Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:11:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Hydorah
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Hydorah  (Read 8404 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »

I suck at this game... :/

Edit: But it looks and sounds so good

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44:40 AM »

Ah, finally took down the WARCORE. I think the thing that did it for me was weapon choice on that level. I think the game kind of steers you toward using one weapon, but when I used a different one, it was much easier.

octacon100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »

Are people still playing this or is there another game coming up?

This year is going to be the year I get a game finished! Athena Hope! <a href="http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25163.0/>
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »

The vote was April 21, so we still have three weeks left on Hydorah.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »

Just played this, very smooth. I think most of the elements fit together nicely, but the rotating aliased asteroid sprites were a bit of a let down. I wonder if you could do a low-res game like this, but embed it in high-res, so you could rotate the pixeled sprites without aliasing? Anyways, I only had time to  play two levels but hopefully I'll have a chance to play a bit more..

iffi
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »

Just played this, very smooth. I think most of the elements fit together nicely, but the rotating aliased asteroid sprites were a bit of a let down. I wonder if you could do a low-res game like this, but embed it in high-res, so you could rotate the pixeled sprites without aliasing? Anyways, I only had time to  play two levels but hopefully I'll have a chance to play a bit more..
You mean like

?
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:56 AM »

You mean like

?

I prefer it the way it is. I don't like the look in that video.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »

Um, you mean like any 2d game that uses a GPU instead of blitting? Yeah, you can do that.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »

I've done two or three perfect runs of this game by now, over the years- no deaths, all the levels on both branches and the extra tidbits. It's a really exceptional game.

Hydorah really makes me conflicted with regard to shooter design, though. Games with music and atmosphere as incredible as Hydorah's really shouldn't be hiding behind such obnoxious difficulty! I can make it through Galactic Inferno with most of my lives and upgrades intact, but it's such a brick wall on the difficulty curve that I get the feeling a lot of people who love what they see aren't even able to make it to the more beautiful levels on the second branch.

Path of Scylla is absolutely one of the coolest settings I've ever seen in a video game.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

Valter, yeh I'm one of the guys who can't make it through the early levels ... which sucks because I love the look/feel of the game and I'd like to see this Path of Scylla. Maybe I'll devote an hour or two today to trying to get there today ... Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »

so i spent an hour today and got up to world 4 or 5 .. still haven't made it to Path of Scylla ... it's a bloody hard game, but oozes great design..
thx to @paste or whoever for suggesting it for the game club!

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:53 AM »

it was all the people what voted for it

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic