Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:19:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeOpen RPG game ruleset?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Open RPG game ruleset?  (Read 8222 times)
nitefox1337
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 08:07:35 AM »

I like the motivation behind the CoresysX system, but what I really would like to see is a more abstract set of rules. A set of rules that is not based on classic RPGs and their content, but on math/probabilities/game theory and exciting game mechanics. A ruleset that does not contain any specific abilities (like dexerity), but a tested/proven set of abstract components you can use to compose your very own rulebook.

That is exactly what coresysx does. They give you pre-made quality sets not to alienate classic rpg players. (like strength or dexterity).

But you can remove those sets, and create your own, and customize any talent set you want.

http://www.coresysx.com/2012/01/abilities-talents-qualities.html

(check custom qualities).

There are no forced pre-made abilities in CoresysX.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »

They should not bury the concepts so deep under premade stuff. I think Eric's link "RPG design patterns" is more what I've had in mind.
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 11:17:42 PM »

IMO, sounds like you're describing a Roguelike to me.  Perhaps have a look into some rougelike games? 

There are many RLs with the tile based detailed interaction simulations, even down to hunger -- or tiredness, not to mention standard things like weapon speed, movement costs, etc.

Bonus: Many roguelikes are open source, so just snag one and add 2D or 3D graphics, away you go.

Checkout RogueBasin.

nitefox1337
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »

I would recommend just to inspire in RPGs and build your own system then. Most table top RPGs have systems rooted in fiction which might be an issue for videogame.

Here is quite decent study of RPG design patterns: http://folk.uio.no/gahegsvo/rpg/resources/design/RPG_Design_Patterns_9_26_05.pdf

Might be useful to other game designers too.

Excellent study btw. The follow up should be a comparison between the complexity of most tabletop rpgs systems with pc rpg systems.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »

Thanks, bluej, though link doesn't seem to work. Not a huge fan of D&D though... while it's done well, I think most modern systems have surpassed it.

I would recommend just to inspire in RPGs and build your own system then. Most table top RPGs have systems rooted in fiction which might be an issue for videogame.

Here is quite decent study of RPG design patterns: http://folk.uio.no/gahegsvo/rpg/resources/design/RPG_Design_Patterns_9_26_05.pdf

Might be useful to other game designers too.

Wow, looks like a long, yet concise outline. I'm in love with the technical systems prose already Tongue Apparently there's a wiki too: http://rpg-design-patterns.speedykitty.com/doku.php/table_of_contents

Maybe I'll try and build an open source system later, first thing to do if I ever get back into game making Smiley

IMO, sounds like you're describing a Roguelike to me.  Perhaps have a look into some rougelike games? 

There are many RLs with the tile based detailed interaction simulations, even down to hunger -- or tiredness, not to mention standard things like weapon speed, movement costs, etc.

I don't think most of them really have the systems out in the open and need a bit of digging in to find. There are a few RLs with good systems to copy - Unreal World, Dwarf Fortress, URW, IVAN. But roguelikes are a great idea because they're almost purely prototypes with constantly added features, and one can easily see how well they work together.

I wonder if there's a RL where you can just swap in and out game mechanics to see how they do.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic