Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:10:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAnnouncing the Liberated Pixel Cup!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Announcing the Liberated Pixel Cup!  (Read 7614 times)
T3604
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

Opengameart.org is very proud to announce that we are collaborating with the Free Software Foundation and the Creative Commons to bring you the Liberated Pixel Cup, a two month long summer contest about creating a consistent set of art and then making awesome games with it!

As you might imagine, this is big news for OGA -- there's no better way for us to further our mission of bringing artists and developers together to make awesome free and open source games than having the opportunity to work together with the CC and the FSF towards making that happen!

So, what are you waiting for?  Go, check out the site, and join us on IRC at #liberatedpixelcup on irc.freenode.net
(click here to chat from your browser)!
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:53:06 AM »

Looks good.

This is a bit overboard, but passable, though:
Just to be clear, we cannot accept games that require any of the following:  Flash, Silverlight, XNA, Unity, Windows, MacOS (or OSX), iOS, the official Oracle JVM, or similar.

Yeah.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »

Just to be clear, we cannot accept games that require any of the following:  Flash, Silverlight, XNA, Unity, Windows, MacOS (or OSX), iOS, the official Oracle JVM, or similar.
lol

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
lendrick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Looks good.

This is a bit overboard, but passable, though:
Just to be clear, we cannot accept games that require any of the following:  Flash, Silverlight, XNA, Unity, Windows, MacOS (or OSX), iOS, the official Oracle JVM, or similar.

First off, lest people walk away from this with a gigantic misconception about the rules, I need to quote some additional context:

Just to be clear, we cannot accept games that require any of the following:  Flash, Silverlight, XNA, Unity, Windows, MacOS (or OSX), iOS, the official Oracle JVM, or similar.  It is perfectly acceptable if your game runs on any of these platforms, but it must also work on an open platform [...]

(Honestly, I'd really prefer if you edit your post to include that bit, as people who don't go to the site and actually read the rules will see it and get the wrong impression.)

The point isn't to say that your game isn't allowed to run on Windows; it's that it must run on a completely free-as-in-freedom platform in addition to any other platforms that it runs on.  This isn't about restricting developers, it's about not restricting users.  It's extremely likely that any game entered into the contest will be easy to port to Windows, and I'm suspect that many entrants will release a Windows binary.  But, given that the contest is being run by three free culture organizations for the purpose of adding to the commons, it would be silly of us to accept entries that require people to run non-libre software.

I should also point out that the contest is being funded by donors who support this cause.  People like moi (above) who dislike the rules for whatever reason are completely free not to participate. Smiley

http://opengameart.org
Free, legal art for Open Source games.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:03 AM »

most users feel very restricted about downloading flash player
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »

So what's it? HTML5?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
lendrick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

So what's it? HTML5?

No, not just HTML5.  There are a plenty of other options, but I get the feeling that this particular contest may be a bit too far outside of your comfort zone.

most users feel very restricted about downloading flash player

You are, as I said, welcome to participate or not.  There are plenty of other game making contests out there, many of them specifically for flash.  I would recommend one of those instead if that's what you prefer. Smiley

http://opengameart.org
Free, legal art for Open Source games.
richardjames13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »

An example of the sort of possible entries are
  • python using pygame or similar
  • C/C++ using SDL
  • HTML 5

Henry141
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

Remember also that it doesnt say that it can't be written in Java, only that it mustn't require the official Oracle JVM. I'm guessing that it's perfectly acceptable in the competion to write the game in Java as long as it can run on the OpenJDK platform, rather than requiring the Oracle one.

And of course you could just use Python, C++, Perl, or any other language with open source implementations. It's not as restrictive as it sounds.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:10:18 PM »

Does it also mean that your source code must be open source? :/

Master of all trades.
Henry141
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »

I'm guessing it does mean that- it's being run partly by the FSF after all.
pelle
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »

I think this is a great idea and I hope I find time to participate (although I doubt it; maybe next year?). Which reminds me I must find some time to clean up my java4k source code and release that.

Limitations would not affect me much, but I think that is a bad thing. A very fun thing about competitions is forcing myself to do things I normally do not do, which is great for inspiration and also a sure way to learn something new.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »

Just a note, this is happening right now. Seems like they kind of info-dumped and left these a few places without following up. I'll break it down because this compo has some pretty substantial prizes  Hand Money Left, and I know there is some REALLY good talent on this forum that could use the exposure.

Art Competition (June 1st - June 30th)
$1500 USD: grand prize (team or individual)
$500 USD: secondary prize, individual only

Coding Competition (July 1st - July 31st)
$1500 USD: grand prize (team or individual)
$500 USD: secondary prize, team only
$1500 USD: HTML5 game prize (Mozilla's contribution)

Requirements:

Everything must use GPL v3 and run under open license software. The idea is that everything compiles/runs on the Linux platform, and helps the open software initiative. They want the art to match their style guide, and I'm assuming they are looking for RPG style games. But the biggest goal is to push coders and artists to release GPL products. Mozilla is sponsoring the HTML5 portion, so I'm assuming any HTML5 games that win will get coverage from Mozilla's site. Also, this means that games made in Unity, AS3/Flex, Game Maker, etc. will not be accepted unless you can provide open-source libraries of the compilers.

Art Style Guide: http://lpc.opengameart.org/static/lpc-style-guide/index.html

Liberated Pixel Cup Contest

http://lpc.opengameart.org/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:29:17 PM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Ragzouken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »

I am interested in joining this for the coding stage! Not sure I want to commit a whole month (unless I work on/off), but I think I'm going to give it a go anyway Smiley

Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 06:44:44 AM »

GPL v3 seems a bit much for graphical tile sets.  Either you retain ownership of your art or you put it out into the public domain.  What kind of restrictions does this put on game makers that want to use my tile set after the contest is over?  Must they include a raw copy of my art in every free or non-free game they make?

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

I'm not sure if I understand correctly; Do you have to make your own art for the first competition, and use that for the second programming competition?
What if you only want to enter the second competition, can you use art provided by the first competition from other teams?

Would be cool if you guys could also provice a list of programming languages that will be allowed, I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »

GPL v3 seems a bit much for graphical tile sets.  Either you retain ownership of your art or you put it out into the public domain.  What kind of restrictions does this put on game makers that want to use my tile set after the contest is over?  Must they include a raw copy of my art in every free or non-free game they make?
From the rules:
License: Your art must be available under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 License and the GNU GPL 3.0.  You may license your art under any additional license(s) that you choose.
You can also license your work under a more permissive license in addition to GPL and CC-BY-SA if you want to, so you can make it more free, just not less free.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly; Do you have to make your own art for the first competition, and use that for the second programming competition?
What if you only want to enter the second competition, can you use art provided by the first competition from other teams?

Would be cool if you guys could also provice a list of programming languages that will be allowed, I'm having a hard time thinking of one.
Yes, that's the entire point; you use random art you steal from the first competition for use in the second competition. That's the entire point of free licenses; they allow people to steal your stuff and make new stuff with it.

As for the programming languages, I know that Java using OpenJDK is allowed. .NET using MONO, notably, is NOT allowed (or at least strongly discouraged, see the FAQ page). It would be nice if someone could compile a list of languages/libraries that could be used, yes.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 05:52:58 AM »

Liberated Pixel Cup programming part starts tomorrow. I'll be joining unless something weird stops me (I had to drop out of 7DFPS because what I tried to do was not technically feasible for me and I didn't have the time to start over). Anybody else from here going to join?
kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »

This sounds really neat, I'm participating too with a chess like board game concept that I want to turn into pure epic.
As far as technologies go, I've decided to try out HTML 5 for this one and I'm currently trying to decide between LimeJS and EntityJS, but I more or less incline towards Lime right now.

aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Any reason C# and Mono + MonoGame is not allowed?

My site: Spotted Zebra
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic