Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:07:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesROCK BOSHERS (FINISHED!) - ver1.06
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: ROCK BOSHERS (FINISHED!) - ver1.06  (Read 53735 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »

Is there a way to zoom the graphics? 'tis hurting my eyes!
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »

Ok, I`ll sort out a 2x sized version, or possibly full screen.

This is my first use of gamemaker, so I may have to just release different versions as I`m not sure how easy it is to add a choice ingame?

Also Game maker seems to interpolate the art when scaled which is a bit of a shame, as I prefer crisp pixels. But I guess it kinda suits the zx spectrum more (imagining RF output onto a tv).

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »

There's a surface/viewport trick in GM in order to scale the graphics without the nasty interpolation. Makes you wonder why it interpolates in the first place. Everybody knows interpolation looks like shit 99% of the time.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=386482

This thread kind-of explains how to work it out. If you can't get it working I might be able to help.

If you really can't work that out, simply make the game fullscreen 320x240. It's the easiest solution.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:11:27 AM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

Great find Melly - thanks! I`ll give it a try tonight.  Beer!

And I`ll post an update in a few days with all the new bits that have gone into the game.

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

Not sure this is the right place in the forums to put this, as its waaaay after the competition ended. But I finished off the original demo as a useful exercise in trying to learn gamemaker (there's actually a game to play now).

Demake of RED FACTION onto the ZX spectrum with 18 levels featuring the likes of:
teeny zombies
turrets
rocket launchers
vs battle arenas (complete with pesky key-clash issues)
and a giant end-of-game boss!

<removed old dload link>

4MB rar file.
Please do give it a wizz if you like top down shooters and let me know of any issues. ta. (F4 toggles fullscreen btw - and controls are on ingame menus)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:41:07 PM by moogled » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

Checkin...

EDIT: Haha, oh man you been working hard on this haven't you? (though it seems you didn't get the scaling effect to work. GM's stretched fullscreen sucks for big-pixel games). Pretty awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:41:38 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »

Checkin...

EDIT: Haha, oh man you been working hard on this haven't you? (though it seems you didn't get the scaling effect to work. GM's stretched fullscreen sucks for big-pixel games). Pretty awesome stuff.

heya - heres a TEST version of the scaling fix (thanks again to Melly for pointing me to it) - is was breaking my pause screens earlier. But I got it working now apart from the following issues:

1. Text prompts - the `press fire` graphic prompt doesn't appear.
2. End of level prompt - the `new level time` graphic doesn't appear if you get a good time.
3. multiplayer level of end prompts - the winners face graphic doesnt appear.

EDIT: just read on indiegames that this pixelly version might cause the game to crash (probably a text prompt i missed)! So please only try this for test purposes, otherwise use the stable version RockBoshers_v05 in the above post.

<removed old dload link> - crisp pixel version - potential crash issue on later levels. 4MB rar

(keep game fullscreen, i think the pixelly effect scrambles a bit if windowed)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:41:31 PM by moogled » Logged

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

Way to go man! I'll give this a try  Beer!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »

Is there a way to save ?
I reached level 9 but then the game crashed. I don't really feel like restarting.

Oh and the games is AWESOME  Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 12:58:21 AM »

This game is really fun. I definitely would have voted for it if it had been in on time. I like that you sort of based it roughly on Red Faction instead of making an exact replica. And the graphics are lovely.

rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 01:06:46 AM »

This game has so many nice little touches that add to the atmosphere and I love the humour!  Great work.  It also looks fantastic considering the graphical limitations of the ZX - if the Bitmap Brothers ever worked on a spectrum game I would have expected it to look like this Smiley  Beer!

The saving/loading should be automatic (or at least simpler to perform) imo, and the ESC key shouldn't kill the game, but hey, that's all potentially fixable isn't it?

Kempston/Interface II joystick support would be appreciated too! Wink
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 01:31:42 AM »

Is there a way to save ?
I reached level 9 but then the game crashed. I don't really feel like restarting.

Oh and the games is AWESOME  Gentleman

Hi - glad you like it  Beer! - to save (its convoluted) you need to get back to the main menu, then go to the load/save screen and save.
(so each time you finish a level, start the next then pause/die - go to main menu and save - then you can restart from that level. (saying that, the game shouldnt crash so you should only need to save if you die - but its awful design eitherway)

Its not the most ideal solution I know, and will try to rectify it today. Lips Sealed

Sorry to hear it crashed - was it the crisp pixel version you were playing? I`ll look into level 9... The other version `should` be fine as it has been played through many times.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:42:32 PM by moogled » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 07:23:05 AM »

Sorry to hear it crashed - was it the crisp pixel version you were playing? I`ll look into level 9... The other version [http://www.mooloo.co.uk/demake/RockBoshers_v05.rar] `should` be fine as it has been played through many times.
It was the latest version (I think the experimental one) I got an error message, then I got 4 game screens at once on screen. Don't know if it was related to the level or not though.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FiaStarta
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 05:29:07 AM »

This game is really well done on all aspects.
I just wish I could pass that damn level 11 Sad
(anyone has a savegame?)
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »

Mock Anger
This game is really hard.

Excellently executed though.
Avnas Ishtaroth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 11:11:16 PM »

This game is amazing, but really, really hard. Tongue
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 08:06:41 AM »

quick info update -
>I am just adding xbox360 joypad (wired) support which should make the game easier for anyone who is finding it too tricky (well for me at least strafing on the joypad `feels` a bit more intuative).
>Also fixed the save system so it saves at the end of each level (old method was hideous-apologies).
>Also arena mode will support joypads (currently it's a bit unplayable due to key input clashes).
>Annnnnnd - theres a bonus mini asteroids clone to unlock (just need to get the boss finished off).

Will post again (within the week hopefully) when new final-final version bugtested and ready.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:46 PM »

Moogled, this is fantastic. It's fun, it's polished, it's on Mars and it's still got Geo-Mod in all its glory.

I feel like I'm playing an old favourite I've dug up after many forgotten years - and that my nostalgia goggles weren't lying. I haven't beaten it yet, but I *think* it might be the most effectively de-made demake.

So yeah. Well done!
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 10:49:23 AM »

Hurrah - New version up with the following additions:

>Better save system - saves automatically at the end of each level now.
>360 wired joypad support.
>Slightly less aggro zombies.
>Unlockable bonus asteroids type game.

>Pixel crisp in fullscreen mode (your graphics card needs to be able to support `surfaces` in game maker to do this, most do - if not there is a filtered version you can dload instead).
>Vs arena mode much better now with joypads added into the mix.

And some other tweaks here and there...

http://tikipod.com/rockboshers/

or direct dload to the pixel sharp version:
http://tikipod.com/rockboshers/Rockboshers_v106_pixelcrisp.rar
or filtered version:
http://tikipod.com/rockboshers/Rockboshers_v106_filtered.rar

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »