Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:15:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesFable of Griselda [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Fable of Griselda [FINISHED]  (Read 45547 times)
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 02:45:46 AM »

This is actually pretty awesome, a bit difficult to hit the enemies moving around but I think it just adds to the feel of it being a demake. Can't wait to see more in the future.
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »

***  Introduces screen's woot!  *** 

(Translation: Woot for intro screens)

I didn't work on this nearly as much as I probably should have this weekend.  I worked in the yard and read a book and stuff.  But I at least got the intro screen working!

I need to decide how gung ho to get on being able to buy things.  Since I don't have secondary weapons yet (and I'm not really planning to for the competition) it doesn't make much sense to be able to buy things like bombs and arrows.  And there's no shield, so there's not much point in being able to buy one of those either.  So I have to decide what to actually do with the stores.

After that I think I'll be ready to make the rest of the map up through level 1.  I figure for the purposes of the competition the end of the first dungeon would be a good place to stop.  Most of the mapping part shouldn't be hard, though I'll have to do a little bit for it and make some more enemies and such.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know I'm still working on it.
Zaphos
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »

You're a guy?  How did you get a nickname like Melly then?  It seems like one of those things that there's an interesting story behind.
Mel is a name.  For example see Mel Gibson.  Could be short for Melvin or Melbourne.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 10:56:21 PM »

Yer, I swear I've heard "Mel" as a girl's name too.
I actually thought Melly was male ever since I saw his posts.  Beer!
HAH at the video. And I found LoZ difficult to hit moving enemies when I first played it  WTF
help how do you enter the cave

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 05:10:41 AM »

Yer, I swear I've heard "Mel" as a girl's name too.
I actually thought Melly was male ever since I saw his posts.  Beer!
HAH at the video. And I found LoZ difficult to hit moving enemies when I first played it  WTF
help how do you enter the cave

I actually call my wife Mel sometimes.  I never though about guys named Mel when I called her that though.  Puts kind of a weird spin on it, doesn't it?

Anyway, sorry about the caves.  I haven't made the maps for them or hooked them up to anything yet!  I think that's going to be next on my TODO list though (well, finishing out more of the map in general, but including caves).  It won't be hard now that I've got all the mapping stuff pretty much finished.  I just have to have time to do it.

P.S.  In the current build of FoG I've slowed things down a little bit so the enemies will hopefully be a bit easier to hit.  I'll post a new downloadable version once I have a few more features implemented.  (Of course, I always hide behind a rock or something and wait for them to come to me.  Some hero I am!)
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

You need .net? So this is a C# or VB application? I didn't know C# liked to do thing with text. Are you also using another library to accomplish the text window commands? Imma gonna checka this out.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

http://www.mono-project.com/MonoCurses Smiley
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »

Yep.  100% C#.  It's a good language.  In .NET 1.0-1.1 there wasn't a lot of support for console manipulation.  In .NET 2.0 they added a lot of support (I mean, you could do it all before, but it wasn't built in to the .NET Framework) for console stuff: changing colors, setting your cursor position, even playing PC speaker sounds (variable pitch and everything!).  It still isn't REALLY keen on doing ASCII based games, but it makes for an interesting programming challenge (having to implement buffering and other stuff like that).  I got into it because I was teaching a class on C# and wanted to show my students that they could do cool stuff just with what they learned in my class (it was an introductory class where we did mainly console stuff and not much with Winforms), so I made a text based game (Donkey Kong ASCII FTW!).  You can read a longer version of the story on my blog and even download DKA (and others), but I won't bore everyone with all that here.

That MonoCurses looks interesting.  I'll have to check it out.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »

I like my name.

Game looking good.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »

I have good news and I have bad news.  The bad news is that I might not be able to get as much done on the game as I would have liked.  I'm going to try and finish through level one, but I'm not making any promises.  The reason I'm not making any promises is the good news.  My wife and I have a little baby boy!  He's our first.  Anyway, I'll get as much done on the game as I can, but diapers a bottles have precedence.  I'll release as much as I get done with.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »

My wife and I have a little baby boy!

Ha! Now don't you act all surprised about that!

Ah, just kidding. Congratulations! Beer!
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 07:42:04 PM »

Yay!  30 replies!  We'll ignore the fact that some of them are mine. Smiley

Yeah, I shouldn't act too surprised.  Maybe a little more surprised than you might expect since we adopted him and he came a week before the due date.  But I definitely knew he was coming. Should have coded faster. Smiley

Anyway, I've been able to work on stuff a little between bottles and diaper changes and I have a new video.  I'll hopefully be able to work some more and finish up tomorrow in time for the deadline.  Most of the remaining work should be creating the maps as opposed to adding features which should be easier.

A summary of stuff added:
- Taking a completely original gameplay route, you no longer start with a sword.  You have to find a sword.  Isn't that original?
- I added maps for caves.
- Hyper-realistic fire animations with two (2) amazing colors.
- Animated hearts.
- Purchasing system implemented (you can now purchase animated hearts as well as pick them up from enemies).

Here's the link to the video:

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 08:06:46 PM »

Love the broken english on the shops. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »

Thanks!  Most of it's even on purpose!
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »

Yay!  It's finished!  Or at least as finished as it's going to get for the competition.  I wish I had more time to add more stuff, but the gist of it's there.  You can actually win and lose the game now!  I know, I know.  I'm an over achiever.

Anyway, you can download it from here.

http://mythicant.com/2008/09/07/fable-of-griselda--finalish.aspx
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 10:52:52 PM »

I just played it, nice Smiley

But wait! there is ZeldaRL, which uses ASCII as well! (Well, not the extended charset :D) you can find it at http://slashie.net

(They are completely different though... ZeldaRL generates random worlds, while this one pays homage to the Zelda I level)

theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »

I just played it, nice Smiley

But wait! there is ZeldaRL, which uses ASCII as well! (Well, not the extended charset :D) you can find it at http://slashie.net

(They are completely different though... ZeldaRL generates random worlds, while this one pays homage to the Zelda I level)

I didn't even know there was a ZeldaRL!  I guess I should have done better homework.  You're right though, the two games are very different.  A roguelike is actually on my list of games to make.  I've started on one or two before, but didn't get very far before I got distracted by something else (or overwhelmed before I had much programming experience). 

I love the site.  MegamanRL?  Brilliant!  A new (non-lame) feed for Google Reader!  Yay!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »

Oh dear I can't seem to be able to kill any ennemy in this game  Tired

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »

Yes, the input can take a little getting used to.  I personally like to hide behind bushes and such and wait for the bad guys to come to me.  Not very heroic, but cowards usually live longer than heroes, right?  If it helps, you can also just hold down the space bar to stick out your sword.  If a bad guy runs into it he'll get damaged.

There are also a few cheat codes debugging aides that might help.  If you're interested let me know (or you can probably find them yourself, they're not that hard).
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 10:17:15 AM »

If it helps, you can also just hold down the space bar to stick out your sword.  If a bad guy runs into it he'll get damaged.

Ah yes I didn't even know you had to stick out your sword. Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic