Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:15:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149365 times)
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »

The gameplay reminds me of the computer game Age of Empires, haha. Anyways, this looks pretty neat.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »

Looking nice and takes me back to playing Pirates on my old Amiga which is always a good thing Smiley

keo
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »

impressive dood!
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »

i get a nice vibe from this. simple and clean, yet warm and inviting.  keep it up, i really want to play this!

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »

Thank you!

i get a nice vibe from this. simple and clean, yet warm and inviting.  keep it up, i really want to play this!

It's funny how you get a 'warm' feeling from these colors. For me, the green feels a bit cold and distant. I'm not sure why, because green is supposed to be a warm color.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »

Regarding the question of encouraging exploration-

Suppose you had different kinds of rare resources (metals, spices, sugar, furs, etc.) that could be discovered as you're exploring.  You could then build an outpost to claim the resources.  Outposts consume basic resources (forests, plains become farms), attract settlers and grow into towns.  The cycle would continue till towns grow into cities(if their are enough basic resources in the area).  Town growth would basically be autonomous with minimal interaction from the player.

The player would be able to buy (tiered?) upgrades based on the size and rare resources of an outpost (horses for increased movement?, furs, sugar, guns can be traded with locals?) in exchange for (treasure? furs? undiscovered resources traded with locals?)

I imagine something like playing a game of Sid Meier's Civilization or Colonization from the perspective of one of the units (specifically explorers/scouts). You can observe the game being played around you, but the only influence you have on the nation is exploring, designating rare resources and trading in towns.

All of this is heavily based on Colonization's New World theme.  I imagine it would work relatively well for other scenarios though.  Depending on how much combat you want in the game an alternative scenario could be something like the Conquistadors, with little focus on outposts and growth and more focus on combat and looting er, treasure hunting.

And of course, I'm fantasizing about the game I'd like to play based on what I've seen and read in the thread so far.  I have little idea how much more work would be involved in developing what I just described or if it's even in the same direction you plan on taking the game.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 03:29:51 AM »

Thanks for the brainwaves.

I like the idea of outposts and them growing into towns and cities, I mean it's the kind of game I've always wanted to make. There's something inherently cool about the Civ/Col concept. That said, I think it's out of the scope of this game, at least in the current stage. Once the game develops and I get a better feel for it, this might just be added. That concept would work best if there was one huuuuge map where outposts would be like save points from where you could get supplies and crew to go further.

I do want combat but as a mean of protecting yourself from all kinds of hazards not a necessity.

Thanks again for the ideas. Once the basic game-mechanics are in place I can start trying different things out.

Devlog 3

* Stuff now moves in turns. You have a certain number of moves you can make each time.
* Animating sprites (waving flag on the ship eg.)
* Characters can now get off the ship and move on land. No walking animation yet.
* Fixes in object sorting (Don't know what was going on in there ..)
* GUI additions: Widgets now have a content source delegate which points to an object telling what this widget shows (for labels, menus and so on). Makes life easier, especially for menus which may have very dynamic content with lots of variables to take into account.

Next up: A way to get back on the ship, character stats and inventory and use of tools (to cut the forest down to forge paths).

Here's a screenshot showing the new character sprite, without an outline unlike in the mockup. It's small but not too bad I feel.

(shows the characters getting off the ship and going about). Also, near the end of the video there's a quick look how the game looks in grayscale as I toggle the sprite coloring on/off.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »

Delicious content, I liked the new character - looks more like a settler
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 07:49:07 AM »

To encourage the player to keep exploring , you could for example make rare resources attract people from higher classes and with better merchants.
For example, collecting fur could attract skilled cloth/armor merchants with higher quality items.

IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »

Really dig the color-scheme, has a very "solid" feel to it, if that makes any sense.

Plus, you're supposed to be traversing wild, unexplored territory; having a cooler, more distant feeling color-scheme seems appropriate for such areas as you'd be exploring them with some trepidation.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »

I was just thinking the other day that maybe the prevalence of adventure / RPG games is due to most people not having any spaces left to explore except those we invent - this is a quite literal take on that thought Smiley

A sepia tone / less desaturated look could work better than the straight greyscale - have you played with that yet?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »

I was just thinking the other day that maybe the prevalence of adventure / RPG games is due to most people not having any spaces left to explore except those we invent - this is a quite literal take on that thought Smiley

Thanks. Exploration and curiosity to see what's out there is in our blood, it's our driving force I believe. As a kid, I used to love wondering around the woods around my grandparents place. Sometimes I had the dog with me. Not that I'd be the first one there but still, I was there alone and felt like I was discovering stuff. Unlike deep forests in America (just kidding), there was no fear of running into a serial killer or something so I just wondered around for hours. Luckily I didn't run into a bear or anything.

A sepia tone / less desaturated look could work better than the straight greyscale - have you played with that yet?

The grayscale stuff is just a by-product of the graphics. You see, I do all the art in 4 gray colors and then apply the palette in code, that way I can try out different color schemes more easily. In the video, I just disabled the sprite coloring for a while. I thought it looked interesting, not that I'd want the whole game to look like that.

Anyway, I've been doing some stuff and implemented a simple main menu. I'll be tackling intentory next.

Here are some pixels (quite a lot of them actually). It's already pretty fun just to go around and discover land until you come across a forest you can't cut down (yet). Nor do you have to worry about food and water.

Clicky-click. In the second image, I wonder what's beneath that one hidden area on the island. Oooooh, maybe an entrance to a super secret treasure cave? Nah, most likely some flowers. Of death.

I like the terrain. It's easy to add details to it and make more varied stuff. But not the water. All I can think of at the moment are the waves, which do not look like waves at all and occasional rocks. Other than that, it's really empty.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:27:42 AM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 05:54:34 AM »

Water is empty, not your fault Eigen  Roll Eyes
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

Well, you could at least put a sea monster there for decoration. Tongue

Seriously, though, this is looking great, and it looks like you're making good progress.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »

Water is empty, not your fault Eigen  Roll Eyes

Here I was, blaming myself Grin
No, but really, what I meant was that water has texture and waves, it refracts light, reflects the sky and the clouds and so on. It's in motion. Here's a nice pixel-art water though I don't have the colors to work with.

johnki, thanks. Yeah, it's progressing nicely. I currently have a slower period at work so instead of just sitting around, I work on this.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »

I suppose it depends on how much dithering you want to do.. you could use the blue and black for some darker areas and the green and blue for turquoise shallow areas.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Devlog 3

Characters now have attributes (strength, stamina, agility and intellect) and stats (health, energy, hunger and thirst)

Energy is depleted with each move you make. You can only restore energy by resting which you can (or will be able to) do in a camp or in the ship. Hunger goes up with each turn you complete (a day passes). While on the move, you can eat berries and such, but you need to make camp to make proper food which you have to hunt/fish .. you can't eat raw meat you know. Character gets thirsty only when not carrying or having run out of water. If you have water, drinking is done automatically. You can get water from springs and closed bodies of water.

You can make different kinds of camps. One would basically be a fire and some tenting and another which is more permanent, if you need to stay in one place for longer, a cabin. You don't need to camp every night. The more stamina points, the longer the energy lasts. I know it's not realistic to go on exploring for 10 days without resting but nevermind that.

If you run out of energy or get really hungry or thirsty (fatigue, starvation and dehydration) you start losing health. I haven't decided how to restore health ... maybe some herbal potions or other medicines. Run out of health and you're dead. Real sad. Anyway ...

Character/party creation upon starting a new game + attribute rolling + name generation

Changing attribute values manually is yet to be done.

Tried out different parameters for map generation

Still haven't gotten to inventory yet. I should, really. Hopefully tomorrow will be a productive day.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

HNGNGGHHHH

This builds more hype than D3
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »

^ This.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 01:55:37 AM »

This keeps sounding better and better. Like the old school attribute rolling for character generation. Takes me back to playing Demons Winter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic