Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:51:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)PlayStation Development Suite
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Development Suite  (Read 17449 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »

I think you misunderstand.

You have to put no effort in.  You just use the joystick API.

If the actual device doesn't physically support what you want, it is emulated on screen.  If the user experience sucks on an old Xperia phone, so be it.
Correct! If no buttons, the phone will draw virtual things on screen. you can hide it with a single tap.
You can make whatever you want and button-less users will have a similar experience.

Also, a Moga or whatever will just work with it too.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »

also sony now supports using the dualshock3 with their devices (even the phone lol)

Wow I didnt realize the Xperia has 512MB. How can the mono runtime possibly take up that much space. I guess the OS needs ram too but it seems like they could give more. Maybe they are just playing it safe.

Also texture compression would help as well, or at least faster resource loading.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »

Yea, the Dualshock support for testing in the IDE is magical.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »

Is the emulator good?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »

The simulator could be better, but should be sufficient for gameplay testing.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2013, 03:52:56 AM »

My notebook has 4Gb ram and a nvidia gt540m, 2GB, ok for 2010/2011 standards. Does the simulator have high spec demands?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:20 AM »

simluator has deceptively low spec demands. My advice is that if you are serious you need to buy at least one PSM compatible arm device to realistically work on PSM. 

Simulator performance is by no means indicative of real world performance. It's similar to Android in that way.

Bottom line. Buy a Vita.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2013, 04:12:32 AM »

Simulator performance is by no means indicative of real world performance. It's similar to Android in that way.
Do you mean that the simulator works slower than the actual machine? I tried it once and it seemed to run pretty fast.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2013, 04:27:57 AM »

actually it's the opposite. Vita for instance can be way slower than the simulator

This is one of the reasons I wrote the performance article. My code runs amazing in the simulator, on real world devices it was crap before the optimizations.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »

Ah ok, I might to get a VITA once, seems like a cool machine, more adapted to 2D games than 3D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »

Bottom line. Buy a Vita.
Just to go sure, it is just a regular Vita I see in the store. There are no special requirements for the deving?

Another question: When I am intending to use mixed-input: touch and 1 or 2 buttons of hardware input buttons in combination. Does it mean the touch-only devices will display only those 2 simulated buttons, have I control over their displaying and the positioning?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:48:23 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2013, 07:43:01 AM »

Yup!
Just get you a normal ass vita!

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »

Bottom line. Buy a Vita.
Just to go sure, it is just a regular Vita I see in the store. There are no special requirements for the deving?

Another question: When I am intending to use mixed-input: touch and 1 or 2 buttons of hardware input buttons in combination. Does it mean the touch-only devices will display only those 2 simulated buttons, have I control over their displaying and the positioning?

The platform ships with a tool for defining on screen controls.  You can lay them out mostly where you want ( there are some limits ), as well as choose which buttons or gamepads you want displayed.  The system is pretty flexible over all.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »

Ok, I consider giving it a try. Out of interest, is someone of you here already on the store and receiving revenue. At least do you know some people who do? Doesn't have to be much. 200 Euro/Dollar a month or so is ok.

Does someone of you know about the screen-refresh-rate specs. Do all playstation certified devices have at least 50+ hz. Or do some have 30? It is important to know for my gameloop.

I don't have a smartphone. I am rather considering to buy a xperia play (the one with snes-like hardware input) so that I have both things at once, a phone and a test device. I assume I can test my stuff on that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:40:56 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »

We'll have a game up probably next week. I'll expose some numbers. :D

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »

Ok, I stay tuned.

Any information you know about screen refresh on ps certified devices (a standard would be good)?

Btw. I love the design of xperia play, that snes-like pad next to the touch-screen.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »

'bit of a necro, but I wrote a book on programming for PlayStation Mobile.

It was a rather enjoyable experience, I think I'll write more. Smiley
I bought it now in order to safe my time collecting all the puzzle pieces. Hope you did a good job on that but it will surely help Wink

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »

I downloaded the new psm-sdk. There is something wrong in the setup. It doesn't even compile a template project. It says something like "The access to a socket is not permitted 127.0.0.1:52114"

Anyone with the same problem?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »

Never had that problem. Is your computer blocking that port?

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »

I downloaded the new psm-sdk. There is something wrong in the setup. It doesn't even compile a template project. It says something like "The access to a socket is not permitted 127.0.0.1:52114"

Anyone with the same problem?
I've never seen that.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic