Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066641 Posts in 43538 Topics- by 35567 Members - Latest Member: GordonArcher

November 25, 2014, 10:21:41 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingFall Free (a falling action game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fall Free (a falling action game)  (Read 688 times)
JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »

A falling action game
This is the first game I'm putting to TIGSource for feedback.  This started out as a quickie creative jam thing a few months ago where the theme was "freefall."  I ended up liking it, so I decided to spend some time polishing the movement and the level design. 

Please try it!
I'd like whatever feedback I can get, but particularly what you think about the way the movement feels and the overall design of the level. 

I'm thinking it's going to be just a one-level freeware game, meaning it's going to run all of about 3 or 4 minutes from start to finish at the longest.  Checkpoints will be implemented soon, and will be optional.

This is not supposed to be an easy game!  It's supposed to be the sort of game that tests both whether the player can get to the end and how high a score they can get by that point.

(I intend to also create an endless mode, either as an alternate gameplay mode or as a separate release.)

Here's the current version, which isn't yet a complete build (so when you get to the end, there's just endless space).  I've made it in Game Maker, so it's a Windows executable.

Fall Free 4/14/2012 (22 MB)

CONTROLS:

Left/right - move
X - Charge dash

Also looking for music composer!
Also, the file's kind of huge, because I've included two MP3 samples representative of the kind of music I'm thinking I'd like for the project, since I'm also hoping that I might be able to find some musically inclined person who thinks they might enjoy composing an original upbeat, aggressive (chiptune-y or rock) track for the BGM!  To change the music, press "2" or "3" either at the title screen, or before you restart the level after you die.

Thanks to anyone who checks this out!

harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Fun little game. The controls are fine, but I'm not digging the dashing. The dashing itself is fine, but I don't like dashing into the breakable boxes. I think if the breakable crates were removed, the game would be better since it could focus on high speed dodging rather than also having to press dash at the correct time to advance. Coincidentally, the farthest I got is pictured in the second screenshot of your post. I dashed and broke the first two boxes, but because I dashed a little early, I smacked into the boxes right after.
janitar1
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »

Fun game! very addicting and challenge seems to be well balanced. I rather enjoy the dashing aspect of it, it adds to the challenge. Maybe for those that dont like it, add a mode without the boxes and dashing.
JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

Thanks for playing, you two. 

I'm glad the challenge seemed well balanced, janitar1.  Since I basically locked down movement and speed, it's been all about making the level design and hostile objects feel fair and beatable while remaining difficult. 

I'll think a bit about the boxes.  It's a little too hard for me not to see them as integral to the design as I feel like it gives a second function to the dash and it makes the player think more about how and when they'll use the dash.  But games with a tighter focus have their virtue, too.  I'll reflect on it.

If anyone has any more input, I'd be happy to hear it! 

JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »

Also, in case anyone's interested, I've made a second, smaller game that plays with the same ever-falling-downward concept, starring a chicken who can flap her wings to small effect.  It's a bit slower and less challenging.  It's called ChickenFall and you can get it here.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »

That looks more like a rooster to me than a "her" Tongue

Master of all trades.
janitar1
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »

Hey the chicken fall game was't half bad! You know, if you turned that into a falling plane or helicopter, took out the blocks and just added obstacles in the sky, that could be a more 'realistic scenario'.. just some food for thought ^.^
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic