Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:46:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)PlayStation Development Suite
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Development Suite  (Read 17234 times)
Important
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:26:21 AM »

Hola,
I thought this might be of interest: http://www.playstation.com/pss/

It's an API for developing for Vita and PlayStation Android devices in C# using mono. Comes with an IDE and Pc Emulator and good documentation.

You've got vertex buffer access and can go all "low level" or there's a higher level 2d engine split into basics bits and an interface like coco2ds.

In the future it's going to let you publish and sell your games on it. So it's worth checking out!
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:48:46 AM »

I m interested in it and will try it as soon as I stop to work so much.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:51:13 AM »

*Turns his head towards the sky*

God, please. Make them release a C++ API if they only have one.

*Walks away*

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »

AFAIK it's just a "closed walls" android appstore.
IMHO it's better to just do stock android games (especially when the VITA isn't a big success)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »

I'll give this a look-see. I understand the open beta just started. No reason not to dapple a bit.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:38 AM »

*Turns his head towards the sky*

God, please. Make them release a C++ API if they only have one.

*Walks away*

I would love to, but i dont believe they will.

That said, if they do, they have really big balls.

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:22:02 AM »

Wanted to play with it, unfortunately PssStudio crashes while loading on my pc. Still beta i guess.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »

On Android you most likley want to take LibGDX an go all Java imho. Anyway it's nice but I don't want to code in C# :/

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »

It looks cool, but it's weird how the chose C# to program for it. Did they use a dartboard or something to chose the language?

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »

If anyone is wondering what's inside the PlayStation Development Suite, I just put together this guide.

It's MonoDevelop based for the Studio, but the included demos are simply amazing.  There is also a graphic of the class library, for people interested at a peek up the skir... er, at the class layout.

All told, Sony did a pretty good job.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »

Wow, this sounds great.
A company putting legitimate, genuine effort into supporting their developers makes me want to develop for them so much more.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

Remind me to attempt to acquire a PS Vita for Christmas.
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

It looks cool, but it's weird how the chose C# to program for it. Did they use a dartboard or something to chose the language?
Why is it weird?
It's very similar to Java, but has more "modern" features.

The only major downside to C# is the whole Microsoft licensing/patent thing, but i'm not sure to what degree it applies to Mono.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
brettchalupa
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »

I've been messing around with this since it went open beta, and I am really enjoying it. I think what interests me the most is how it would be cool to get a quality game on the Vita when it's possible to publish the games while the marketplace is untouched. I think there's potential for some awesome games due to all of the different features the Vita has. Smiley
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »

Why is it weird?
It's very similar to Java, but has more "modern" features.

The only major downside to C# is the whole Microsoft licensing/patent thing, but i'm not sure to what degree it applies to Mono.

There are more downsides, like the fact that C# is what Java was 10 years ago. Which basically means compared to Java it's slower. Also C# has no "how-to" for code. Nearly every C# programm looks different. The only Code Convention is "type functions with a upper-case letter" (god knows why I should do that).

I did some stuff in C# and can tell that it's not a language you want to use for developing on an embedded system imho. It's like XNA for XBOX...

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »

There are more downsides, like the fact that C# is what Java was 10 years ago. Which basically means compared to Java it's slower. Also C# has no "how-to" for code. Nearly every C# programm looks different. The only Code Convention is "type functions with a upper-case letter" (god knows why I should do that).

I did some stuff in C# and can tell that it's not a language you want to use for developing on an embedded system imho. It's like XNA for XBOX...

You're claiming C# is slower than Java on the Vita and Sony's Android devices? How would you even know that?

And code looking different really isn't something you should be bothered about.

Given that part of the point is being able to run on a variety of devices, so native binaries are out, C# seems like a good choice.
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:25 AM »

You're claiming C# is slower than Java on the Vita and Sony's Android devices? How would you even know that?

Because I'm programming games for Android...? And with slower I mean slower and executing GC and stuff. While testing Strings I got a lot of heap from C# while Java was cleaning like a boss.

For me a consistent code sytle is important. I don't talks about tabs or spaces or color. What thought about using interfaces, pointers and stuff like that. You don't want to see the code of a game for college :D

With Java you can still target more plattforms. with libgdx you have: Win, Linux, Mac, Android, Web and with Web you could also so some Ios. We a currently testing stuff, runs fine... sound is a problem there.

Important
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »

C# isn't an unusual language to program games in - what with XNA, Unity (which runs on all major platforms) and Second Life using it too. C# is also the main language for developing tools in the industry so it's not really a big shock to see it leak over to actual game development.

It's pretty much equivalent to Java in speed as much as it matters. Doesn't Java still have generic collections where it has to unbox each object even though you've explicitly told it the type?

Also with Oracle (owners of Java) currently suing Google because of Davik (Java virtual machine) I could see a strong case for staying away from Java until the Oracle stops being mental (probably not anytime soon). Also maybe we'd have to develop in Eclipse  WTF - I think I'd rather be stabbed Smiley

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »

AFAIK it's just a "closed walls" android appstore.
IMHO it's better to just do stock android games (especially when the VITA isn't a big success)

For indie games getting lost in a sea of content much like the Android/iphone seems like it'd be much more scary than a system with 100,000 users with no games to play.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »

Yeah, it seems like by that logic, people wouldn't want to be on Steam, because it's just a "closed walls" internet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic