Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:38:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149370 times)
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »

Looks good, but a bit empty. Perhaps you could add some lines and sea monsters, ships or stuff like there was on maps at the time.

Some exemples:

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »

Perhaps you could add some lines and sea monsters, ships or stuff like there was on maps at the time.

Heh. I was gonna say the same thing.

Found this website yesterday and never got around to posting it. Seems like it could be a good resource but there might be too much junk to wade through for good inspiration.

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/maps/maps.cfm
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2012, 07:48:18 AM »

Thanks, I'll go trough these for ideas, though really this isn't a map in my case. A map will be a separate thing, like something on paper.

And man, those old maps are must've taken ages to draw.

Esti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

I am trying the build right now and I noticed the name of "Marciudad". In spanish it should be "Cuidadmar" to be a correct translation of "Seacity", it gets backwards.

Anyway I really dig your style.

Music Producer
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2012, 03:55:30 AM »

On Friday I saw that Greenlight has gotten a Concepts section and decided to give it a try. My game's not nearly far enough to be evaluated by the proper GL thing so this is perfect. So, if you go HERE you should see a game by yours truly somewhere near the top Smiley

If you voted for it (I'm not sure if thumbs up or either favouritings count) I'd really appreciate it, even if it doesn't really matter, though it helps to stay in the top and be seen by more people. Also, I'd love to get all 5 stars on there.

All in all the feedback has been positive there, only a few people have voiced their dislike of the graphics. That's totally okay and expected.

I am trying the build right now and I noticed the name of "Marciudad". In spanish it should be "Cuidadmar" to be a correct translation of "Seacity", it gets backwards.

Anyway I really dig your style.

Thank you. I'm not even sure why I chose Spanish for naming the city, it was pretty random. So, should I keep it Spanish I'll be sure to change it eventually.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2012, 04:44:31 AM »

Lovely work so far! Will buy when more complete Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »

First play video I've come across on YouTube. Sweeeeet!

Not much else to update. Still working on the overworld. The GUI is still missing so I won't show a screenshot just yet. Last night I got the terrain generation and drawing working on there and today I implemented the transition to exploration mode. You can take a look at what I did last night on

On Greenlight it's the second top rated game in the concept section. Not this or last week but in overall. Good. Good. If any of you voted, thank you Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: November 02, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »

Love what you're doing with this game! It keeps getting better with each update!

I just noticed your post on the SFML forums. How are you finding using SFML on this project? Would you recommend it? (1.6/2.0?)

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »

I just tried build 3 and I'm really impressed by it so far. I know it's not much yet but what you have is really good... It's just really relaxing to play Smiley

I do have a few suggestions though, first off I didn't realize that you could load your stuff onto your ship so when I was done with the "become a pioneer" quest I spend a few minutes not knowing what to do next. Maybe you could add another objective to the quest where you have to load everything onto the ship? Another thing, when I was playing my entire crew suddenly died, I guess they died of thirst or something that I was just not paying attention to. It could be nice with a small warning saying something like "[name] is really thirsty" so that we know hes about to die from thirst Smiley
Drevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2012, 06:01:33 AM »

It looks very cool. What's the reason behind the four color palette choice other than the retro style feeling? I like it a lot.

Also, are there any plans for a 32-bit linux build (and possibly distro-agnostic)?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »

Sorry for the lack of progress. I'm officially back and ready to kick some code's butt. I took some time off but I never thought it would turn into two whole weeks. That shooter game really went places ... which is actually great because trough that game many people discovered and downloaded Pioneers. The break was also good because now I'b back with sort of fresh set of eyes and some things are clearer. I might do that again sometime, take a week off (or two perhaps) and try to complete another little project. It does good I feel.

Anway.

Laitch
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, these are all valid issues and I'm going to try do something about them. There is a message box telling you're now ready to load stuff onto the ship but I see how that's easy to miss. About the dying, I think a speech bubble thing with a drinking icon above the characters head would help, unless of course your character is out of view the whole time ... which is unlikely I guess.

Drevlin
Thank you. The four color limitation came about from one of the rules in the competition our local gamedev community was organizing. I wasn't going to take part but the limitation rule intrigued me so I tried drawing some stuff. I failed miserably. I had an idea of a game similar to Pioneers but on a smaller scale. In fact, have a look at what I drew at that point (February 2, 2012). It was done on a lunchbreak at work in Gimp (OSX) in pretty much 10 minutes just to get a feel for what this limited palette's all about.

Really poor, but some of the elements and are there. After that somebody suggessted me that the blue could be used as a darker tone of green which changed my life as I know it and after a bunch of practice eventually lead me to the mockup I posted on this forums.

About Linux. As I stated in one the more recent posts, Linux builds would be available to whatever distro if someone took the building and maintaining into their own hands. I'm all  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right for it but I don't have time for it. Sorry.

Drevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »

Wow, that thing about the green and blue color blending is amazing  My Word!
Plus I find that color palette relaxing for the eyes

About linux, making a distro-agnostic build it's a matter of distributing the binaries of the used libraries along with the main program binary and adding a little script to run it. I can do it if you want (by the way, is the code open source?)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

Drevlin
Thank you. The four color limitation came about from one of the rules in the competition our local gamedev community was organizing. I wasn't going to take part but the limitation rule intrigued me so I tried drawing some stuff. I failed miserably. I had an idea of a game similar to Pioneers but on a smaller scale. In fact, have a look at what I drew at that point (February 2, 2012). It was done on a lunchbreak at work in Gimp (OSX) in pretty much 10 minutes just to get a feel for what this limited palette's all about.

This is an awesome bit of development history. Glad Drevlin thought to ask!

I played your Text-Based FPS for quite a while after it was featured on RPS before the revelation that the "Eigen" in the corner was you. The game's great. The gameplay reminds me a lot of the boardgame Frag despite the major stylistic differences.
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »

About linux, making a distro-agnostic build it's a matter of distributing the binaries of the used libraries along with the main program binary and adding a little script to run it. I can do it if you want

Drevlin, I'd be more than happy to help with that if you feel like it.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »

I know I'm like the third person to volunteer, but I could probably do a Linux build depending on what language it's written in and the libraries used, then again I tend to be pretty lazy and unreliable (just being honest) so I should be your last resort. BTW this looks better and better every time I look at it (been following this thread since day one), keep up the good work  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Think happy thoughts.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »

Wow, that thing about the green and blue color blending is amazing  My Word!
Plus I find that color palette relaxing for the eyes

Thanks for that. Yeah, it is relaxing. In fact the whole game is with its slow paced gameplay and the wave/wind sounds playing. That just reminded me that some time ago I watched a livestream of some guy playing some FPS and then Pioneers all of the sudden. He liked it but I noticed he yawned a lot while playing, something he didn't do during the FPS game. I thought that was really funny and shows just how slow (and boring) my game is for someone who might not exactly be into these kinds of games Grin Or maybe it was just late, I dunno.

Anyway, the code is not open-sourced because one day I'd like this game to be sold but Linux maintainers would get access, obviously. First I have to set up some sort of a repository for it.

I played your Text-Based FPS for quite a while after it was featured on RPS before the revelation that the "Eigen" in the corner was you. The game's great. The gameplay reminds me a lot of the boardgame Frag despite the major stylistic differences.

Thanks! It was an happy accident. Next time I'm going to work on a text-based RTS or a fighting game. Kidding! Or am I?! Yup, kidding. Or am I really?!

s_l_m, thank you. Glad to know this has been progressing Smiley

You're lazy, that's okay, you're among friends. I'm lazy too most of the time. It's written in C++ and uses the SFML library plus whatever one would prefer for reading/writing zip files (save game management).

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »

You should do an FPS text editor next...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »

Got any updates for us??

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »

did a quick reference to this in my devlog, hope you dont mind.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: November 20, 2012, 12:59:06 AM »

Here's a little progress update. This weekend I worked on the ability to transition back from the exploration mode into the overworld and sail back into the town. Previously I had a specific tile you had to move onto to leave the map. That sucked. In addition I did some graphics for the overworld (the town itself and actual forest sprites). Next I'll be adding some clouds.

I also added some basic sailing functionality and wind. Wind system is basically a set of points all over the map that each have different directions and the actual wind vector at any point is averaged among neighbouring points based on distance. I also thought about adding wind strength to each point but dismissed the ideas because I don't have any decent way of displaying that to the player plus it doesn't add much to the game anyway. Trying to get anywhere with an un-favourable wind is challenging as it is. That involves going off course a lot to find a good wind and not get lost as a result.

I cropped the sidebar because that's still empty right now.

Speed will be displayed in the top-left corner there, haven't gotten to that yet. Also, some sort of indicators should be displayed on the border of the circle to hint where to orient your ship for either tail or head wind (only on easy and normal difficulty levels of course).

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic