Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:09:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPainting ALL THE THINGS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Painting ALL THE THINGS  (Read 18751 times)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »

Day FINAL
NEIN! continue!

photoshop file with commented layers:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22917936/tig_repaint_2girl2.psd

The nose and mouth lacks depth, and there's no shape definition of the edge of the forehead. The rimlight hitting the forehead has a yellow tint, but the same light hitting the hair has a very neutral white color, which doesn't make sense. You shouldn't use pure black for the shadowy parts of the hair either.

I'm not sure if your girlfriend has the same kind of mascara as the girl you painted in your previous picture, if they're simply shadow colours there are really no similar ones anywhere else in the picture - it's better if you first apply shadows with correct colours and then add different colours and mix them.

Also you shouldn't use only one brush stroke when you want to add freckles, they're details and if you want them there you should at least put some work into them!

I'm being rough on you because I think you could do much better if whipped, I really really like your improvements so far!

(and if you want inspiration: http://gorillaartfare.com/  www.cghub.com )

EDIT: yes I should've fixed the mouth up more. An (awesome) tip is to flip your canvas horizontally (or vertically) from time to time, you'll spot errors much, much easier that way.

I AM FREE!
ink.inc
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 05:40:12 AM »

OKAY ONE MORE DAY
ink.inc
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:27 AM »

also holy shit that .psd is amazingly helpful pen

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »

also holy shit that .psd is amazingly helpful pen

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22917936/tig_repaint_girl.psd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22917936/tig_repaint_girl2.psd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22917936/tig_repaint_girl3.psd
The .psd:s for the last picture's overpaints.
layers not commented and the first one I did a lot of work on layers that I collapsed.

I AM FREE!
ink.inc
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

progress gif before going to class

adjusted position of her left eye and mouth, added some more meat to her cheeks, added that yellow lighting to hair, messed with shades a bit more, added more gloss to lips
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:52:35 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 02:52:13 AM »

ink.inc
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

busy working on game stuff, but i'll start on another piece tomorrow!~!!11111
ink.inc
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »

DAY ONE

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:53:26 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:30 AM »

couldnt get any sleep so i did a first pass

ink.inc
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »

DAY 2

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 02:30:34 AM »

if you post the ref. you should prepare your body for overpaints  Well, hello there!

edit: And there's TONNES of improvements. Add a rim light with some fancy colour and don't be afraid to drop some blotches of more saturated colours down.

Hand Any KeyShocked:handthumbsupR:Hand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up Right

I AM FREE!
ink.inc
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 03:15:52 AM »

done!

used more for lighting reference than facial structure, but here it is:

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »

now do one of these on your ref and then look critically at your painting.

The weird parts I can see atm is the eyebrow/nose intersection (and the eyebrows in general). The nose is also a bit flat. Since the thread is about faces it's not as relevant, but comparing the neck of yours to the ref (independent of how much of a ref it is) you'll notice yours is much, much longer.

You shouldn't pick such dull pictures for lightning reference btw, they're photoshopped to hell and back Tongue

I AM FREE!
ink.inc
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

mmm, you're right pen. i guess the next step for me is to get my drawings to more accurately represent my subjects. whenever i draw, i've always got a tendency to distort my subject to fit a certain aesthetic- long necks (from looking at yoshitaka amano's work) , and high cheeckbones/sharp features/phat lipz (from taking most of my references from Vogue magazine when i first started drawing).

which is why a lot of them look so similar.

it's not that i can't do it tho!~!!!111

(oddly enough all of these ones are dudes)

also, i've got to make use of that image-flippy thing more often; really helps to catch fuck-ups.

also also i've got to pick better references :<
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:20:28 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:59 AM »

DAY ONE?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:48:49 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »

major artist's block today; nothing i drew looked right, scrapped work, will give it another shot tomorrow
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »

You're making some excellent progress.  Certainly a lot faster than I did when I was mucking about with painting.

I wish I could say something to help, but Pen looks like he's doing an excellent job of that already.

My one suggestion would be that maybe it's better to move to a more art-focused website like conceptart.org or gameartisans?  There's a lot more artists there so you'd get a lot more useful feedback.  Plus they have weekly challenges.  I joined those for months on end and that's what really forced me to improve my work. 

Also if you have a bit of spare change lying around the art department videos are on sale for 6.99, which is a steal since some of these used to be worth $60.  I learned a hell of a lot from watching videos that I never could have while reading loomis (It may be my brain is just wired differently).  I have been slacking lately, but I did put up some reviews of the videos I downloaded so you can get a better idea of which videos you should purchase specifically:

http://ryansumo.blogspot.com/search/label/reviews

Anyway keep up the great work man!

ink.inc
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »

haha thanks

WIP DAY TWO

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 04:44:01 AM »

overdeyailed face above an underdetailed bust maaaaaan

ink.inc
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »

wat can i say im not a boob guy B)

ya you're right tho, i just get too lazy looking up reference material for clothes/armor and stuff :<
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic