Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:27:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 62012 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: March 29, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »

Not related to winners, but during my IGS soapbox talk I released some IGF judging stats: http://www.matthewwegner.com/igs-2013-soapbox-talk/#igf

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:37 AM »

Very interesting... Any chance you could post medians instead of (or in addition to) means?  Means are outlier-sensitive and clearly there are outliers here.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »

yeah, timw alone raised the average games rated by judges by a whole half point (actually it'd be slightly more than half a point; 900 games divided by 467)

the igf would be perfect if it would only use judges like timw

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: March 30, 2013, 03:10:46 AM »

dum why u erase post

I was getting all "what about this title and this title and this title and oh shit fuhgeddabowdit Eres is just talking about console-rpg-likes which doesn't include titles like Grimrock(not entered) and Bastion(Bastion got a bunch of noms but no prizes)".

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: March 30, 2013, 03:34:08 AM »

yeah i originally meant that the bias is specifically against "jrpg" (or jrpg-style games made by westerners, which are not jrpgs but are in the same genre), then someone asked if i had ever played a good indie rpg at all, so i named a few from both console rpg and pc rpg categories, because they didn't specify subgenre

i briefly considered naming bastion too as an example of a good indie rpg when i was asked about good ones, but, i wouldn't really consider bastion a rpg, it's more of a top down action game; even diablo is more of a rpg (since it has a variety of equipment, which bastion doesn't, it just has a few weapon choices). it's about as much of a rpg as zombie shooter and alien shooter are. plus i also wouldn't consider bastion an indie game (2 million in funding, published by warner brothers), so i chose not to name that one as one of my examples

so to be clear i think the bias i mentioned is specifically against traditional turn-based story-heavy rpgs, not action games with "rpg elements" like bastion, or action dungeon crawlers like grimrock. it's not really an igf thing though, that bias is common among modern gamers and game journalists in general

but this isn't the only genre bias of course, it's just the easiest example to identify. there are biases against niche games in general. there have been very few (if any) shmup finalists for example, simply because most players don't like shmups and aren't very good at them or informed about what makes a shmup good or bad

basically, i think the ultimate arbiter of whether a game is good or not isn't a generalized audience of all gamers, no matter how expert they are, but that game's particular audience, which is often niche. you can't expect someone who doesn't really play text adventures or fighting games or roguelikes to accurately judge whether a game is a good fighter or a good text adventure or a good roguelike, because those genres have standards that outsiders aren't familiar with

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: March 30, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »

Very interesting... Any chance you could post medians instead of (or in addition to) means?  Means are outlier-sensitive and clearly there are outliers here.

Sure!  I might be able to scrounge time to do a more detailed analysis, but for now:

Median ratings per entry:

5 - All entries
8 - Top 200
23 - Top 30

Median ratings from each judge:

16 - All judges
42 - Top 50
75 - Top 10

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: March 31, 2013, 01:00:18 AM »

Cool, thanks!  Was 16 the number of games 'assigned' to each judge?

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: March 31, 2013, 05:26:56 AM »

is it more likely that a game with more ratings become a finalist, or was there no correlation?

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »

Cool, thanks!  Was 16 the number of games 'assigned' to each judge?

Not really.  There wasn't one batch of assignments this year, but a continuous process of assigning games up to a threshold.  If you judged three of the games in your assignment pool, you'd get another three games to judge a day or two later.  Game assignments were prioritized on a few criteria.  This let the system assign games that needed more ratings, or games that needed particular hardware configurations, while still letting judges investigate games on their own.  There was a "checkout" limit where the system prevented you from downloading additional games if you had a high number of downloaded-but-unrated or assigned games pending.

Later in the judging cycle, I added a "Help Out" section to the filter options, which showed the 10 least-rated games.  We emailed judges about this, which helped bring up the minimum ratings-per-game.

Paul:  As near as I can tell, games with more views (and therefore more ratings) are more interesting games, and more interesting games tend to be finalists.  Comments on entries were visible to all judges, which helped with discovery.

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: March 31, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »

Wow, that sounds like a really nice system!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »

Kinda relevant
http://robertjacksonbennett.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/some-thoughts-about-awards/

thecatamites
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »

Do they still email people the judge reports? I haven't read all of the pages...  Embarrassed

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 18, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »

Do they still email people the judge reports? I haven't read all of the pages...  Embarrassed

that's a good point. i'm faintly curious myself.

play hydlide 2
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: April 19, 2013, 01:14:21 AM »

that's a good point. i'm faintly curious myself.

There are 1,200 pieces of judge-to-entrant feedback in the system (there is also a lot judge-to-jury feedback, in addition to the option judge-to-judge comments).

It's on my todo list!  Just been super busy pre- and post-GDC.  Sorry about the delay :/

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »

man i totally slept on this thread, and in doing so depriving myself of so many opportunities to shamelessly insert liquidsketch into the conversation Sad

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:23 AM »

can u send to igf a game that is free-to-play and only online multi-plyaer?

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »

Is this the thread where I complain about how I didn't win any awards and how all the winning games are over rated?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: April 30, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »

Is this the thread where I complain about how I didn't win any awards and how all the winning games are over rated?
welcome aboard

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: May 01, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

There are 1,200 pieces of judge-to-entrant feedback in the system (there is also a lot judge-to-jury feedback, in addition to the option judge-to-judge comments).

It's on my todo list!  Just been super busy pre- and post-GDC.  Sorry about the delay :/

I'm putting the final touches on my game, and getting the feedback to see what I can address would be great!

siskavard
« Reply #579 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

Hey gang, I'm new to this IGF stuff.

Do they open submissions every year on August 9th?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic