Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:37:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Greenlight, Demo] Passengers - smalltalk on a surreal night train
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [Greenlight, Demo] Passengers - smalltalk on a surreal night train  (Read 13279 times)
orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 02:25:45 AM »

It's good to know this is making progress! Noir

jarnik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 03:08:40 AM »

It's going slowly, but there is some progress  Apoplectic

I got in touch with a skilled music & sound designer - http://soundcloud.com/earlstorms
He seems to like the project and agreed to join in.

The scriptwriter buddy has come up with a specific settings for all the 5 lines.

Meanwhile, I've scrapped most of the previous code, setting up a brand new gameplay structure and asset management.

Next step is to make some dummy content and start looking for an artist (I'll need around 200 characters and 60 backgrounds).

SPACR - Space Mechanic Adventures - food, friends, exploration
jarnik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38:52 AM »

I have found an artist, he is working on backgrounds right now.

The script is stuck at the moment, as our writer seems to be busy with other work.

In addition to a simple word catching, there are now 9 other modes: Charge, Flow, Invaders, Order, Sonar, Choose, Join, Path, Sync

[ WORD MODE DEMO - PLAY ONLINE ]

I've compiled a demo of these new gameplay modes. If you've got a minute, I'd be glad if you could try it out. The gameplay data are logged anonymously, so I'll have a basic idea of how it went. Nevertheless, please do not hesitate to comment on anything.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »

I tried a few, but I had a hard time understanding some of them...
Like, I don't know what to do with sync.
And with sonar, words can get stuck in eachother.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 07:21:17 AM »

I'm glad to see this is still in development!  Smiley

It's the content of these words and the act of understanding the stories told by the passengers that's most interesting to me. I don't think it necessarily needs to be difficult or gamey to collect the word fragments.

Generally, I didn't find the click+hold input method to be very intuitive. A number of these could be made more responsive/intuitive by dropping clicking and just using mouse movement/hovering. I'd probably also tweak the string splitting algorithm to make sure a period isn't in a substring by itself; it's a smaller target than the others.

Tap - most intuitive
Charge - took a bit of time to figure out I had to click and hold. just clicking on a word didn't give me any visual feedback I was on the right track. based on the name and previous mechanic, expected this to be mechanic of just hovering the mouse over a string.
Flow - had to both take in that the circle was the goal and that clicking and holding changed the motion of the strings. not very intuitive, particularly since some fragments can get caught by luck of the strings' starting velocity or random motion.
Invaders - again with the click and hold. unless you're planning on making it musical, matching the frequency of the shots to an external background beat, I'd suggest having the catchers fire immediately upon a mouse click. or keeping the extrinsic beat times, but buffering input such that clicking off-beat causes a shot to be fired on the next beat. Or dropping clicks altogether and just continually firing.
Order - I like this one. Promotes engagement with the text.
Sonar - this got confusing. clicking on strings made them flash once, felt like positive reinforcement. gets really confusing if you clump up the strings, causing them to ping at different rates simultaneously. also feels like a lot of work/effort for every single string compared to the other methods. might be streamlined a bit by having a single catcher per round, maybe made visible when it catches the first string in that round.
Choose - funny
Join - I like this one. a bit finicky to actually join the substrings. seems like the sonar one where the dragging mechanics are overeager to drag multiple substrings at once.
Path - invisible paths? really now? I thought at first the goal was to get the two words to meet, which was almost supported by paths that nearly met. seems a bit easy to lose dragging focus if you're moving at the wrong speed.
Sync eh. difficulty determined by the random number generation, involves a lot of mouse movement.

jarnik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »

I tried a few, but I had a hard time understanding some of them...
Like, I don't know what to do with sync.
And with sonar, words can get stuck in eachother.

I'd like the solution to be a part of the challenge (not just completing the task, but discovering how each mode works). I realize there are no clues about the solution now, that's why I'm releasing this demo to get feedback on which modes need thorough explanation (through visual aids) and which need not to be explained.

Sync - upon clicking, word lightens up, then fades. Each word fades with a different speed. The goal is to get all the word parts lit up to the maximum at the same time.

Sonar - true, they can get stuck. It should be possible the separate them by carefully dragging their corners. I'll think of a workaround in case it got too annoying.

Generally, I didn't find the click+hold input method to be very intuitive. A number of these could be made more responsive/intuitive by dropping clicking and just using mouse movement/hovering. I'd probably also tweak the string splitting algorithm to make sure a period isn't in a substring by itself; it's a smaller target than the others.
Great, great feedback! Thanks a lot!
The game is meant primarily for touch screen devices (that have no hovers), so it's kinda clumsy when controlled by a mouse. Dropping clicks is a good idea, I'll think about making the input methods more unified.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »

Wow, I love the current demo. So atmospheric!

Only one thing bothers me: Having to redo the words of people who got out and enter again. The mankind-thing made no sense to me, so I at station 3 had to listen to the same 5 people about 4 to 5 times...

Oh, and the sound effect for "appearing word" kinda breaks the atmosphere.

edit:
It just crashed for me, second time it happened. I answered a question right, and it's just frozen like this: http://puu.sh/152qr
(I enabled your debug output, because I thought it might help you.)

Last time it happened after I answered a question wrong and everybody left.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:48:31 AM by TobiasW » Logged

jarnik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »

We're alive again Smiley

During the summer of 2012, I've been struggling to move the development further, but eventually I've dropped for the lack of inspiration.

In February 2013, two friends from http://pleasewait.cz/ approached me with a proposal to work on the Passengers together. They are skilled screenwriters (having a visual novell background), therefore they volunteered to write all the dialogues and create a consistent meaning for the game.

In April 2013, a skilled composer approached me (thanks to 1GAM) and now we have a full 5-track original piano soundtrack.

In May 2013, we've got a skilled artist to draw backgrounds and detailed graphics.

We've decided to decrease the scope - the game will have 5 chapters with total playthrough time around 30 minutes. There will be 5 environments and 60 passenger characters.
Most of the characters contributed by YOU will be included.
Most of the word-catching modes (see the latest demo) will be also used.

We're still aiming for the PC and Android, hoping to finish a polished version at the end of the summer of 2013.

Temporary title screen:

Wish us luck  Gentleman

eatacay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »

lol.  Good luck!
I'd love for this to be finished, and keep checking back up on it every now and then.
jarnik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2016, 01:02:43 AM »

Attention! Train approaching the station!

I mean, we're back from the dead  Smiley

Design & writing: http://pleasewait.cz/
Art: http://www.janakilianova.com/
Music: https://soundcloud.com/eatacay
Programming & character art: http://www.jarnik.com/

In May, Emil from Please Wait has presented the game on the local Game Access event, getting some pretty positive feedback.
This convinced me to finish the project. I've switched to Unity, rewriting the game from scratch in two weeks.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:33:55 AM by jarnik » Logged

jarnik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 12:12:41 PM »

After 5 years and many of life's crossroads, Passengers are in alpha and heading to Steam Greenlight!  Grin Smiley Smiley

Help us push the train forward with your thumbs up!
Vote for Passengers on >> Steam Greenlight <<

Gameplay trailer:

Demo: http://www.passengersgame.com/PassengersDemoSetup.exe

Live action trailer:

Observe a strange small train on its journey through bizarre worlds, carrying even more bizarre passengers. Each passenger has a story to share and is able to provide answers to driver's random questions. Will you be able to deduce which passenger holds the right answer?

• Moody stylized pixel art
  • Thoughtful word puzzles
  • Peculiar story of getting from question to answer
  • 120+ curious characters
  • Guess archetype, help the driver

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic