Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:44:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE  (Read 90917 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »

Necro-Doublepost!

Yeah, I was just tinkering with the physics, and it's pretty good so far. Playing on a netbook @ 1078x600 res didn't let me see the all-important "bottom of the screen" however! Would it be trouble to suggest a setting that takes that res, and bases the bottom of the screen on that, instead of the top; or all else fails, a "safe" 800x600 mode?

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »

Oh hey sorry about my last post, I was kind of skimming over and I thought "Oh, a chance to be elitist" so I just did that automatically. I maintain that many many gamers are at that level of precision, but I also think that in execution just gets in the way of the real fun.

However I disagree with your "cancel into any attack but cancel any attack idea". That turns pretty much every hit into the same situation. Games draw depth from the amount of viable options in different situations. Your system would cut them number of permutations, of outcomes and scenarios in this game, down significantly.

I like the idea of actual comboability in this game, and I think some sort of "oh shit get me out of this combo NOW" move would be great- provided there is a risk to counter the potential reward and a limiter to how often it can be used (a meter of some sort). GG and BB, I hear, do this quite well.
Carefree games
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »

Hey. I like what you guys are doing here. Good work, keep motivated.

I would help out but I'm unadmirably ignorant when it comes to indie games other than my own. Maybe I can find something though... I'll look.
Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »

Is it me or should Indie Brawl totally have Anthony Carboni as a character?
With the ridiculous moves he always does as a transition.
Or he could be an item which would make you invincible or something, like the mario Start but then the Anthony Carboni thingy?
Or you could ask him to be the voice of a presentator who comments on the battle?
At first I laughed at this post, then I read the last line.

That could work. There are lots of talented voice people here (somewhere) though, and we'll have to see who can do it best.

(If we decide on having announcer stuff, but I really think we should have that!)

I was just thinking about that!  Cheesy I wonder what it would be like if Yahtzee was doing announcements Tongue. His commentary would also be genuinely amusing.
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »

I know your not doing AI Juuuust yet, but I came up with something for a personal project of mine that might help out.
Ima give you pseudo code/explanations rather then actual code, because I have no idea whatsoever what sort of syntax gamemaker uses or what limitations it has.
Basically, you start with a relatively simple state machine. This doesnt have to actually do anything (read, shouldnt do anything) other then keep track of what the player is currently doing.
Now, you have a set of two arrays per state (you want generic states, not complex ones, and you can ignore potential states where there is no appropriate ai reaction, or a relatively simple or character dependent reaction,)
the two arrays being: Generic - an array full of actions that can be taken by basically any character with about the same results, and Character Specific:This is stuff like special moves, as this bit is of AI is primarily focused on attacking.

So, then you basically use a random number to choose weather to take generic or character specific action, and ofcourse tweek the likely hood of doing one or the other action based on what character is being used (also, you may want a 3rd set of arrays for similar character actions, like projectiles and such, that not EVERYONE has but a fair bit of characters have.)
Then, to choose an action from the array, you use
array[random() * (some number, like a difficulty modifier or something * array.length)]
and do whatever that returns. The number needs to be between 0 and 1 for this to work, and lower numbers will = smarter enemy's for the most part, well higher numbers will be more random and lead to a total lack of pattern.

The next step, is the one that actually makes this code work.
After whatever action is taken, you return true or false, then
Code:
function aiSort(action):int
{if(action.true){return 1} else{return -1}
}
and lastly, be sure when the action has JUST finished, to fire up array.sort(aiSort)
what this does should be pretty apparent, but basically its a matter of 1.choose an action using a random array index favoring low numbers. 2. Execute the action 3.Sort the array so that a successful action moves towards the front (array index 0) and an unsuccessful action moves towards the back.
Effectively this gives you AI that learns through trial and error, and provided you save your more generic arrays between matches, will lead to the game getting progressively harder as you play, due to the AI learning how to fight against the players specific fighting style. You probably want the arrays to contain basically every remotely viable action (even some stupid ones, just in case) and start out sorted in a somewhat rational way, so that the enemys wont do dumb things like attack straight to the left well the player is directly above them before they have learned the correct response, but make sure too keep somewhere in the array the option to attack straight to the left when the player is directly above them, on the off chance that someone frequently jumps directly above the ai before landing to there left as a way of tricking it.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

That's a nice learning algorithm. I'll keep it in mind.

MHman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »

Firstly... WOW! Congratz guys! I’m glad someone decided to make a decent SSB kind of game, and best all, in a indie way! And it’s gonna be awesome from what I can see and have played!

Here are my humble suggestions for improving it based on experience (I made Multihero, the only 'decent' SSB inspired game on PC I presume? Indie brawl will be the best I’m sure when it’s done)

The first thing I noticed when playing the game was the lack of a ‘hit-stop-continue’ effect when an attack connected. Let me explain that better for those who don’t get it. Y’know in games like Final fight, street fighter, super smash bros, samurai shadow, killer instinct and many other games when your player lands a punch on the opponent and the punch animation holds still for a brief moment and then continues… that’s what I’m talking about!

That effect makes a HUGE difference on gameplay, I don’t know why, but it feels more like you landed the blow when that happens and you can distinguish it better as well during gameplay, it just feels right! Originally, before I released Multihero, it had none of that and it just felt a lot better when I added it, all my friends agreed, and it doesn’t take a genius to realize the best games use that from the old days to nowadays.

So there! Hope you consider it, I really want to see this game shine and it’s got everything going for it! I wish I could contribute more to this project but unfortunately life as it is for me right now and the project I got in my hands doesn’t leave me much free time. But anything I can do to help just ask! I certainly will if I can!

Oh! I made that up, ‘hit-stop-continue’ hehehe, someone please tell the name for that effect/technique if one exists!  Smiley

Cheers!
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »

Thanks for the kind words. Adding the sort of effect you describe should increase the feeling of power behind attacks, so I'll see if I can add it in.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

Yeah I agree with MHman that is what IB is missing, I think.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 04, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »

two things.
-1º: I found a bug. It's impossible to fan Liero's spikeballs anymore, and if you try to do it you get a Game Maker error message
for object liero_fan:

Error in code at line 4:
       if(other.throwing){

at position 15: Unknown variable throwing

for object liero_fan:

Error in code at line 4:
       if(other.throwing){

for object liero_fan:

Error in code at line 4:
       if(other.throwing){

for object liero_fan:

Error in code at line 4:
       if(other.throwing){

for object liero_fan:

Error in code at line 4:
       if(other.throwing){

-2º: I did this while I was boring

(yeah, they're pretty big ^^U)

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »

Good catch with the bug. It will be fixed in the next release.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »

and talking about new releases, don't you think it's a bit weird Naija's kick has more damage and knockback than her "Beast Charge"?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
eltantillo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »

Hello there, first of all, contratulations for this excelent game, as i can see, so far, its amazing.

I'm a gamemaker programer, and i wanna ask if someone is working on the AI? If you wanna check some of my work, here i have an fighting game with an AI Link This game is unfinished and still in progress, i have a lot to sprite, but im alone at it Sad

I wanna get a try at programming the AI for this game, i have improved since i programmed that one.

Well thats all, good luck with this project =D

Regards eltantillo.

ink.inc
« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »

As far as I know, no work has been done on the AI.

If you want to work on it, go for it! The source file is there in the download.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: January 10, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »

I'm a gamemaker programer, and i wanna ask if someone is working on the AI? If you wanna check some of my work, here i have an fighting game with an AI Link This game is unfinished and still in progress, i have a lot to sprite, but im alone at it Sad

I wanna get a try at programming the AI for this game, i have improved since i programmed that one.
Go for it! The source file comes with the main download.

I'd start with Nikujin, since he's a pretty straightforward character, and he's also 100% finished.

By the way, what are the controls for your game? I can't seem to get past the menu.

eltantillo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »

The controls are the arrow keys, and A for selection, currently only has been released with the vs option working. Ingame controls:
Arrow keys for movement
Q: Guard
W: Charge
A: Punch
S: Kick
D: Energy blast
Z: Special 1 ()
W+E: Transform
F5: Debug mode (Show debug information and collision boxes, ininite HP and energy)

Ok ill begin working with the AI, also if you are interested in anything from my game i can share the source code with you, and where should i post the progress i made?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: January 10, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »

It's a bit out of date, but you might want to take a look at this thread. It explains the basics of how the game's attacks work.

The code that is most relevant to you is probably in the Character's step event, and the action() and different step() scripts.

I wish I had time to lay out a more complete guide to how the engine is programmed, but instead, I'll just ask you to PM me if you have any questions. And keep me updated about how things are progressing.

Oh, and make sure you keep track of what parts of the code you changed so the changes can be integrated more easily.

djsz9
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »

Would it be ok if i tried to program Meat boy? I'm not sure if you guys want him in the game, but it said on the permission page that you have permission to use him.
The latest version is 0.1.11, right? If it's not, can someone please link the newer one to me.

Also, sorry for my bad English   Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic