Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411277 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:50:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNAVE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: NAVE  (Read 43932 times)
hernansaez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »

Here's NAVE Arcade Making Of EP. 11! English subtitles available (check CC button)

hernansaez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »

Here's a video of a guy playing NAVE Arcade at GameOn! 2012, Buenos Aires. Hope you enjoy it!

hernansaez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2012, 06:16:51 AM »

A videoflyer we've made for NAVE Arcade Tour's next stop. Watch it in HD!

http://youtu.be/YT4U_R3T5Cw
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:55:35 PM by hernansaez » Logged
mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »

After a short break from the game we're getting back to development.
Our first priority right now is to find the f***ing bug that causes the external lights to crash, and that unplugging the usb board or resetting windows is the only solution.
It's something not easy to debug, because of the elements involved: FLASH GAME > C++ WINDOWS APP > C PIC PROGRAM > BOARD.
If I can't find what causes the crash soon, I'm also considering the not so ideal solution of resetting the device by software. That will allow us to fix the problem faster, without having to unplug or restart windows (we already have a GAME RESET button in the back of the cabinet).

We are showing the game at some "end of the world" party this friday, so I'll do my best to fix the problem by then.

After that main priority, we have some software and hardware things to polish, to make the game more resistant for travelling and less dependent on us (to leave it on some place for some days without having to be there ). Later we want to add content, specially enemies (we have the designs), and work on balancing the game.

mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2013, 06:02:21 AM »

I found a solution for the lights problem right before the party. It was not the ideal one: resetting the usb whenever I noticed that it wasn't responding (instead of finding why they hang). But it worked. 
The party was really fun and the game was really busy all night.

We took lots of nice pictures of people playing:

Here's the album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.568620713151885.143151.182561235091170&type=3

s.barbarie
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »

I was wondering if you've had inspiration from this?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15347.0
mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »

I was wondering if you've had inspiration from this?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15347.0

No. We didn't know that game, we started working on the first versions of NAVE in early 2010, but it looks nice! Is there a playable version?

mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »

Here's the videoflyer for our second tour date, made with some video footage of our previous party  Smiley

PLAY

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »

That Cotton Eye Joe song makes me proud of being a Swede!
Looks like a damn fine party too! Beer!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
hernansaez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

Hi everyone! It's been a while since our last post so I want to share with you some new material.

To begin, here's an album with pictures of the arcade cabinet making:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.392493367516731.1073741829.331892093576859&type=3

There you can see the whole team working and detailed pictures of the hardware we used and pieces we've built.

I also want to show you a short video we've shot along with some friends to promote the game and its tour (see I'm also a filmmaker so we could do this with very few resources):

And, last, I want to invite you to a fb page we created specially for the game and the players. There you can see all new material about the game and check tour dates:

https://www.facebook.com/NAVEArcade

Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:21:31 AM by hernansaez » Logged
mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »

We are starting to plan how to take the arcade on tour out of our country.
We are gathering information about events or people that might be interested in having the game, so we can plan a trip where we get most out of it (to reduce costs).

So, if you know some place, event or people that might be interested let us know!
And, if you like the spot (

) please help us spreading it, so more people know about the project and we have more chances of making the tour a reality.

Thanks!!!

mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »

I wanted to upload some pics of the making of the spot.
It was really fun to do! Luckily besides being a game designer Hernan is also a director, and one of the owners of Farsa Producciones (makers of the zombie trilogy Plaga Zombie and lots of other low budget movies, shorts and music videos)

the water on the floor was a mix between having a nice fx and hiding the floor imperfections

here you can see Hernan making some closeups, and suffering from the heat of the place and the lights (i'm the one with glasses on the left)

once the fog machine run out of the liquid we had to improvise some smoke with a cigarrette

someone taking advantage of a pause to play the game

we are really lucky of having some good friends who love the project and who helped us in making this spot.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »

Never give up
NEVER SURRENDER! Hand Any Key Apoplectic Hand Joystick
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2013, 05:42:08 AM »

The trailer/spot/video/whatever is just awesome!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2013, 06:24:03 AM »

While I can appreciate the effort you've put into presenting this with an arcade cab and everything, the game itself looks pretty shallow.  You get an unwiedly large ship that just gets knocked back down to smaller size a few seconds later ..
mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »

The trailer/spot/video/whatever is just awesome!

Thanks! We'd love to take the arcade to Brazil! Hope we can some day!

While I can appreciate the effort you've put into presenting this with an arcade cab and everything, the game itself looks pretty shallow.  You get an unwiedly large ship that just gets knocked back down to smaller size a few seconds later ..

Yes, it's certainly not a deep game. It's simple. That's what we've got in mind from the beginning of the project. But we think that, despite not having a lot of elements, the game has its complexity. But most important for us, people seems to enjoy playing it.
That fight to keep your ship as big as you can it's part of the game. And there's also a trick: there are two ship states that have kind of an energy bar themselves: the powerup gives you the new size, with all the energy bars. If you get hit, you star to loose those bars first, and then you reduce to the previous size. On those states you can maintain the size of the ship longer.
Here's one of those states:

Hope you can play the game sometime to see what it feels! Wink

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »

Unless you post it online, probably not.

My other big issue with the game is the art, more specifically the pixel size and resolution are different and don't conform to a pixel grid like a real low-resolution game would.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:41:34 AM by Udderdude » Logged
mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »

My other big issue with the game is the art, more specifically the pixel size and resolution are different and don't conform to a pixel grid like a real low-resolution game would.

That was a decision we made consciously. We made some test and liked the smoother rotation that dual resolution gave us. We used that style in our previous game Bicicletas - Hoy also.

However, the arcade version runs at lower resolution because of the old monitor (240x320), so the scale is 1 on 1. We like it, but we miss the smoother style.

mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

Hardware repairing time
After taking the game to various places there where some things that needed minor fixes.

A couple of cosmetic issues in the cabinet:

And a problem with the soldering of the lights (Some of the lights needed a small knock to function  Smiley )

We took the opportunity to tidy the mess of the cables behind the joystick and button (there were some things left over from the original cabinet that had 2 sticks and 12 buttons)

There's still some things to do with the hardware to make it more solid, because things might get loose with all the movement of the game.

hernansaez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »

After a long time, here's NAVE Arcade Making Of EP. 12! English subtitles available (check CC button)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic