Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026919 Posts in 41180 Topics- by 32787 Members - Latest Member: ixhi

July 26, 2014, 05:09:35 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsBEACON - Sci-Fi Action Roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BEACON - Sci-Fi Action Roguelike  (Read 557 times)
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:44 AM »

Hey folks!

I'd like to introduce Beacon to you all!

Genre: Top-down Action/Exploration roguelike with strong Sci-Fi overtones.

Developed By: Monothetic LLC

Project Members:
  • Arran Seaton (Me!): Game/Level Design & Music/Sound Production
  • Taychin Dunnvatanachit: Art Director/Graphic Design
  • Kiefen Zipf: Game/Level Design
  • Michael Corsaro: Gameplay Programmer
  • Joe Russell: Writer/Hype man

What's it all about?

Mutate your way to victory through repeated cloning.

Played from a top-down perspective, similar to The Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, Beacon will have the you working your way through a series of randomly generated levels - from the forested planet surface down to a strange underground facility - eventually collecting enough materials to fix a distress beacon and get off the hostile planet that youíve found yourself marooned on. As per usual, youíll find new weapons and items to help you on your way, giving you new abilities and a better fighting chance against the enemies each level produces. Alongside these, you can also choose to harvest DNA fragments from the enemies you kill - and this is where we deviate a little from the more standard Roguelike structure.

As in all Roguelikes, when you die in Beacon, youíll be sent back to the beginning of the game, losing any weaponry and items you might have picked up along the way. However, rather than losing it, the DNA you harvested in that life is sent back to your personal clone bay (one of the few pieces of your ship still functioning), and spliced together with your own for your next life. This adds a level of permanence to Beacon, as each subsequent life will stack more harvested DNA on top of what you had before, resulting in stat augmentations and (in extreme cases) full-fledged physical mutations. Different enemies will drop different types of DNA fragments, allowing players to experiment and begin to harvest DNA that specifically meshes well with their preferred play style - whether thatís being a slow, lumbering damage sponge or a fast, agile sharpshooter. Be warned, however; not every mutation will be a positive thing.

Screenshots:

Platforms: Anything Unity can allow us! But PC/Linux/Mac for now.

We do have our own devblog on our Tumblr, which you can check out here:
http://devblog.monothetic.com/

It should get you up to scratch with everything about the project so far. Any subsequent blog posts, I will update in here, with a few extras pieces of content just for you guys Smiley

I'll be updating this devlog as I go though with additional media (we have an interview lined up & an r/gamedev showcase), and hope to join in on all the screenshotsaturday madness, so stay tuned!

NOTE: We are in need of a talented 2D character animator, familiar with Unity, to help us out. If anyone here is interested, drop me a message!

Hope you enjoy following our progress!
Thanks

Arran
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:21:32 AM by TheHollowNight » Logged

Christian
Level 6

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »

Hey, great to see Beacon on TIGForum. Will definitely be following

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »

Hey, great to see Beacon on TIGForum. Will definitely be following

Hey hey! thanks for the support! Smiley We should have something new to show for #IndieDevHour!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »

Didn't have much time to grab a decent shot for #IndieDevHour but I showed off a little more of the cave entrance

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »

Saw you post on Gaf, looking real purdy so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end :D!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

Saw you post on Gaf, looking real purdy so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end :D!

Hello fellow GAFfer! Thank you sir! Be sure to check back in this thread occasionally! I'll do my best to keep it fresh with new content Smiley Monstrum is looking great by the way!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:43:31 AM »

So Tay, our Art Director responsible for the visual aesthetic of Beacon, has revealed one of the first enemy designs!

Check it out:

We'll be detailing in depth the creation process of some of the enemy designs in the coming weeks!

oleomingus
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:11:29 AM »

Wow ! The screenshots look really great, especially the one with the waterfall. And the mutating mechanics sounds interesting. Looking forward to more updates.

The art reminds me a little bit of another game on TIG, Otherworld : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39627.

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:16:35 AM »

Wow ! The screenshots look really great, especially the one with the waterfall. And the mutating mechanics sounds interesting. Looking forward to more updates.

The art reminds me a little bit of another game on TIG, Otherworld : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39627.

Thanks for the kind words Smiley

And wow, I've genuinely never heard of this game before now, looks really great! I can definitely see what you mean! Especially the concepts!

Oxeren
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:43:52 AM »

Concept sounds interesting, and art is cool.
So if this DNA changes are permanent, will they only upgrade your character, or will some "wrong" DNA be able to mess your stats up?
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »

Concept sounds interesting, and art is cool.
So if this DNA changes are permanent, will they only upgrade your character, or will some "wrong" DNA be able to mess your stats up?

Mostly correct yeah. As you begin to stack harvested DNA it will apply stat boosts to your character. After a certain point if you've harvested enough of one DNA type you will hit a milestone of sorts, which permanently changes the appearance/ability of the character by causing a mutation to occur. More rarely than not, a negative mutation can develop, essentially a de-buff.

There is no 'bad' DNA in the game as such, it's mainly more about how you decide on gathering certain amounts & gambling the risk of causing a mutation. It's totally up to the player to mix and match to even out attributes or experiment with the more unusual strands. You build towards your preferred play-style.

Building upon your base character is essential, as the progression of the game introduces tougher enemies and obstacles further along, that will prove highly challenging if you play conservatively.  

You can always reset your clone back to a clean copy though, should you want to try something new. For purists, the 'ultimate' run would be to beat the game with no DNA harvesting whatsoever Tongue

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:09:20 AM by TheHollowNight » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic