Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:19:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 61502 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 23, 2012, 07:41:57 AM »

That would be sweet if Hotline Miami won.

st33d
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »

Does anyone know when judging closes?

I'm wondering if I've time to get a few puzzles featuring the water-buoyancy mechanic in Flightless into the demo. You can't use ladders in water but you can use the surface of it to perform "submerged beach ball" jumps over traps and do oyster dives to hit switches. Another riff on jumping without jumping.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: November 24, 2012, 09:33:59 AM »

Does anyone know when judging closes?

I'm wondering if I've time to get a few puzzles featuring the water-buoyancy mechanic in Flightless into the demo. You can't use ladders in water but you can use the surface of it to perform "submerged beach ball" jumps over traps and do oyster dives to hit switches. Another riff on jumping without jumping.

IIRC someone mentioned you can take advantage of the fact judges are human and most will put it off till the end. So you can update whenever.

I only know one of my judges played so far but not sure otherwise.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »

(edit: Not played HM yet actually. Going to gamble and get it - usually this turns out badly for me, been burned by a lot of "praised purchases" recently. Wish me luck.)

(edit edit: Fuck. PC only.  Cry )
are you on mac? according to devolver the mac port is almost done

st33d
« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »

sweet tits yes
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know when the judging period ends? None of our SCEE or SCEA codes seem to have been redeemed yet for our Vita game Aqua Kitty Sad

Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: November 30, 2012, 06:12:31 AM »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know when the judging period ends? None of our SCEE or SCEA codes seem to have been redeemed yet for our Vita game Aqua Kitty Sad

Pretty sure the first round (the one with lots and lots of jurors) ends December 3rd.

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »

Pretty sure the first round (the one with lots and lots of jurors) ends December 3rd.

thanks - hopefully someone will check the game over the weekend then.

st33d
« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:13 AM »

I remember getting a one week warning last year. It was an appropriate kick up the bum to make sure everything was up to date.
Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: November 30, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »

I've been meaning to update my game once more but I haven't. I seriously need to pull myself together and at least get one update in this weekend that fixes some known bugs... But all that content I was planning to add...

Dragonmaw
« Reply #270 on: November 30, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

Phase 1 ends December 3rd.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »

Phase 1 ends December 3rd.
thanks for confirming the date - so should all games have been played by that point?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

I'm not the one to ask about that; Brandon or Matt are.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

IGF finalists get a free pass for Steam

The Independent Game Festival has partnered with Valve to set another means of rewarding participants. All of the main competition finalists will automatically be given the option of publishing their titles on Steam. This is not a mandatory requirement, but it is a prime opportunity for bypassing the usual headache of getting "discovered" by Steam or going through Greenlight.

It makes sense from Valve's perspective. Curating the numerous game submissions they receive is a real problem for them. Coming to an agreement like this with the IGF will take much of that burden off their shoulders. The IGF is a critical competition run by developers. They are well suited for picking out some of the most promising and interesting titles. Since the IGF is not tied to a particular company, they are also considerably more impartial, and won't be accused of pushing a marketing agenda.

This is also a pretty good move for the IGF itself. One of the biggest issues its faced in recent years is the grant attached to its most prestigious award. There have been a lot of criticism of this practice, and the way that it has effected the judging process. A deal like this with valve should placate a lot of those critics. All finalists for the competition will now have an implicit publishing deal for Steam, if they choose to take advantage of it. This is a very real incentive for all of the participants. And having it applied to all of the finalists will lessen the disparity between prizes.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »

merged with main IGF thread.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »

It makes sense from Valve's perspective. Curating the numerous game submissions they receive is a real problem for them.

But that's why they set up Greenlight...?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »

But that's why they set up Greenlight...?

Yes, it is why they set up Greenlight. But Greenlight hasn't been the magic bullet that some people hoped it would be. And I don't think Valve ever expected to lean on Greenlight as the go-to solution for discovering new indie games.

Offering a deal like this to the IGF is a great solution for Valve. They will be able to offer distribution deals to a relatively fixed number of high-quality indie games every year. And they won't have to go out and discover any of them, the IGF will do that for them. There's no guarantee that any of the IGF finalists will actually opt to publish their games on Steam, or that any of those games will be published on Steam in that same year. All the same, it is a way for Valve to rope in a number of talented indie developers.

And of course, we all know the attitude that Valve often takes with talented indies and mod teams. You can expect several IGF finalists in the coming years to get "acquired" by Valve.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »

If a game is an IGF finalist, than it should be good enough to be on Steam... why complicate things with Greenlight for those games?

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »

why complicate things with Greenlight for those games?

Giving IGF finalists a free pass makes sense. They've already been critically appraised by some of the best in the business. At the same time, there is still a reason to have a program like Greenlight around. Greenlight gives the community and regular Steam players some degree of involvement in the process. It's not a bad idea, but certainly shouldn't be the ONLY idea for addressing the discoverability problem.

I imagine any finalists this year who are already on Greenlight will remove their games from Greenlight. They will already have Steam approval, so there's no more need for them to pitch their game on Greenlight.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

Valve is slowing morphing into the borg ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic