Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:26:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE  (Read 91283 times)
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: May 11, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »

virt = super awesome music remix dude who has a few remixes on OCremix and such.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 14, 2010, 06:46:29 AM »

Hes also the founder of VGmix, did the Contra 4 soundtrack, rocks each kwakfest (1 hour IRC midi composition festival) with an amazing song and plays keybor (I think) in the "the smash brothers" metul video game covers band  Beer!

Alright, enough off topicness  Wizard
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:02 AM »

This might seem a bit selfcentered BUT:

I'm pretty close to finishing the Bonkers game (that is just a working title) and although some of the weapons will change a bit in the future (Bubble and Boomerang) maybe there is some potential there, in case you need more main characters or support characters (whatever those are). The skillset includes doublejump, dash and 4 different weapons that have some features besides the BOOM I HURT YOU.

Just saying in case you need something. Theres also the possibility of a stage from either Bonkers or Banana Nababa.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 07, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »

Theres also the possibility of a stage from either Bonkers or Banana Nababa.
i suggested the "Fake Raiden" stage from [Banana Nababa] long ago but peolple said "the game's hard so people won't recognize the last stage hurr!". i'll really love to see that level on IB tough...

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Zelonod the evil pudding
Level 0

I'm tasty evil pudding

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2010, 04:23:34 AM »

how do you make gif pictures

I like pudding.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »

how do you make gif pictures
Find a program that allows you to make animations, save them as GIFs, and then upload them onto the forum.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »

GIMP is a free program that can save gifs.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2010, 04:49:51 AM »

Smiley

Very intriguing project you guys have going here. Curious: having any luck with the AI yet? And do you have alternative color schemes (or something along the lines) for multiple players selecting identical characters? Perhaps a prospective concept for the 1P story/adventure mode?

I would think some blend between SFA3's World Tour, KoF 2006's Quest Survival, FF's Countdown Mode, and SSMB's Adventure Modes would be great; just factor in some platforming sections and gimmicks that utilize players' moves in ways other than *just* combating other foes, perhaps add in some popular, simple dronelike enemies to populate them (and treasure/goodies/powerups to collect from said games), meant primarily to weaken the player or run them out of time; and top that off with a World Tour-style showdown.

Conclude that segment with the ability to buy back health, extra lives, more time, etc. between "chapters," followed by a choice between 2 or maybe 3 challenges at a time, for an entertaining, nonlinear kind of approach. I'd suggest at *least* 2-3 "final boss" stages, depending on routes you take to get there, too. The drone enemies could also spawn (or be triggered to spawn) in the regular game as well; allowing them to spice up the action a bit, or as a designed response to interfere with infinite attack loops.

Each character should ideally have at least 3 different, coinciding AI patterns; not too unlike the way Pac-Man ghosts work. Facing one alone isn't going to be too hard to the player, it's facing the team of them that makes it challenging. Granted, each character will ideally play to their strengths, so a character with vertical-oriented attacks well tend to home in on players' x-axis, for instance; while keeping an advantageous degree of distance from the player.

One ideal example of a challenging AI team is one particularly offensive, in-your-face attack-oriented AI, another that homes in and uses items a lot, and a third that simply attempts to protect the other two; or attacks in proximity to, but not directly AT you - sort of confining your mobility, so to say.

You could also mix up the rules a bit - perhaps in one showdown, each of your opponents is given 30 lives, but they all die with one-hit-KO's. Maybe even a time-warp kind of tactic, where once you defeat one "life" and the second begins, it initiates a spawned replay of the first life; so now there's two sets of attacks to dodge.

Ideal fighter AI always comes down to a few key prioritized steps, however:

1. Defensive reactions (when not given an opening)
2. Homing in on ideal range.
3. Intial offense (the approach).
4. Finishing offense (the knockaway/juggle, and setting up a follow-up that buys some time to set the cycle back up at step 2, ideally).

Having a decent variety of tactics available to each character, and setting them up differently (yet indistiguishably) is a great way to keep players on their toes, so it's not like you're fighting a single AI drone, every time you play. Mixing tactics may seem like a good idea too, but then you're simply reducing the number of tactical approaches there are to face. And don't forget - while a multi-player game at it's core (4P), that doesn't mean you're limited to having that many active sprites/characters altogether. Wink

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2010, 04:51:10 AM »

Whoops. Do I have permission to post that, above? WinkHand Thumbs Up Right

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: June 20, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »

Of course you have permission to post here. Smiley

Very interesting ideas you brought up in regards to the AI. I haven't started programming it yet, but I'll try to incorporate some of what you said when I do.

An in-depth adventure mode is one of many, many features planned for Indie Brawl: Perfect World Edition. Meaning it would take a lot of work and will probably never get made.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »

why Sad . i know there still a lot of battle related stuff to do but don't think like that. you didn't even asked us to create adventure stages (for obvious reasons) so please don't think like that  Beg

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: June 20, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »

We can still make a fun single player mode. But making whole levels populated by enemies, bosses and creative obstacles (and making it fun) is a lot of work.

Look at SSBB. They had a huge budget to create a fun single-player mode, and the Subspace Emissary is pretty meh.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »

I think something along the lines of classic mode would work well enough.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »

They had a huge budget to create a fun single-player mode, and the Subspace Emissary is pretty meh.
Are you kidding me? That was an amazing one player mode (either that or I was so distracted by the story that it seemed so awesome).

Anyway, a Classic-ish mode should work.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »

i didn't understand what you meant with all what you said but hell. an Adventure mode will need a set of levels wich are not going to be added on the Battle mode. levels from Spelunky, Touhou, Fallover or Braid for example. that way we don't need a big cast of enemies or bosses, just the ones who appeared on their respective games. also they should shuffle randomly to make a diferent adventure every time (an example of this is "Castlevania Fighters" where you face a limitated ammount of bosses but they appear randomly. if you don't undesrtand what i mean go and play the game Smiley ).

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »

The thing is that this game is about the multiplayer, not the single player.  At the rate things get done around here, a full adventure mode would take a very long time for something that somebody would play a relatively short amount of times.  While it would be very cool to have a full adventure mode, it's just not on the list of priorities.  One thing big studios have the luxury of is that they can spend dis-proportionate amounts of effort on things which aren't as important.

Also, I loved the story for SSBB too.  Then again, allot of it's awesomeness was involved with lore that was set in place by previous SSBs and very known characters.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »

There are plenty of ways we can go about making an adventure mode, the most economical of which would probably be re-using assets we already have from other levels. However, now is not the time to worry about that, since we're still working on multi-player mode. Eyes on the prize, guys Tiger Eye of the tiger!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »

Poking around, I noticed a thread about defense systems; though I'm admittedly hesitant to bump it. One thing you might consider in that department is a slightly-looser alternative of a Parry/Just-Defend kind of move; with a +/- 4ms window. To give you an idea of the execution, that's equal to the timing window of a "Perfect" step on most Dance Dance Revolution games; and at 60fps, that would be about 3 frames either way - so you'd have 7 frames during which to make the input.

Messing around with Aces Wild made me think about combo-attacks, too - in that game you could cancel any attack with another so long as it successfully connects first. Using the same kind of system with said parrys/JDs (including re-executing another parry/JD) could make for some smooth-but-exciting gameplay, especially if a parried attack is then considered "unsuccessful," but still unable to restrike, unless intentionally multi-hit in design, like spin-attacks or double-slashes.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

I don't think three frames are too small. I don't play SF but from what I hear 1 frame links are like, the basics.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »

I don't think three frames are too small. I don't play SF but from what I hear 1 frame links are like, the basics.

Note: @ 60 FPS. SF-style games for the most part run around 40-45, IIRC; and even that has at least a 2-frame margin of error attached to it (precisely or closely equal, if you do the math). You're talking hardcore, Evolution-level pros here too, far beyond your average "core gamer."

Probably doesn't help that I don't know yet what optimal FPS IndieBrawl is designed with. Controlwise, perhaps as a response to "releasing Down" while still in a standing/non-crouching state? (Is there a frame/transition lag between pressing down, and entering the offical "crouch state?") It seems like "down something" is the normal for most characters' defensive/retaliation tactics, anyways.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic