Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:29:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 61952 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »

I've spent between 15-30 minutes on each title I've judged this year, sometimes longer on the titles I enjoy more.
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2012, 08:42:38 PM »

how much do you cost? i need to know so i have pay out money saved up for when i submit my game
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »

It didn't occur to me at the time when I linked to the browser build of my game that Google Analytics would track people coming from judges.igf.com.

Sorry about this, I've replaced the link to the browser build to go through the devlog here on TIGSource so any judges going to the browser version will have their data lost amongst the TIGSource visitors.

I would suggest that any judges wanting to try out browser versions of games should copy and paste the url. Otherwise the time they have spent on the website and their location is tracked by any Google Analytics object that's floating around in the browser - and the developer will see where they came from on igf.com.

(In case you're wondering this was prompted by a singular visit that lasted over an hour, but I also did insist that judges use the offline builds. No other visits came from the site, but at least I've shut down the automatic snooping on the judges before any more get caught.)
woooooo crisis adverted

keep working hard and you'll soon be introduced to the secret IGF handshake

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Dragonmaw
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »

how much do you cost? i need to know so i have pay out money saved up for when i submit my game
4000/hr
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »

do you spend 30 minutes just because you can get a good idea of what each game is all about, or is it 30 minutes even for more advanced titles that may have a learning curve
sigfarter
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »

don't some games like, take many hours until the real game even starts?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2012, 10:33:32 PM »

All of the titles I have judged this year so far have shown their "true colors" within five minutes. Generally speaking I've been playing to the end of the first significant chunk of time. First world, first few levels, etc.

Might just be the games I've had to judge so far.
sigfarter
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »

games sukc anyway i can relaet to yuo bro
Dragonmaw
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »

i dunno about that
st33d
« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »

you think a lack of accountability makes people more honest?  Cheesy

edit: i guess we've already had this bitch fest once so i won't derail the thread any further, even if someone else wants to get the last word in or whatever, but man, that post sounded dumb, steed.

If the judges were supposed to be tracked then the review process would be completely open wouldn't it? So logically I would assume that the process is intended to be private. The motive for which isn't the issue, what matters is the status quo whilst the process is underway.

Now, if like you, I kept on insisting that everyone is a cunt - then I would go out of my way to piss on that process.

What makes people honest and decent is giving them a fucking chance to be. Not standing over their shoulder constantly egging them on to let you down again. But if that's you and your mates well that's your sad story.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »

ok, i lied, i guess, and i know i should probably just shut up, but i kinda have to respond because of the "everyone is a cunt" bit.

but ill try to keep it short

i never said anyone was a cunt. i appreciate the fact that a ton of work goes into the igf, and i like most of the people involved. i don't think that "everyone is a cunt." if i really hated it all that much, i wouldn't waste my time posting about it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:58:14 AM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2012, 07:55:14 AM »

From a technical perspective I don't bother anonymizing referer headers.  I guess I don't think full anonymity of judging is that important.  The import bit to me (as the numbers/database guy) is that I track outbound clicks.  A big part of the new system is knowing when someone has downloaded/clicked on a build, and then constantly reminding people to report back with scores.  There's a limit on the number of "checked out" games, too; the system prohibits new downloads/clicks/etc until judges fill out the rating form on the existing games.

Unless the entrants are putting direct links in their notes text fields, there isn't any way to play builds without the system authorizing and tracking it.  This makes it much more feasible to distribute a minimum number of ratings across games.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
st33d
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »

To be fair I only bothered to "fix" the Red Rogue link. The other ones for work I assumed that my management won't be technically minded enough to go through Google Analytics until they get a result they don't like out of the competition. By then it'll be too late.

But for my own game it just felt really weird. I mean I could look up my stats, then go round their house (at probably the time they played), knock their door and go, "so how was it?" Then follow up with a knowing wink.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »

To be fair I only bothered to "fix" the Red Rogue link. The other ones for work I assumed that my management won't be technically minded enough to go through Google Analytics until they get a result they don't like out of the competition. By then it'll be too late.

But for my own game it just felt really weird. I mean I could look up my stats, then go round their house (at probably the time they played), knock their door and go, "so how was it?" Then follow up with a knowing wink.

lol ok
sigfarter
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »

why am i not a juidge
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »

why am i not a juidge

your name has two 'r's in it...sorry maybe next year

play hydlide 2
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »

So, we're finally getting an Excellence in Narrative category. THANK YOU IT'S ABOUT TIME. Smiley

Of course, now I can actually fret and worry about the results instead of thinking "well, it's a pretty long shot..."
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »

w00t! About time Smiley

Nostrils!
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »

Of course, now I can actually fret and worry about the results instead of thinking "well, it's a pretty long shot..."
I started worrying about the same thing. :-(   :-)

st33d
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »

Quiet year innit?

My money's on Super Hexagon and Hotline Miami, dead cert noms. I don't like SH myself but I'm not so up my own arse to see that everyone else loves it.

(edit: Not played HM yet actually. Going to gamble and get it - usually this turns out badly for me, been burned by a lot of "praised purchases" recently. Wish me luck.)

(edit edit: Fuck. PC only.  Cry )
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic