Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:46:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149373 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 24, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »

Well there be cave-ins affecting the overland map?
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 24, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »

Sorry if I'm missing something, but why can't you generate the map on the fly?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2013, 04:14:39 AM »

Sorry if I'm missing something, but why can't you generate the map on the fly?

There's nothing stopping me doing that but there's nothing to gain from it either. I think it's easier to do manage when everything is done in one big step in the beginning of the game as there may be some pre-defined areas and requirements for the terrain and whatever else. Working with map data when it's still in one large chunk is easier than having to poll individual map pieces on the go. Generate it once and be done with it. It doesn't interfere with the game anyway. I have the intro and tutorial during which to get it all done.

For example, some generation rule may require knowing about land/object that is two tiles away and since I don't have that data loaded in, I'd have to do that. Doesn't seem like the right approach to me.

If it had any implications on the gameplay, then yes. Right now I can't think of anything, so no.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:38:55 AM by Eigen » Logged

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »

Fair enough.
If you need input or help with the procedural generation, send me a mail, I love procedural things Smiley
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »

If it had any implications on the gameplay, then yes. Right now I can't think of anything, so no.
Accidentally build a house over a cave, cave collapses in the night, men get injured?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »

I don't believe there are currently any plans to allow the building of structures.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »

This is cool and the colors are incredibly pretty. I found a few things unintuitive while playing the tutorial, though; you might want to mention that you right click on items in the inventory to do stuff with them, and you might want to mention that once you start cutting a tree, you have to end your turn a couple of times before it'll finish. I was waiting for a good 30 seconds before I realized it wasn't going to finish on its own.

Also, not important at all, but when the "Hold on to your hats and pipes!" line was followed by "My hat!" I really hoped someone else would say "My pipe!"

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »

Thank you for you feedback. A lot of it has been brought up already so these are definitely issues that I need to fix. It never occured to me that I should state somewhere this is a turn-based game or that ending turns is what ticks actions. I figured it's clear enough but I guess it isn't. Embarrassed

I'm glad you find the colors pretty. The game should come with a warning saying that if you dislike green this isn't the game for you. jk.

Also, not important at all, but when the "Hold on to your hats and pipes!" line was followed by "My hat!" I really hoped someone else would say "My pipe!"

Ah, of course! Why didn't I think of that Smiley

Oh, and I'm mostly done with the new world structure. It's taken way longer and has required a lot of rewriting but I still beleive it's been worth it. Having a large continuous world to explore feels good. There are a few kinks to work out still and some performance issues (pretty lenghty load times when restoring a game) which I believe I can improve. Need to profile the code. Ninja

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: April 14, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »

I made a new mockup for the world map. It definitely looks better than previously, looks like an actual map now. Now I need to figure out how to render this thing.

And yes, I think I'll use a different palette for this screen.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 14, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »

Pseudorandom noisy strokes orthogonal to the coastline but with fixed seed so it will always render the same?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: April 16, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »

Pseudorandom noisy strokes orthogonal to the coastline but with fixed seed so it will always render the same?

That might be pushing it I think. I don't want anything too complicated because the game should run fine on older systems as well, even with integrated gfx chips or whatever. What I'm thinking of doing is simply have a rectangular sprite that I'll rotate in 8 directions to follow the coast line. The sprite covers two tiles at once. With a couple of variations it ought to look pretty similar to the mockup.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 17, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »

Ah, the "render" bit threw me off.

Yeah, simple tile mapping works and is a lot faster, and if you have multiple tiles for the same type of coastline connection you can avoid repetition. I do stand by my suggestion of "fixed pseudorandomness" so that the maps keep looking the same.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: April 22, 2013, 09:13:44 PM »

Fig. 1. Bezier Curve + Cellular Automata

I did some prototyping this evening on generating caves and ensuring connectedness between two given points. My current working algorithm for cave generation is:
  • Determine entry/exit points.
  • Place a rect at those points.
  • Connect the points with bezier curves.
  • Generate noise and do standard CA processing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:04:55 PM by Joshua » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: April 22, 2013, 09:45:54 PM »

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »

Boy that's clever
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »

Boy, i've been keen on having caves in our game for a long time.
Do you have an idea how they will look like with tiles yet? Are you gonna break up your 4 color rule (or use different 4 colors) to make them special?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 23, 2013, 01:03:35 AM »

Boy, I just wanted to add another sentence starting with 'boy'. Also, looks like a neat algorithm, although it will make the paths a bit predictable, no?
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »

Thanks folks!

@jO
I'm going to attempt to mockup a set of tiles that are just four colors, but the final word is with Eigen.

@JobLeonard
The example is hard coded. For the bezier curve generation, I'd put the outer two control points on the exits and then randomly generate the interior two control points (within a reasonable delta of course).

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Are you gonna break up your 4 color rule (or use different 4 colors) to make them special?

u mad, boy?

No, I certainly won't break the 4 color rule but a different palette's quite possible, just like I did with the map. Maybe something a bit more red? Drawing the cave tiles is a bit of challenge, yes. The limiting perspective and colors don't leave much leeway. Haven't really undertaken it yet. I'm letting Josh give it a try as well as he's just a better artist than me. I only have a quick and dirty tryout/mockup I did some time ago. Basically you have a torch and a rather limited range of visibility.

I'm working on the map at the moment and it's starting to come together. Last night I was trying out different variations of forest. I'm not sure which one I prefer. Number 2 I think ...

All in all I'm pretty happy with how the map looks like. There will be a bit more details here and there but nothing major.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:16:56 PM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »

I think either 1 or 4
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic