Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:34:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149364 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: July 15, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »

"The people TIGsource, they can't help falling in love with you."
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: July 24, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »

Progress!

Working on converting my Python experiment to a C++ library, and wrote a simple app to help test/develop it. It now lives in it's own feature branch.

I still need to fully implement my algorithm (using bezier curves to ensure connectedness), and work on integrating it into the game proper.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »

Man, it's been years since my last post and updates. Work has been slow but hasn't seized, I assure you.

So what's new?

Lots of small fixes and improvements, more LUA integration, new bits of graphics, more music etc. I've also implemented a dialog system (in LUA) which should be plenty flexible, both for me and anyone wanting to mod stuff. Exposing game functions to LUA is a rather painful but rewarding task. Right now I'm working on the initial events taking place in the towns. Not exactly the main storyline because I haven't been able to come up with one yet. I only have vague ideas.

Town UI has been overhauled as well, mostly. Sorry for the instagram. Embarrassed

I've also drawn a couple of temples. There will be dfferent tribes scattered all over the world. They all worship a different thing, like the forest tribe, stone tribe, owl tribe and so on. I've posted these temples on the pixel thread at some point but I might as well post them here too. You can probably tell which temple belongs to which tribe.

I'm yet to put them into the game but I can't wait to do so. I think it's going to be pretty cool stumbling upon one of these (and search for gold), especially the owl one. It looks rather creepy and I would sh*t my pants if I found a building like that in the middle of a deep forest.

I'll now continue with the inital event sequence and dialogs. Right now things are mostly driven through dialog trees which might be a bit boring but I don't know what else to do.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »

Will you do a livestream anytime soon?

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2013, 03:18:33 AM »

Will you do a livestream anytime soon?

Perhaps later today.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: September 02, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »

I've been writing some dialog these past few days and I gotta say: writing is damn hard. Okay, maybe not writing as in coming up with what to write but how to stylise it and add character to lines spoken by characters. If any of you have tips on that I'd love to hear them. Or maybe point me to some good reference material?

Some examples of what I have:

A grumpy harbormaster

- I'm looking to travel to Marciudad

Look all ya want but ya ain't gonna find anything here. The only ship set for Marciudad this season is full at will not take any more of you landlubbers.

- But the merchant told..

That merchant can tell his fantastic stories til the cows come home but I'm sayin' to ya- the only ship going to Marciudad is at her fullest. Now make your leave.

You then buy him a couple of ales.

* first ale *

Do as thou wilt, I'm not one to say nay to an ale.

* second ale *

Ya'r alright, lad, -hic-, ya'r alright for a landlubber.

You can then ask about travelling again:

- I'm looking to travel to Marciudad

Ya know, -hic-, I might just be able to get ya a spot on the ship. It's bound to.. -hic-, leave soon so ya better hurry up. Ya'r alright, lad, ya know that?

This is one of the most unique characters I have right now, the rest are very bland.

Merchant of Marciudad

- Merchant in Oldden sent me. I'm seeking goods.

Oh, how is my dear friend these days? We have not met for what seems ages. Last we spoke was at the Merchant's Guild gathering and after a long round of ales he.. oh, I mustn't bore you with this.

- His business is closed.

Good grief, how many times have I told him to keep a little stock in surplus and not put everything out on the shelves. But does he learn.. You, my friend, you're in luck. I do have some things that might interest you. Just drop by my store. Once you have what you need, find me back here. I might have something for you to do.

* a bit later *

- Tell me about your offer.

Ah, glad you're interested. I have a little proposition for you and while I admit it may not bring the greatest glory, I feel it's the ideal task for you to tackle seeing how you want to build up your reputation. We all have to start somewhere, right?

Any way to improve these? Maybe I should post it in the Writing sub-forum instead.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: September 03, 2013, 02:54:35 AM »

So I went on The Internet to look up some writing tips and tutorials. Posting them here for future reference.

9 Easily Preventable Mistakes Writers Make with Dialogue
Writing believable dialogue
Music of speech
Dialogue writing for dummies
10 Easy Ways to Improve Your Dialogue

Basically they all say the same thing. Don't make it too formal and follow all the grammar rules but don't make it too realistic with umms and errs everywhere. I think I got that covered. A lot of it doesn't directly apply to my dialog because basically I have a speech bubble without any narrative around it. It does however apply to narrative texts I plan on using in other segments of the game. Like the intro text I posted some time ago.

The last link mentions speech patterns which I important I think. It's all rather interesting actually. All the things you must learn to make a game ... Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: September 03, 2013, 03:53:26 AM »

Man, those temples look lovely.

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 03, 2013, 04:27:24 AM »

This looks absolutely fantastic. It looks a bit clunky but at the same time, just wow! :D Amazing setting.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: September 03, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »

I've been writing some dialog these past few days and I gotta say: writing is damn hard. Okay, maybe not writing as in coming up with what to write but how to stylise it and add character to lines spoken by characters. If any of you have tips on that I'd love to hear them. Or maybe point me to some good reference material?

I do writing good. I'd be happy to work with you on dialog. Smiley

Eat my FictionPress

Also my text-intensive LD27 entry

A demo, on the house:

How's my dear friend these days? Seems like ages since we last met. Last he and I spoke was at that Merchants Guild meeting, wasn't it? And after all the ales I- Oh, I know that impatient look. I won't bore you with the details.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:15:10 AM by _Madk » Logged
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »

snip

How did this end up in Eigen's devlog thread?
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »

I'm helping Eigen with some of the dev work. I'm working on implementing subterranean areas and the algorithms to generate them.

With Delver getting Greenlit, and other life complications I haven't been able to devote much time to Pioneers.  Concerned

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 03, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

( v _ v ) I never knew. Hey that's some good stuff tho! :D
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: September 03, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »

No worries and thanks!

Eigen is the Pioneers Mastermind and I'm his little helper.  Durr...?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:47 AM »

A demo, on the house:

How's my dear friend these days? Seems like ages since we last met. Last he and I spoke was at that Merchants Guild meeting, wasn't it? And after all the ales I- Oh, I know that impatient look. I won't bore you with the details.

Thanks, _Madk, that's pretty nice though the root of the text has changed a bit. The merchant was about to say something with increasing excitement (also not about himself but his friend) before realising the conversation partner might not be that interested nor should he really know of it. Meeting and details also sound like rather modern words, no? But given the correct background and context I think you would do much better than me. I like your FictionPress pieces.

I would love to use your help but I'm terrible at delegating and managing any outside help as Josh could surely testify. I'm never around and when I promise to be on Skype the next day I won't be seen until next month (at best). I'm not sure how well it would work out ... Sad

Plus verbalizing the context and background for someone else to work from it is quite a lot of overhead.

But tips and little pushes here and there are more than welcome because I'd like to get better at it myself. So maybe I can write with my best effort, include some context and you could be the editor and go over it? Smiley

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »

Sure!

I'm afraid I don't have an awful lot of exposure to colonial-era English, so I'm not too familiar with the dialect. But I think I can still be helpful, and I'll go looking for something to get an idea from.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: September 09, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »

Yesterday I added temples to the world. A thousand of these are scattered all over. Finding any of them is pure luck though. To help, there are 4 markers at a certain distance around the temple which should help pinpoint the location if you come across one. I call them "Guardian Eyes". Right now you can't enter the temples to search for gold but that'll come soon.

It was pretty cool finding this last night. I immediately set up camp outside and broke out the biscuits!

As you may see, 'shadows' have been added beneath the trees. I noticed while I was working on the town background that having these shadows, even if inaccurate, beneath the trees helps make them look more connected to the terrain and not so floaty.

With this new large building the perspective and flatness issues are more noticeable but I tried blending the temple in with the terrain more (especially the steps) and hopefully it's not too bad. If all else fails- claim "artistic choice".

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 09, 2013, 02:46:45 AM »

The shadows indeed help a lot - not that I was complaining about the graphics before.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:44 AM »

The temple is looking great and maybe also having a slight shadow off the temple will also help bring it further into the scene.

siskavard
« Reply #619 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »

Looking better and better. The tree shadows are a great addition!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic