Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:42:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Hydorah
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Hydorah  (Read 8350 times)
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

Okay, so now we're playing:

What: Hydorah is an old-school-style horizontal space shooter made by Locamalito, who are known for other greats such as L'Abbaye des Morts, Viriax, Verminest, 8 Bit Killer and others.  The soundtrack is worth mentioning and is by Gryzor87.

How Long: Since shmups (depending on skill level) can potentially be beaten in one sitting, we probably only need about a week, unless there are secrets or unlockables that I don't know about yet, or if I have completely misjudged the game.

Where: You can download Hydorah absolutely free from Locamalito's Website (the download link is at the bottom).

That's it. Go play it.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »

Have yet to ever get past Path of Scylla.

Shall try again.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

Never played it before. I guess this will be a good incentive to.

Edit: Hrm, Perhaps not. It's just giving me a black screen for the level select and after I beat level 1 it's all black  Cry
Does anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it? It's probably because of Windows 7.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:59:14 AM by Glyph » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »

Path of Scylla is the best level in the game, and perhaps the best level I've ever played in any Shmup.

I've already gotten 100% on this one, so I'll pass this, but man this game is awesome.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »

How Long: Since shmups (depending on skill level) can potentially be beaten in one sitting, we probably only need about a week, unless there are secrets or unlockables that I don't know about yet, or if I have completely misjudged the game.
game's actually pretty long for a shmup, it even has a save feature. there are unlockables too.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:03:46 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »

ooh, well that's cool. sounds promising. the deadline's not written in stone, though, and it'll last as long as it lasts

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »

Why is this game so slow? Can't even get past the main menu because of how slow this slow game is.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »

Deadlines are automatically one month.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »

This game is awesome, but so far beyond my abilities. I might just use the decompiler to give myself infinite lives.  Tongue

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »

Oh snap yes I love me some SHMUPS, I'm going to rock this game, downloading it right now.  I am also running windows 7 so I'll let you know if it runs correctly.

edit: Downloaded and didn't work on windows 7 64 bit.  Gave me a black screen on the menu.  To fix this I right clicked and ran troubleshoot compatibility, this fixed it.  Also you can skip right to the main menu by clicking x or z.

Also, beat the first level.  The games really good the first level reminds me heavily of gradius.  I'm not really sure what the different colors of power up do.  sometimes i get shields sometimes weapons sometimes level up I'm not really sure...  Also I can't figure out how to bomb... Time to hook up the 360 pad and see what the later levels of this game are like!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:52:53 AM by dustin » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »

Green Powerups: Upgrade your shot once at 5 and a second time at 10. Beyond 10 they give you points.

Red Powerups: Upgrade your secondary weapon once you get it (after the first stage)

Yellow Powerups: Bombs

Blue Powerups: Speed

Dane
Level 0

it's hip ²b ■

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

Wow the final boss refuses to die. Or do anything. He's just sitting there like the smug bastard that he is, taking all my bullets in the face.

That aside it's a great game, good challenge (but fuck you, eels) and clever secrets.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

The game can work without music, but almost acts like a memory leak if it includes it. What can solve this?
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »

Mine work perfectly on Seven 64.
I played it when it was released, but forgave after losing a few time at level 2. This is a great opportunity to give it a second try !

I'm currently at level 6 (I took the low road). I learn two levels, save when I pass them both without losing a life, and continue. When at level 8, I'll do it again with 3-4 levels per save.

It's the first time I try to beat an horizontal shoot'em'up and I never though it was so fun to do and re-do entire levels just to memorize them !

In addition to Sinclair's post :
when you die, you lose : 3 green powerups, 3 red, 1 yellow ans 1 blue.

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »

Ugh, I have windows 7 64 bit, and it's giving me a black screen after the little intro. I can play it in compatibility mode, but then there's no music. Any solutions?

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »

@sinclair - Thanks I couldn't figure out red and green since they don't give you the power up right away (you need 5 of them...)

@windows7 it will only run for me when I right click and click toubleshoot compatibility then in that window there's a start program button.  I click that and it works, if I just go through with the check and then try to run the program it still breaks... Oh well at least I can play.

So Level 2 is way harder then level 1 for me but I eventually got it.  I'm really not used to dodging terrain and I would say 90% of my deaths are from me running into the ground/ceiling/some cave structure but i'm starting to get it in my head that I have to dodge those to...

I beat level 2 and the next level is just a joke, seriously.  I guess it's just so I can upgrade my weapons (that's even in the name).

Beating that level I took the lower path because the tree sounded cool, and boy is it!  It was another easy level but very very cool so I'm fine with that.  Beat it first try no dieing.  Then came a bug level which also doesn't seem to hard so far but I didn't beat it first try...

So far the game is really fun and the save system is unique and strategic.  I just wish there was a quick save so that I could stop the game without having to use one of my main saves.  I like to play in short bursts.
iffi
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »

Hydorah works fine on my Windows 7 x64 computer.

I managed to get past the first two stages without any misses, and used a save. I hate having to restart the section whenever I die, and with a loss of upgrades, too, but other than that it's pretty fun.
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

I really suck at shmups, so it will take me practicing all month just to get past level four or so.

Not that I care. This game has so much style that I'll enjoy every moment of it. Still stuck on level two, but three is the farthest I've gotten, so I should get through two tonight at least. I should probably waste my saves just to practice the first few levels.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »

I think the save system is really clever so far.  It's fun having a shmup that's not either me forcing myself to beat on 1 credit, or just beating each level individually (since I can save after each one.  This method I still feel like I have to practice to beat the whole thing, but it can be longer without being frustrating. 

That said so far I'm done with my first run through (get half way through the game using all 3 saves) so now I'm going to start my second run through where I will try to get halfway through before I save.  If that proves to hard I might have to do 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3 I guess but I think I should be able to do it.
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:53 AM »

Finally beaten level 6 ! It was worth it ;p

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic