Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:53:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149847 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 28, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »

We're now discussing options how to actually render it. No shaders so it will require some manual pixel setting in several passes. Can't wait ... Lips Sealed
Can't you "fake it" in the tile-mapper?
Mirka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 01, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »

Here's my take on the cave lighting.

We're now discussing options how to actually render it. No shaders so it will require some manual pixel setting in several passes. Can't wait ... Lips Sealed

Looks great, Eigen! I'm looking forward for your next release.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »

Looks awesome!

How realistic is this game? And with that I mean, what can you reasonably expect to find in a cave apart from angry bears? If you go seeking gold, that would entail quite a mining operation, and in the new world, gold was more abundant in rivers anyway, wasn't it?

Or are we going full Indiana Jones style underground temples with traps, treasure and mad worshiping tribes people?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:35:22 AM by eobet » Logged

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »

Hey again, I havent been active in here for a long time due to a project in development, but I have noticed the lack of dev streams(Why so??)and I`ll be reading the recent posts ASAP.

Keep on rockin`!

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: May 06, 2013, 08:55:11 AM »

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the caves. Josh did a great job with it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it get implemented.

Looks awesome!

How realistic is this game? And with that I mean, what can you reasonably expect to find in a cave apart from angry bears? If you go seeking gold, that would entail quite a mining operation, and in the new world, gold was more abundant in rivers anyway, wasn't it?

Or are we going full Indiana Jones style underground temples with traps, treasure and mad worshiping tribes people?

Not too realistic I think. I don't want to limit myself too much because already I've discarded magic which could've been fun. I can have [herbal] potions and whatnot but no magic spells. Regarding the caves I'm thinking more along, as you said, Indiana Jones. That is, caves may be underground temples or burial grounds of sorts, so big treasures to be found potentially.

Traps and hazards
+
Getting utterly lost
+
Them golds
=
Risk + reward

They would also serve as shortcuts below dense forest or hilly areas I imagine. Less about mining I think. You have a pickaxe to work through piles of collapsed stones but perhaps it could also be used for minging. We'll see.

Hey again, I havent been active in here for a long time due to a project in development, but I have noticed the lack of dev streams(Why so??)and I`ll be reading the recent posts ASAP.

Yeah, sadly my development time has crawled to a halt. Partly because I'm currently reorganizing my work life but also because I've been feeling rather empty lately. I look at the code and I just can't force myself to do crap. I haven't been able to find a steady rhythm so somedays I get a lot done and then there are longer periods I don't do anything. It's not that I don't want to, I do, but I just can't begin. There are certainly ways to remedy that but that's a different topic altogether.

Not to say I've been slacking. Yesterday I started thinking and drawing a new visual for the town. I really want to break different game sections into different visual styles and I've been imagining a full-screen graphics pieces for the town from day one. Sadly that is more work than I can pull off (with decent results anyway), so to get away from the tile based rendering as it was previously and how the main game looks, I made this:

(Click for 1920 x 1080 image)

This breaks away from the main game style perspective-wise while still allowing me to use the assets I've already created with lots of room for detail. It's possible I will do some backgrounds for the different buildings in the town, so when you go to the tavern, you actually see its innerds but I'm not sure. Maybe. Someday.

The background is rather big and obviously scrolls around in the game as you move between different locations.

Time spent: too long

I want to add more different buildings and whatnot. Still WIP. Some bits I'm happy about, some not so much. I easily spent ~3 hours on the waves along the coast trying out all sorts of dithering options but everything looked noisy and crap.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:01:11 AM by Eigen » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: May 06, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »

I love the way this is developing.

The screenshot above is gorgeous but something is bugging me about the perspective. I'm no artist so I'm not sure exactly what to advise but I think it's largely because the buildings are all the same size. Also the pier looks a little skewed.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »

That large image is stunning! Well done.. Smiley
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »

You might be right. It's not bothering me because I've been looking at it for so long plus I usually don't care about perspective issues unless they are really noticable. I'm not even sure what angle this is ... sort of top down but not really. Having everything visible at once also breaks it a bit. Unless you play in 1920x1080 you see a much smaller area at once so the perspective issues might be less noticable.

That large image is stunning! Well done.. Smiley

Thank you Smiley

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »

A BIG SEASIDE PICTURE

My new desktop background.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »

A BIG SEASIDE PICTURE

My new desktop background.

Beer!

Don't go blind though. This isn't silky smooth HD render that pleases your viewing organs. It's jagged and rough, think grating your eyeballs with a cabbage grater.

edit: damn, I just paged myself.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »

I saw this thread on Reddit about famous Eastern art the other day:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1dnisu/are_there_any_eastern_works_of_art_which_are_as/

That wallpaper kinda reminds me of some of the works in there.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »

Just wanted to quote this since it got paged and deserved to be shown again. Looks great.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2013, 06:38:46 AM »

I just redownloaded the game to try it again, and may I say-I`ve gotten bored of it. It`s a great game, Im not gonna argue with you on that, but the current build has bored me out...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: May 07, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »

Just wanted to quote this since it got paged and deserved to be shown again. Looks great.

Yeah that's bewdiful!

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

Just linked my step-father to your site. He's going to love this game.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: May 09, 2013, 03:19:30 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just linked my step-father to your site. He's going to love this game.

How did that go I wonder?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1dnisu/are_there_any_eastern_works_of_art_which_are_as/

Interesting. Very beautiful pieces but I don't see any similarities. But very sweet of you to even think there's any resemblance Smiley

I just redownloaded the game to try it again, and may I say-I`ve gotten bored of it. It`s a great game, Im not gonna argue with you on that, but the current build has bored me out...

Me too.

There's a demo night next Thursday here in Tallinn (organized by IGDA Estonia). I'm going and I'm considering showing my game. I just need to get some stuff done by then. Just the kind of motivation I need Smiley

I hope it's fun.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: May 09, 2013, 05:00:44 AM »

Dev streams!!

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 09, 2013, 05:09:01 AM »

thx for that wallpaper Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 09, 2013, 05:20:00 AM »

Interesting. Very beautiful pieces but I don't see any similarities. But very sweet of you to even think there's any resemblance Smiley
This one to be precise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Along_the_River_During_the_Qingming_Festival

It's the perspective, I think.
qqqbbb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:02 AM »

I like the game but navigating with wind that blows in 2 directions is weird.
Is hunting implemented?  I met a bear but I have no idea how to attack it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic