Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:47:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 61503 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: May 29, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »

Hey gang, I'm new to this IGF stuff.

Do they open submissions every year on August 9th?

Usually a little earlier (July-ish).  This year was delayed a month due to the new submission system.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
siskavard
« Reply #581 on: May 29, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »

Thanks!
thecatamites
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 06, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »

was the judge feedback ever sent out for this? i desire all crits Wizard

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: July 06, 2013, 01:01:15 AM »

IGF is free of charge to sent video games ? (if we sent it earlier )

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: July 06, 2013, 06:08:13 AM »

IGF is free of charge to sent video games ? (if we sent it earlier )

Nope.

I don't think so, at least I haven't gotten anything.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
pl1x
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 06, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »

You think it's a good idea to try the IGF? I mean $90 dollars for something that could change your whole life as an indie developer!

\"At the end of the day, having a great game. That\'s all that matters!\" - Emil Pagliarulo
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: July 06, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

Well , maybe if i got paid in time (for one of my jobs )
Fotr the moment i can't participate

And my game is a flash game
Not sure they even will play it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:06:23 PM by airman4 » Logged

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: July 06, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »

It's worth a shot, if you place finalist in any category then you get to sell your game on steam, which even if you do horribly you'll probably make at least a year's wages unless you're a family of 4 etc.

and they play any sorts of games, even if they're flash

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: July 06, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »

It's worth a shot, if you place finalist in any category then you get to sell your game on steam, which even if you do horribly you'll probably make at least a year's wages unless you're a family of 4 etc.

and they play any sorts of games, even if they're flash

I see
thanks very much for the infos
i'll see what can i do !!

I checked
http://www.igf.com/03submit.html

Okay
That proof i'm a true newbie in the indie field
Submissions are now closed
I'll check it for 2014 then and check other festival like that.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »

that's last years that is closed. this year's will be open in a few months or so

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »

also def. don't rely on the IGF for "success"  whatever metric you measure success by - make some friends in the gamedevsphere, work towards your ends in other ways as well

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

i think the key thing to realize is that nobody is going to "discover" your game and make you a millionaire, no matter how good your game is. you need to promote your game yourself. the igf's purpose by its own admission isn't to discover and promote unknown games, it's more of a popularity contest; if your game isn't that popular going in it won't become more popular magically by entering it

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »

there are igf winners from a couple years ago that no one remembers today lol
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: July 06, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »

that's partly because memories are short in general, no matter how big of a hit a game is people aren't going to remember it forever. for example gish was very big and an igf winner, but if you ask the average indie today what gish is they'd be like 'huh?'

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: July 06, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »

It's also partly because IGF winners are never the best games

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »

i wouldn't say 'never'. i'd say aquaria was the best game of all the 2007 entrants (or 2008, i forget which year it won). but that's the only one i can think of offhand where i thought the winning game was the best

there are always going to be divergent opinions tho, it's not desirable that i agree with every single winner, though it is desirable that the general public generally agrees with most of the winners, and that often isn't the case (e.g. blueberry garden)

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »

Yea, hopefully it will pop up. I was pleasantly surprised last year when it seemingly came out of nowhere (although that was April I think) and it was also shockingly useful. With two games, surely I'll get twice the interesting feedback this time?!  Droop

Amazing how it's not automated, where they can just export the comments and email em out. All in time I guess, their systems seem to be much improving year on year.

I'm not expecting to hear anything back from EGW, but that's cool as I think they were completely and unexpectedly swamped.

i think the key thing to realize is that nobody is going to "discover" your game and make you a millionaire, no matter how good your game is. you need to promote your game yourself. the igf's purpose by its own admission isn't to discover and promote unknown games, it's more of a popularity contest; if your game isn't that popular going in it won't become more popular magically by entering it
Nonsense. You can disagree with the tastes of the judges but this is silly.

Opinions are subjective, who knew! There's no such thing as 'best' game, even in the eyes of this mythical "general public" consensus paul mentions (whatever that is).

I like the IGF openly embracing the partiality of the whole thing, that's fiiiine. So long as the juries are as diverse as possible and kept as fresh as possible.

I really appreciate the naming of the panels in recent years (I think it's a recent thing?), although I can't seem to find the jurors for the main prize. I mean, we don't want to encourage the cult of personality in such a small pond much further, but this kind of openness to the fact that the winners are the result of a specific group of people sitting down to discuss is a good thing (and much much better than them being averaged ratings as before, dear lord).

That each prize is awarded by a different, wholly separate group with their own peculiarities, and who know what they're talking about in whatever category. I'm thinking of Cannes for comparisons. Actually I wonder if it would be possible to move away from this 'genre' defined categorization and have more prizes suitable to stature and nature of the creator, ala Cannes (we're already developing the week long press hullabaloo of previews and features, which I honestly think is a good thing! If maybe perhaps more suited to its own event separate from GDC like Indiecade). That's an interesting thought, I wonder if IGF will ever spin off itself anytime.

that's partly because memories are short in general, no matter how big of a hit a game is people aren't going to remember it forever. for example gish was very big and an igf winner, but if you ask the average indie today what gish is they'd be like 'huh?'
This is more the fact that Gish came out before "Indie" as it exists now existed. Not many people cared back then. I remember reading the game being reviewed in PC Gamer and the idea of it was really impressive.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:41:43 PM by paulmcgg » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »

i think saying it's a popularity contest is perfectly valid considering how the judging works: judges must give votes for games that they are assigned, but can also give additional votes for games that they were not assigned if they want to; this leads to games that judges have heard of, i.e. games that are popular, to have more votes than games that nobody has heard of

(and of course progress to a finalist depends partly on average vote value, not on number of votes, but if you go out of your way to vote for a game that you were not assigned, chances are you are going to give it a good vote, not a bad vote)

it's not always the case that the absolutely most popular game always wins, since there are other factors that judges judge by, including whether they think a game 'deserves' the money or whatever. but i think it's ridiculous to deny that a game being popular going in improves its changes in the igf. everyone knew minecraft would win the igf the year that it entered it, for example, no matter how good the other games that year were, and it did win

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: July 06, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »

i think saying it's a popularity contest is perfectly valid considering how the judging works: judges must give votes for games that they are assigned, but can also give additional votes for games that they were not assigned if they want to; this leads to games that judges have heard of, i.e. games that are popular, to have more votes than games that nobody has heard of
Ok, I getcha. That's definitely a factor then (although more votes =/= higher votes, if that's how it works). But I think good word of mouth during judging (from other judges who are prominent bloggers/twitters or erm 'tastemakers') causes subsequent judges to check other stuff out too, more so than simply 'I knew about Game X before the competition'.

::Ed - But this is only the first section for defining the nominees though, yes? See, that's even less of a deal for me. Of course being an IGF nominee means a lot now, especially after the Steam deal, but I think you have to take it with a pinch of salt that these are the best ~10 in any category. It's just the simplest method for getting roughly the top few which then a proper jury can think about and deliberate in depth.

Anyway, I don't really want to get into the nitty gritty much further, IGF is cool and all but it's a single date in the calendar.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:36:31 PM by paulmcgg » Logged
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: July 06, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »

everyone knew minecraft would win the igf the year that it entered it, for example, no matter how good the other games that year were, and it did win
hmmmm... I dunno.

Explanations are always readily available in hindsight, but at the time I wasn't sure. Precisely because it was so popular I felt strongly it might not win. I think once you start suggesting winners are affected by other criteria (in a significant way), it's a bit of a slippery slope. You can see shadows and reasons everywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic