Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:51:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149375 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »

Every journey begins with a single step.

Official Website

Pioneers is a turn-based exploration/adventure RPG where you lead a party of travellers in search of treasure-rich temples, new tribes and ways to go down in history - ways to go beyond the horizon. To achieve all that you complete quests building up your reputation to become a sought out explorer by kings and commoners alike.

You set out promising your father to become someone, to make him proud but not all goes like planned in life, does it? On the way you'll meet many interesting characters, solve challenging puzzles and face all that nature has to offer, be it finding and collecting food and building a shelter to survive harsh winters or facing against a pack of wolves in the densest of forests.

The game is currently very much in progress but check below for playable builds. The game uses only 4 colors. Different seasons have different palettes with different set of colors. As to why, read here.

M e d i a

(Click for full sized images)

An old trailer:

To see the previous videos, visit my YouTube channel (If you like what you see, subscribe)

D o w n l o a d

Latest build (Build 7, February 13 2015)

Download from itch.io

Previous versions:

For older builds see the game's website.

M i s c

Occasionally my computer screen with literally some developments taking place on it appears on Twitch livestream (if you follow my channel you get an email notification when it comes online)

Some mentions of the game I've come across on the web:

Rock, paper, shotgun
Destructoid
Plus 10 Damage + Interview
PCGamer magazine news item. Woot!
Considerably lengthy summary & review (in German)
A indie game blog mention (in Russian, generated a lot of downloads)
First mention in an indie games blog
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:12:54 AM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:37:22 AM »

Do want! Also, are you planning on having scaling?
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 05:45:37 AM »

Nice to see this is becoming a game, can't wait to see what you do with it!

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »

Oh wow, so far this is looking REALLY good!

shpoonj
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

I'll take two.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:35:39 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

Do want! Also, are you planning on having scaling?
Everything is drawn at 2x for pixely sweetness, so is the map. I could draw it at 1x but then the single pixel resolution of the tiles clashes with 2px for everything else. So I'd rather not scale things. Also, the screenshots are 640x480, but you can have any size you want. The native resolution of my screen is 1280x800, so automatically I see a lot more at once. The thing not implemented yet is that the map is not initially visible, only the parts you've been to.

Theophilus
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »

oh hell yeah

Ashkin
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »

Looking super-excellent, guy.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »

Nice to see you've started a devlog for this.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

Getting a very retro vibe from the 4 colour palette. Smiley
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »

You had me at angry beavers.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »

oh hell yeah
  Cheesy LOL

Very excited you started making a game out of this!
thatredant
Level 0

if(post.create){ thatredant.reply; }

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »

awesome gfx, please finish this.

Working on a resource-gathering realtime roguelike!

namragog
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »

Very nice!
Can't wait to see what you do!
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »

Looks nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how it will play.  The whole 'pick a team of settlers, then go and start a colony' thing gives me a nice dwarf-fortressy vibe, although I'm guessing from the fact that it's turn based you'll have more control over the individual settlers?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Yrgkala
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:56 AM »

Jõudu tööle. The grass, bridge & trees are excellent, but I think the cliffs should be completely black and the tipis should be cleaner:

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 01:57:59 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

You had me at angry beavers.

Most badass animal there is. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Very excited you started making a game out of this!

I'm very excited too, I can barely keep my pants on Well, hello there!

Jõudu tööle. The grass, bridge & trees are excellent, but I think the cliffs should be completely black and the tipis should be cleaner:

Aitäh. The antialias effect is pretty neat, I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not sure about the outline. Unless I add outlines to everything else as well, it doesn't quite work.

Looks nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how it will play.  The whole 'pick a team of settlers, then go and start a colony' thing gives me a nice dwarf-fortressy vibe, although I'm guessing from the fact that it's turn based you'll have more control over the individual settlers?

Yeah but it's not that much about settling down or building a colony than exploration and survival. I'm not sure how the turn-based thing plays out because a lot of times it's just you and your characters on screen and nobody else to give the 'turn' to. But having turns (which is basically one day) gives meaning to the characters stats, as in how many moves you can make in a turn, etc.

I've been thinking about other game-mechanics as well. I think I should give the explorers-natives interaction more emphasis. First of all, the native people speak a language your characters don't understand. It'd be all symbolic and your challenge is to figure out, if the symbol means "go away, stranger" or "you are welcome here" by obeserving the context. Then you could exchange stuff and even get some tribespeople to follow your party. But if you don't feel like decrypting symbols, you could take an polyglot/scholar but otherwise utterly useless type of character along to the journey. Your choice.

Regarding exploration, I'm not sure how to keep things interesting. Basically there is only terrain, trees and water. Should there be temples with treasures or burial grounds where you could loot stuff from and traps around them or what? Or occasional underground caves you could go and explore but what's there to look for? It's not a group of robbers or treasure seekers but explorers but then again, who'd leave a treasure behind … Smiley

I do have an idea to justify treasure seeking and looting. What if you'd need the treasure to fund your next exploration. You'd start out with a little wealth and that hires you a small (and not very skilled) crew with not much equipment to take along. If you return, the King or whoever donates some gold in addition to the treasures you found, so that you could hire a better crew and better equipment to go explore larger maps for longer time. So the game would basically contain levels, which you'd need to progress trough. That would work I think.

Devlog 2

* Sorted map objects
* A ship with explorers in them. You do everything in the game being one of the characters. To move the ship, you select the captain and order it to sail to where-ever. The arrow shows the location of the selected character.
* Massively better GUI event handling
* (Un)explored map drawing

Next up: Pathfinding to move the ship (done) and disembarking when near some land.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:43:08 PM by Eigen » Logged

namragog
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »

You should have not Native Americans, but an UNKNOWN CULTURE
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »

You should have not Native Americans, but an UNKNOWN CULTURE
Actually it's not about any specific nation, the tipis are just somewhat iconic and recognizable so I thought I'd use these. That's probably why you thought it was Native Americans. But UNKNOWN CULTURE ... I like the sound of that! Grin

Here's quick and short video of the ship moving around using A*. The diagonal sprites are missing so it looks weird in some directions. In fact, the whole ship is very much WIP at this point (and drawing it from any other angle than the side is a pain)

namragog
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »

Wow. That video blew my mind.  Shocked

I love everything so far. I hope there shall be an UNKNOWN CULTURE.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic