Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:35:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)PlayStation Development Suite
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Development Suite  (Read 17436 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

So what about the vita. Is anyone into it yet?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

yeah I'm working on a game right now and a 2D engine (I was not happy with sony's gameengine2d). Plan to release it when it's more stable. Rendering portion is done, SAT collision is in. Still have to add stuff like graphical strings and a sound wrapper.

edit: also this thread

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25771.0

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

What don't you like in sony's gameengine2d.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

Just didn't really like the interface. In their examples they manually separated everything into groups and rendered them separately. That's code I would prefer not to have to intermix with the gameplay code.

Changing the z-order of a sprite after it was added was non-trivial. Also it had a lot of cocos-2d style stuff which I'm not a fan of.

Mine is more like the style of you extend a State object then do what you want with init/update/render. When you add sprites they are rendered in the order you add them unless you change their z-value (on a per-sprite or per-group level). Internally the renderer sorts everything by texture to keep draw calls to a minimum.

At this point in the engine I'm able to get a game up and running a lot faster.

I suppose you could say the one I'm developing might appeal to those who like XNA/Flixel more while the sony one would appeal to people who like cocos-2d.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »

I find it interesting and I like even more the fact that it doesn't seem to overrun by flash bottom feeders yet . I don't know what's the vetting process anyway and it could become a problem.
But I don't like the fact that it's basically just an android appstore and that you're subjecting your game to touch screen controls even if you don't want it, yuck

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »

Yeah that's what I hate most about the SDK. You have to target sony androids as well. It puts this virtual controller on the screen to make up for the lack of one.

Also because of the android targeting you can only use 92MB of the 512 the Vita actually has. Also Sony is really dragging their feet on adding texture compression. They do somewhat sympathize though. They've even shown interest in making the SDK work on the PS3.

I'm guessing the mini flash games aren't hitting it because people don't see it making a lot of money compared to other easier points of entry.

I'm doing it mainly because I love the hardware. I always wanted to develop on a game-focused portable with good tactile input. Also I ride the bus/train a lot these days.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 12:59:13 AM »

We're working on two games for PSM currently.
A new title, and a port of an older game that someone made a long time ago that I really enjoy.

The SDK is simple enough, and Sony is really great to work with.
Just ask Sarah Thomson, Nick Suttner or Shane Bettenhausen on twitter if you need help with anything.
They are very open to working with you to make your game happen.

https://twitter.com/SarahLuvsVGames
https://twitter.com/nsuttner
https://twitter.com/shanewatch

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »

Oh thanks, I will keep it mind.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »

Shane works for Sony now?? I was wondering what happened to him.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »

So you are now required to pay for a license to use the developer forums or test your code outside the simulator.

considering how the simulator can run code that the Vita can't I've applied for a license. Unfortunately it's been about 24 hours and I still havent gotten acceptance for my application. I'm taking the next 3 days off for development. Murphys law.

Wolfgang I noticed you are having issues with multiple devices as well. Unless I mixed up your psm developer name.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »

That's me over there!
I think I figured it out.
The keychain thing can work, it's just a matter of downloading the Development Assistant on that second unit.
I'll let you know what I discover when we get the second Vita in. I'll be posting the whole thing.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »

3 days and still no pass on my license. My status is still applying though

alex mcdev did point out that it looks lik sony might be forcing them to release when they arent ready so i do sympathize with the development team. I just wish it didnt prevent me from being able to test on my vita.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »

they replied to me and said it would take 3 to 10 days.

Gunhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 01:34:39 AM »

We had a lot of problems with the PSS for a 3D game we were working on.

Mainly the C# virtual machine is really crap. All CPU maths takes far to long, using their model loaders and code, we were getting really poor performance at about 1500 - 2000 vertices before seeing framerate drops.

We had some support from Sony which really just went along the lines of, "Yeah we know about that!"

That was in June/July. I don't think Its anything todo with C# but really just the VM implementation.

On the plus side, thought it was a good SDK. And for 2D I suspect it would have been ok.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »

did you have branching in your shaders? That dropper performance significantly for me.

I havent had any issues with the VM itself so far.

Gunhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »

No branching, if there was it was of the [1,0] variety. I think we managed to increase the vertex count by optimizing the models, but it wasn't by an significance.

The problems were on the vita itself. the simulator was fine as it makes no attempt to simulate :D

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »

yeah I had the same problems at first. In my case it was the branching shader. I got about 10-20x the performance but on that same note I wasn't drawing very much at all.

I haven't really tried to throw a ton of polygons at it yet so it's possible I haven't seen that performance hit yet. I'll certainly keep an eye out for it.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

it's converting c# code to android so yeah, don't expect it to run like if it was a professional vita devkit

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »

that's only on android though. IIRC Vita just runs its own version of the Mono VM with hooks to its OS calls and OpenGL

That would be why you have to use the pre-processor to make different code for the Vita and Android versions sometimes.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »

that's only on android though. IIRC Vita just runs its own version of the Mono VM with hooks to its OS calls and OpenGL
didn't know that...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic