Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:48:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsPlayStation Suite SDK Development Tutorials
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Suite SDK Development Tutorials  (Read 19015 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »

Ok, I've got a bit of a bug in this regard.  With the open beta of the PlayStation Studio SDK, i've become somewhat enamoured, to the point I picked up a Vita to develop on. 

Anyways, I've started a series of tutorials on developing games using the PS SDK.  This could be XBox Live Indie done right, here's hoping Sony pulls it off.  If you are intrigued at developing for PS Vita, PS Android products ( including some HTC devices ), and just possibly the PS3, using a C# (mono) based environment, these posts might interest you.

So far I've put together the following:

A look around the PlayStation Suite tools and SDK -- a top level look at the SDK and the bits and pieces included.

Debugging PlayStation Suite Applications on your Vita device An overview of how to actually deploy to a Vita device

And finally....

The mandatory Hello World tutorial, which is acutally a bit more involved than you might expect, but introduces you to creating your first PS app in detail.

This is just the beginning, I've got a few more in the works and coming soon.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »

So you finally got permission from Sony?
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

Yeah, I did.  Initially with this thread which gave tentative permission to go ahead, but then I received an email directly from a Sony VP with the exact quote being "unless someone is working to hack PSS as a backdoor to piracy, we're very keen to have people write tutorials, books etc."

Thus far, I am extremely impressed by Sony's efforts in this regard, from developer support ( which has been A1 ), to materials provided... although the documentation can at times be a bit "Engrish" and most of the tooltips are in Japanese... Wink

So far, from my experiences, Sony are doing everything right in supporting Indie developers, lets hope they keep at it!

They've done well enough to turn me into a bit of a cheerleader, which given my history as a gamer and programmer ( very much in Microsoft's camp ), is one heck of a feat!
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »

Hnng. I want a Vita so badly, even after visiting one of the three malls Sony was showing a beta of it in earlier in the year. Your site is a nice stop for this kind of stuff.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »

working on a minecraft clone  , FIRST

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »

New tutorial up, Hello World 2: Hello Harder..

This tutorial builds on the previous one, illustrating how to implement a game loop and access the gamepad to rotate and scale the sprite.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »

So the language for the Vita is Java? Ugh.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »

Nope C#.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

so I downloaded and installed the thing and it is indeed very nice.
Sony really went the long way to make it easy for devellopers.
This could become huge if Sony doesn't fuck it up (needs tight but not restrictive quality control)

Only complaint: there are demos and crutches for everything, except for making good sidescrolling 2D games (this will require a bit of work)

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

Nope C#.

OH MY GOD WHY

Why is it that hard to just give us C APIs nowadays?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »

Nope C#.

OH MY GOD WHY

PLZ keep the stupid language discussion in this thread

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, Serapth! Looks simple to follow just like your SFML tutorial.

Vita, here I come  Hand Money Left Kiss Hand Money Right

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:48:15 AM »

Nope C#.

OH MY GOD WHY

There are a couple of different reasons. The biggest is probably security, it's more difficult to sandbox C (ask Google). People could start going the Adobe Alchemy route and offer a version of C that compiles to to byte code and only has access to a limited API and sand boxed memory, but that is more difficult to implement than porting mono.  There are also political reasons why C# is used, obvious with Microsoft picking it for XNA, but I imagine Sony chose it for PS Suite to both poach XBLIG developers and .  Also most developers would rather code in C# than C or C++ if given the option.  The reasons for writing code in C are speed (and if you're working on a PS Vita game that needs C speed you can probably get a full devkit, otherwise you're doing it wrong), portability, and taking advantage of all the C libraries available. I think that all except the last one aren't really concerns for hobbyist indie developers targeting PS Suite. 

At this point C# is relatively portable as far as game development is concerned.  You can use it build games similar to what most indies are building for most platforms indies are making them for (PC, Mac, Linux, Native Client, Android, iOS, 360, PS3), and there are a ton of high profile indie games that have been written with C# (Fez, Atom Zombie Smashers, Dishwasher, Monaco, Terraria, Bastion, etc.)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »

Updated with a big new tutorial.  This one covers exporting from Blender to PS Suite, and includes a video of the entire process.

It got so big it actually had to be split into two parts.  The first part is entirely Blender, and covers mapping, texturing and exporting a model from Blender.  If you have prior experience with Blender you can probably skip this.  Also, if you have no prior experience with Blender and are interested in texturing with Blender, even if you don't care about PS dev.

The second part covers converting the model into mdx format, importing into studio, then the code required to display it in 3D.

Exporting from Blender to PS Suite: Blender to Vita in under 5 minutes.

Part 2
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

These are great tutorials.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to create Flixel type wrappers. For instance, consider this code:

Code:
 var width = Director.Instance.GL.Context.GetViewport().Width;

That is so long. Maybe it's just because I'm not a hardcore coder, but this is six layers deep.

Is it possible to turn it into this:

Code:
 var width = FlxG.Width;

Or should I just use what is available?

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »

These are great tutorials.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to create Flixel type wrappers. For instance, consider this code:

Code:
 var width = Director.Instance.GL.Context.GetViewport().Width;

That is so long. Maybe it's just because I'm not a hardcore coder, but this is six layers deep.

Is it possible to turn it into this:

Code:
 var width = FlxG.Width;

Or should I just use what is available?

Yeah, you could easily create a short hand wrapper layer around their rather... long naming convention.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »

I just finished publishing the next tutorial, this one is about creating a sprite sheet ( I recycled my earlier Daz tutorial for this ) using TexturePacker, then utilizing it in PlayStation Suite.

The end result is this:

Tutorial link
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »

Another tutorial live, this one covers the various ways to update your objects in GameEngine.  Covered topics include using Schedule, deriving from Node and overriding Update ( and the Scheduler singleton ) as well as creating an Action for use with the ActionManager singleton.

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 05:37:29 AM »

Another update, this one is a two part tutorial

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/05/15/PlayStation-Studio-SDK-TutorialUI-Composer-and-networking-Part-1.aspx

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/05/15/PlayStation-Studio-SDK-TutorialUI-Composer-and-networking-Part-2.aspx

Part one covers creating a UI with UI Composer and the code needed to display it.  Part two covers creating a network client to connect to a high score server.

Coincidentally I re-used the Node code from my SFML/Node leaderboard tutorial for the server.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »

Though I'll probably never going to develop for PSV, I thank you for your tutorials. Hand Shake Left Cheesy Hand Shake Right

Yeah.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic