Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:14:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGood, free bug tracking service for < 5 ppl?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Good, free bug tracking service for < 5 ppl?  (Read 2466 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »

We're wrapping up our game, and random tasks keeping coming up, so we'd like to use a bug tracking service to help track and prioritize these things. Any one have experience using any bug tracking services out there that have worked well for them?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »

Not really a bugtracker but if I'm not wrong I think that trello.com could help, it's awesome.

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »

If you have your own web server, Mantis is a simple and functional bug tracking software.

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »

You can set up trello in about 5 seconds and it's hands-down the best general purpose tool for "I need a list of lists."

I like Pivotal Tracker a bit better for general project management, and I find something with a little more structure is nice for bug-fixing, but have yet to find my perfect match. Mantis is alright, Bugzilla is really clunky, etc.

Nostrils!
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:44:56 AM »

We're wrapping up our game, and random tasks keeping coming up, so we'd like to use a bug tracking service to help track and prioritize these things. Any one have experience using any bug tracking services out there that have worked well for them?

Depending on the size of your project (number of people & number of issues you need to track) then a spreadsheet may be all that you need. They are flexible, have filters, sorting, & macros for colouring are customizable etc. For a team you need one that is shard and can support multiple users, perhaps google docs or similar.

I've worked on projects (game and website) distributed on the web with a distributed team multiple developers and testers all communicating via the web. Here is an example of the kind of thing that has worked, unlike this example, they can crow to have a large number of features/issues and still work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AozqoirbIY1fdEJXMjFYaHY5bElHZWt1WWJrYnladXc&output=ods
or
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AozqoirbIY1fdEJXMjFYaHY5bElHZWt1WWJrYnladXc&output=html

We maintain two separate lists, a backlog of features to be put into the project and a list of issues raised by testers. Whoever needs to see each page can look easily and use filters to review just what they need and sort on multiple columns to make the imperatives rise to the top.

This was basically the simplest most inclusive system i've seen and is a variant of similar processes that have been used on multi-million dollar console projects. Of course it does lack features of some more targeted web solutions like trello etc.

share and enjoy
sean

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 01:43:41 AM »

I'd like to throw Redmine into the discussion. It's a hell to set up, but this is to be expected from Ruby applications in general. And some poor soul regularly builds all-in-one installers and even virtual machine images so you don't have to loose three days and all of your hair and teeth. Once set up, it's a nice project management software with issue tracking, time tracking, bindings to most version control systems and so on. And it's pretty quick, or at least much quicker than my previous Mantis setup.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »

Bugtracker.NET (ASP.NET) is certainly not as fully featured as some, but its done fine for me, and I cant see why it wouldnt work for a team of a few people.

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »

Yeah after playing around with some things..I think we're gonna stick with Google spreadsheets Tongue It's amazing how unwieldy some of these online services are. Especially git hub issues...so opaque.

Depending on the size of your project (number of people & number of issues you need to track) then a spreadsheet may be all that you need. They are flexible, have filters, sorting, & macros for colouring are customizable etc. For a team you need one that is shard and can support multiple users, perhaps google docs or similar.

I've worked on projects (game and website) distributed on the web with a distributed team multiple developers and testers all communicating via the web. Here is an example of the kind of thing that has worked, unlike this example, they can crow to have a large number of features/issues and still work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AozqoirbIY1fdEJXMjFYaHY5bElHZWt1WWJrYnladXc&output=ods
or
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AozqoirbIY1fdEJXMjFYaHY5bElHZWt1WWJrYnladXc&output=html

We maintain two separate lists, a backlog of features to be put into the project and a list of issues raised by testers. Whoever needs to see each page can look easily and use filters to review just what they need and sort on multiple columns to make the imperatives rise to the top.

This was basically the simplest most inclusive system i've seen and is a variant of similar processes that have been used on multi-million dollar console projects. Of course it does lack features of some more targeted web solutions like trello etc.

share and enjoy
sean

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »

The github issue tracker does have it's problems, but it can be fine if you learn to work with the system.

There are some nice bonuses when working with the github issue tracker. Like being able to close issues from commit messages (just add "Close #13" to the commit message). Also, being able to reference issues from anywhere is nice. You can add a comment like "Interferes with #13" to a specific line of code in a commit, and the comment and the relevant code snippet will show up in issue #13.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »

If you don't already have adopted (religiously) a source control tool, you should take a look at Fossil: http://www.fossil-scm.org

It's made for small team that just want to focus on their project, get organized but not having to manage several services and a server to get that organization.
To do that, it embedd source control, wiki, forum, issue tracking etc into the repository. Also, fossil itself and all it's commands are in one unique binary (that you can provide easily instead of having to install yet another DSVC).

I think that a lot of small indie team that are not online (or even if they are) could benefit a lot from using fossil. It looks like it remove a lot of hassle.

However, I didn't try it myself yet so if you give it a try, feel free to report your experiences.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 05:34:05 AM »

I don't want to come across as religious, but you do get most of that stuff out of the box with git+github. The main feature of Fossil seems to be it's default auto-sync mode. Which could be set up with git, but it would require some effort.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »

I don't want to come across as religious, but you do get most of that stuff out of the box with git+github. The main feature of Fossil seems to be it's default auto-sync mode. Which could be set up with git, but it would require some effort.

Actually, no.

Having a DSVC+online issue service is not the same at all than having all in one package. It's the whole point of Fossil (it's explain in the whole website).

First, you can work with the wiki, issues and other project documents without being connected.
This is incredibely important for some people (like me) who wants to be able to work offline without having to get online to  update information (that would be lost anyway because some informations will be forgotten or badly transcribed later).

Second, what if you don't want to make it public?
Then github/bitbucket/googlecode are not a possibility. You have to setup you own services, on a private server, or have to use something simpler.

Third, assuming you can setup your own service, it will be long, hard and require tons of knowledge that are not required for the project itself (in particular for most non-web based games).

Fourth, what if you don't want to put you project online at all. I have several projects that I like to work alone on my computers or with some friends and really don't need to put it online (even if I have my own server online). We can easily share the source code with decentralized tools but it's not true for the rest of the tools that we might want to use. I have one project with a separate repository that have only text documents that act like a wiki and an issue system. It's ok because I'm alone on it, but once I get 2 or 3 people in this project, it can't be used.

In those conditions, fossil looks an interesting alternative to all the other dsvcs, simply because it move a lot of work out of you way.

Comparing git and fossil is a bit ridiculous to me (without trying to insult you, I just mean I don't see how you can get to this comparison) because they don't want to achieve the same thing at all. git and mercurial are about the code source only. Github is totally another thing and it have disadvantages like public code, limited issue tracking, etc. It is really nice for open source projets though, but not everybody are in conditions to use it (or bitbucket or google code) (even if bitbucket allow private repos, it's still too limited).
Fossil targets specific cases: you just want to work on your code, have tools to manage the project, not something fancy, but something that work well enough,  and that you don't need to understand how to setup a web service to put on.

I've done setting up TRAC and Redmine and other for years, for different projects. I've also tried different ways to manage little projects. My current way of thinking is that there is no good tool, only paper or a short list of issues in a text file work well for a project I'm alone in. But when I have projects with several persons, I must still setup some work environement. And that's really really lot of work for not a lot in the end.

Git mercurial and bazaar doesn't provide what fossil provide. github, bitbucket, launchpad and google code provide the missing part, but as an online service. That's a particular combination that is adequate for a lot of projects, but cannot match all kind of setup.

Also, assuming you are an indie game maker, using github(or any other online service) without paying for getting privacy is just killing the sells of the project. Successful (in the financial way) project that are opensource were not when they got open source, but opensourcing did make them even better at selling afterward (I m thinking about Aquaria for example) because of popularity and enhancement like making it cross-platform with the help of the community.

Also, don't forget that when you put source code in a service like github, you  don't have any control on the access of the service. It's true even if you pay for a private online server and manage it yourself. Having duplicate copies of you wiki, issues etc. and other documents of the project, like the code source, is maybe the most secure way to keep the project alive.

But not everybody needs that. Some do. It depends on the context.

I'm considering using fossil for some projects, but not all because they are not in the same context at all. Being religious about your tool is, to me, the best way to finish your evolution as a creator. (even if obviously, using the tool you like more to do the right thing it was invented for is the best way to be able to finish something).

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »

You raise some good points. I tend to forget that github isn't free to use for private repos, as I have access to a paid private github repo through my work. And for my hobby projects, bitbucket does the job.

So I retract my previous statement. But I'm glad I made it, because it resulted in you giving us a nice writeup Smiley

(But: I didn't compare Fossil to git, but rather to git+github or git+bitbucket.)

edit: It is worth noting that bitbucket is getting better by the minute. You can have up to 5 people collaborating on a private repo with issue tracking and a wiki.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »

Yes, I should have written it in the first place ^^;;;

Yeah bitbucket is nice because of private repos. The problem I had when trying is that it's really slow compared to just using my own private server online (with like 2 or 3 people having access to it).

But I pay for this, so bitbucket is still good when you don't want to put money in it.

Uykered
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:14 AM »

Thanks, Trello seems like the best option by far.
WaywardEmcee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 02:49:05 AM »

It's not free, but it's $24 a month. Which is like, the cost of eating out once. I have had great success with Assembla. Their cardwall in particular, was a great way to see where we were along the release.

Otherwise, just use Google Docs with a decent spreadsheet.

Follow me on the twitters: @WaywardEmcee.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 03:47:41 AM »

Thanks, Trello seems like the best option by far.
right? it's really great, I try to recommend it to everyone since I first used it.

Omiya Games
Level 1

Experimental #OneGameAMonth challenger. よろしく!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »

There's Trello, which is quick and easy to setup.  If you want something you can self-host, my preference is Collabtive: http://collabtive.o-dyn.de/

If you don't already have adopted (religiously) a source control tool, you should take a look at Fossil: http://www.fossil-scm.org
I love Fossil, and yet...it keeps crashing every time I make large commits (happens a lot more often than I'd like).

RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »

I created a pretty prolific -- yet easy to use -- bug tracker for my team's project. It has the following criteria:

Number
Issue
Branch (we use Github for version control)
Priority
Initiator
Date Reported
Date Fixed
Fixer
Status
Notes
Resolution notes

It's all really nicely prepared in a Google Sheets spreadsheet, and I can link it if there's interest! It's really handy, really organized, and empowering for people to fix bugs -- not only do people get the satisfaction of fixing a bug, but they get to see their name as "Fixer" for the whole team. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic