Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:22:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLove Machine
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Love Machine  (Read 8848 times)
Valmond
Level 0

Permadeath or not permadeath...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 07:24:49 AM »

Soo nice Kiss !
I want those graphics for My game! Ninja

www.imbroglio-online.com My online multiplayer Rogue-like-like and my DevBlog!
Manuel777
Level 0

Indie rocks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »

I am reeeaaally looking forwardto this one Loren, keep up good work! :D

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

Those objects are soo bright compared to the level tiles.. Have you tried making them a more similar brightness range?
Ant
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »

Loving the feel of this spriting. Hand Thumbs Up Right
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »

Ah cool, glad to see you've got a public DevLog for this now! I was super pumped by this when you showed me at GDC Smiley YAY now I can stalk your progress.

Good luck with the IGF!
Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »

This looks absolutely darling!

Adorable pixels and perfect palette, both
for the mood and for highlighting action.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for this
one for sure!

P.S.
Whoever mentioned the Dungeons of Dremor-
no, no and no again, I don't want to see
those retarded brow-planks nailed to the
character's face. It was the single most
despicable thing I have ever seen in any
character design.

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
impulse9
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »

Great art!!!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

Looking really awesome.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »

I am so excited about this. I'm currently adding outdoor environments to the game.

Since the very beginning of the project, I've wanted to include both underground levels and outdoor levels. Until now, though, I've only had the underground parts implemented. It should vary the tactics in a good way, as these outdoor areas will be quite open and have more uninterrupted lines of sight. This is a mockup. I still have a bunch of improvements to make and a lot of programming to do before I can get these into the game.

I have been drawing this tileset for two days. I am probably going to see grass blades when I go to sleep.

If anyone is wondering about the details, the actual tiles as they will appear on the tilesheet are along the bottom. For grass, I'm using two color Wang tiles. That means each of a tile's four edges is either dark grass or light grass. There are 16 possible combinations, and all of those have to be hand illustrated. I will then be able to procedurally fit these together into grass patches within the level generator.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »

This looks incredible! I love the graphics. Can't wait to see some gameplay videos.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »

eee, I am excited. Love the new tiles, and it looks like it's progressed wonderfully since last I saw it.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »

Thanks folks. I'm currently putting together a trailer, I'll definitely post that here when I'm done.

@Xion: I bet your game has made leaps and bounds too- I'd love to see how it's doing lately.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 11:04:46 PM »

This looks so good!  Love the name you've chosen, too.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Uykered
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »

Ya, looks cool.
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »

Oh my god. This is awesome. No, this IS FACKING AWESOME! I fell in love with this project and I'm waiting for final version.

matriax
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »

At the moment looks great, love the crazy palettes Tongue

Will be great some gameplay videos to see this in action, or atleast a short vine videos to see some features Wink
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »

Dear human beings,
I am officially taking this game out of hibernation. I've been busy with a few other projects over the past year, including working on Realistic Kissing Simulator and doing a stint at a local game studio to help pay the bills. I'm pleased to say that I'm busily adding to and improving the game once again. I'll be posting regular updates here, as well as on my website. If you want more nitty-gritty details about making the game, including screen shots and vines of this and my other current projects, you might want to follow @LorenSchmidt on twitter.

Recently I've been improving the health system in the game. I'm shifting away from the old system, which used an innate healing ability similar to the classic roguelike "retreat and rest" approach (we could heal at any time as long as no monsters interrupted the spell by coming too close).

In the new health system, health is a limited resource. There's no longer an innate healing ability. Instead, healing items (hearts) are occasionally found in the dungeon (at a not overly generous rate). I find this system favors more tactical play; how well we do in any engagement actually has a lasting effect. It also connects health to other systems in the game in a way which I like.

The game is smart about when to drop health. The chance a given monster or container will drop a heart increases as we become more wounded. This creates an interesting secondary effect. Now we have to choose: do I break this container now, when I have high health (and get money) or do I save it for later in the hope that it will give me health?

Hearts are also available in vending machines, but they're expensive! It's almost always better to not get hurt in the first place, then we can spend our hard-earned money on equipment and upgrades instead.

There are also creepy vending machines which let us trade health for money.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »

Hooray -- so excited to hear this is back on!  This is one of my favorite things.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

Hmm, limited health sounds a lot more tense and stressful, which could be nice in a game like this. Good looking game, and I like the thought of real-time tactical combat. Following!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »

SolarLune- I am aiming for something with fairly fast paced, tactile combat and the tactical variation of a turn based roguelike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic