it feature complete without going casual-overboard with bullshit trophies and stuff  Grin

Adam

cup full of magic charisma
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »

I guess you went off in a very slim tangent there as you want feedback for it and isn't just trying to sell a product. I hope. Lips Sealed

Don't have an iPhone so I can't try it, sorry.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »

Yeah...if this IS blatantly whoring, hopefully a moderator will happily delete it.  However, I would love to hear feedback in some form or other, or god forbid any bugs made it through, those would be great to hear about too.  We will hopefully make more games, so the more detailed responses we get the better!

Also, I don't have an iPhone either  Gentleman

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »

Downloaded it, played a quick game. Fun stuff, but I have my idle on for fairly low, and if I would stop to look at my options, it would sleep my iPod. Either have it so that the screen goes dark first before it goes to sleep, or make it so that the iPod doesn't idle when it's somebody is playing (if you can).

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:56:42 AM »

I don't mind you whoring your game here as long as you're prepared to actually take feedback. The price is low, so most people here with iphones are probably willing to help you out for the sake of indie dev solidarity.

And I have no objection to casual games. I think casual is actually a core market for indie devs, since it is by far the biggest market, and has the best budget/revenue ratio. I also think that casual games can be creative and awesome. I can't believe how many hours I sunk into 'Tower Bloxx', for example. There is something pure about the best casual games, like it is the enjoyment of gaming distilled down to its pure essence, and then dispensed in a single drop into your brain.

1) I love the sounds. But you need an audio feedback for when a valid word has been made (before you lift your finger). Currently, the game gives a little visual feedback, but you can't always see it under your hand. (I think iphone devs need to become more aware of this fact in general). Maybe a quick vibrate would be a nice option too.

2) The control method is awesome. It made me wish Popcap would put out Bookworm on this device, and then I would never ever do work ever again.

3) I love that you have a network highscore table. But I wish that, once I authorise submission to the table, it would load in the current high scores and store them in the iphone to use as the default high score table. I clicked 'yes' to authorise online submission, and then I looked at my high score table and thought 'YES, top score' but then I figured out it was only the local table, which was disappointing.

4) It's also a shame to have to launch safari (and quit the game) in order to see the high scores. If you can post the scores from within the game, I can't believe you can't retrieve the current top five from within the game. You should make this a top priority I think - online highscore tables are extremely motivating for people.

/edit - Ah, now I see that you write the player's worldwide position on the local high score list, e.g. '90th'. That's better than what I thought you had, but I still think it would be good to be shown the top 3 scores by default.

5) I agree with cyber95 about the sleep issue.

6) Any performance optimizations you can find would make it more responsive, and strengthen the bond between eye, finger and brainstem. It feels just a little sluggish now.

7) A restart button in case you get shit letters. - maybe if you shake the phone really hard? /edit OOh, you can shake the board! nice. nevermind on this one.

Overall though, great worthwhile game. I can't wait for 1.1.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:24:32 AM by Benzido » Logged
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:02:38 AM »

I assume there's no way to test this unless I have either a Mac or an iPhone?

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:09:06 AM »

I guess it'd work on an ipod Touch, too, as long as it doesn't use any phone specific features.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »

I guess it'd work on an ipod Touch, too, as long as it doesn't use any phone specific features.

Yar, this is quite right.

cyber95, Benzido - thanks so much for the feedback guys!  I forwarded it on to the coder, I think these are all really reasonable bits of feedback that will definitely be incorporated.  The only thing I know we can't do is "slight" vibration.  I believe the only vibrate we can do is like "you're getting a phone call" vibration, which is lame.  I wanted to use it for a bunch of stuff.  Special audio cue for when you've got a good word is a really good idea especially.  Thanks again!

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »

Do us a favour and let us know how much money you make, ok?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »

Here's a screencap of my recent videochat with Adam.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »

hahahahahahaha

Gentleman

I think I am allowed to say that we sold 150 copies last night.  So far that's all I know!  It's way more encouraging than I was expecting though.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »

Now gimme an iPod touch so I can try this.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:47:18 PM »

What's the size of the team? 2?

@doomlaser, mark johns
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »

I got totally hooked on this game and spent hours playing it today.  Tired

There are a couple of bugs, FYI. One is that sometimes a word sits there completed, all highlighted, but it doesn't clear away until you tap it again. And the other is that, very rarely, the game crashes.
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »

There are a couple of bugs, FYI. One is that sometimes a word sits there completed, all highlighted, but it doesn't clear away until you tap it again. And the other is that, very rarely, the game crashes.
I noticed that first one, too. Never had the game crash on me, though, but I've had other iPod apps crash on me randomly, so I don't think that the game crashing is particularly the app's fault. I mean, I've had the contacts list crash on me, even.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »

Awesome :D  About the getting hooked, I mean...the sitting there completed thing is a known issue actually, but I'll pass on that it's getting noticed.  It has to do with the myriad different touch-related events in the API i think?  Sometimes it just misses the touch release for some reason.

What's the size of the team? 2?

Yeah, my friend Eric had like 80% of this coded and asked me if I would help out with some of the art and design, so it's just the two of us.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 07:36:38 AM »

Just wanted to post a sales update!  Here are the numbers we did for yesterday (August 13):

US317
UK20
Germany6
Various13

NOTE: these are units sold, not cash amounts or anything Tongue

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »

Am I the only one to see HALO PC in the first line?
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »

hahahahhaha

Gentleman

well done sir!  Also, we should have a new update in a week or two to address some of the minor bugs that have been cropping up.  Sometime in the next month will be a new update with better sound fx as well!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »

Awesome work, Adam!  I don't have an iPhone ( Cry ), but I'm glad to see one of you guys released an app and its doing well.  Also, I love word games!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic