Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:46:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)PlayStation Development Suite
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Development Suite  (Read 17426 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

Oh, my bad. I forgot to say this was a mockup.
The shader might not make it in.

We have other screens to show, but this is one I had on hand in the dropbox.  Shrug

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »

'bit of a necro, but I wrote a book on programming for PlayStation Mobile.

It was a rather enjoyable experience, I think I'll write more. Smiley
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »

wow that's really cool. Congrats on publishing.  Beer!

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »

Thanks man!  Knocked one item off the bucket list.

My bucket list is a bit interesting though, as things get added to it right before they are removed...  that way, it's always empty!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »

Thanks man!  Knocked one item off the bucket list.

My bucket list is a bit interesting though, as things get added to it right before they are removed...  that way, it's always empty!

Man I gotta adopt that strategy :D

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »

Just finished writing a new tutorial on improving rendering performance.

http://levelism.com/tutorial-3-improving-psm-rendering-performance/

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 04:37:56 AM »

I am considering to port my current game to the ps-vita rather than smartphones since it is a perfect fit. I am not sure one can compare it to xblig. It rather seems sony is more selective. I am just asking myself what if I am providing a good game but they are not satisfied with my snes-level of graphics. In case you know some indie games with ok pixel-art made and accepted by this new service I would be glad to know.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »

It will be no problem. If you register with PSM you can publish with next to no approval process besides filling technical requirements. For instance you can't take more than a certain amount of time to load a game. I believe it was something like 15 seconds with a few loading screens that alternate.

Since you are making your game on XNA you might look into Monogame because they have a compile target for PSM.

There is also rumor that PSM will be adding PS4 support in the future so that's an option as well.

The cost to publish for a year is 100$.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 06:08:11 AM »

Is there a spec on how much ram I am allowed to use at the same time. I am loading the whole game at the beginning into ram and gpu-ram. For smaller games this approach seems more elegant to me than constantly loading/unloading stuff.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 06:09:02 AM »

92MB is the max allowance currently.

Also texture compression is not supported although the development team says they are working on it

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »

Hmm, given how resource hungry xna is that's not much. Is it the restriction for vram or system-ram?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:39 AM »

I will have to check but I think it's a unified restriction. So essentially all your textures, sounds, code etc in system ram will have to take 92MB.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »

Man, that's a fat restriction given that there is 512 mb of ram. What is the limit for the whole game-file size?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:47 AM »

The reason is that PSM has to target all PSM devices. The worst device is an old xperia phone which has 92mb ram. I'm really hoping they change this in the future because I'm really only interested in the Vita and any devices with a tactile Dpad.

Filesize of the game I can't remember but I remember looking at it and thinking it wouldnt be an issue at all. I don't think it will be an issue for trapthem.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:23 AM »

Yup! What he said about the Xperia Play is indeed true!

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »

Is Monogame already ready for psm. Any examples?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:09:56 PM by J-Snake » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

Does my game have to offer additional controls in order to be compatible with touch-only devices. Or can I focus on Vita right away, also taking its resolution and screen refresh rate (60hz?) into account?

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »

No, your game needs to be playable on all devices, but you can develop targeting the PS Vita and get most of the rest for free.  There is a built in on screen controller that will be made available by default.

As to the memory restrictions, I believe it's actually 96mb off the top of my head.  As to how that is split up, you decide via your applications configuration file ( one will be created for you automatically ).  You can split the (admittedly limited) RAM up however you want.  So if you code only needs about 10mb of RAM to run, that can leave you 86MB for assets ( images, sounds, etc. ).

Coincidentally that memory limitation isn't due to the Xperia Play, it actually had 512MB of ram ( http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_play-3608.php ).  It's more a limitation of RAM available after hosting the mono runtime, although frankly, I think they could ( and should ) easily bump it.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »

No, your game needs to be playable on all devices, but you can develop targeting the PS Vita and get most of the rest for free.  There is a built in on screen controller that will be made available by default.
God this is awful. My game would suck on smaller phone-screens, and then there is the less responsive touch-input blocking some of the sight in addition. The player needs the whole overview at once (and better hardware-buttons) and Vita is optimal for that. Sony is killing potential games on it with this business practice. It should strictly separate.

I am requiring snes-like input: 6 buttons and a digital-pad. Does it mean I don't have to put effort in understanding all those touch-gestures, I can simply assign hardware-buttons to already existing touch-templates and it works. Because otherwise I can invest the same effort in android/ios which have a far larger user-base. What I hope to achieve with Vita is that there are not many games on there, so my game will be better noticed. It is also the appropriate device for the game.

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »

I think you misunderstand.

You have to put no effort in.  You just use the joystick API.

If the actual device doesn't physically support what you want, it is emulated on screen.  If the user experience sucks on an old Xperia phone, so be it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic