Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:25:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudiolearning how to arrange music, please give advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: learning how to arrange music, please give advice  (Read 1704 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »

my father (who is a music composer in the classical style but has never used a computer) wrote some songs for my game back in 2007/2008, and only in the last month did i actually start typing up the sheet music into the computer and trying to select instruments and arrange/orchestrate them

i have some basic music knowledge (i can read sheet music, for instance, and can play the piano a bit) but never really spent much time arranging music before, so i've been trying to pick it up as i go

i may just give up and get someone else to arrange the music, but i wanted to at least try my hand at it

here's my current efforts, for you audio masters out there please give advice for where i went wrong and where i can improve on these arrangements: http://soundcloud.com/saturateddreamers

i used musescore for this (notation software, open source), along with a free soundfont i found online which was better than the musescore default soundfont. i don't own arrangement software such as fl studio, or else i'd use something like that

i realize that arrangement is an art in itself and can't really be learned so quickly, but i figured posting this here couldn't hurt and maybe it'd get some advice that would improve these arrangements

JWK5
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

How to Create Cool Music for Videogames: It is a manual for PXTone that has some nice examples for arranging music.

On melody creation:
A Good Melody Contour
12 General Tips for Composing a Melody

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »

i don't need to create melodies, since i'm just arranging, not composing, but i'll check out the first of those links

ShuffleBitSound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »

The biggest issue that I would take up with the recordings that you've already presented on the soundcloud page is instrument quality.

The arrangements themselves actual show what is usually true about arranging: it's intuitive.  People don't have to be taught about arrangement to get something basic out of the door.

Another issue here is mixing.  The bass is too recessed in most of the tracks, for example.  The instruments that take care of the bass (like the piano in Venus Theme) are okay as bass instruments if they are mixed properly.

But your focus should most likely be on getting better instruments to handle these parts.  The MIDI sound of the current set you're working with plants the whole collection solidly in 1995.  And kudos to your dad...sounds like a fun collaboration.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »

hmm, yeah -- that was also the impression of people in irc, that the main problem was instrument quality. i think the issue with that is that i've been using musescore, which uses only soundfonts, and doesn't allow you to use samples from instruments individually or mix different soundfonts or anything, so everything made in it sounds a bit midi-like (it can be above midi-quality, but it's not the quality you'd get from something like fl studio)

so, can anyone suggest free programs that allow you to produce things that don't sound like midi? i tried using LMMS, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to produce any sound at all, and it crashed my computer (hard crash, blue screen) after a few attempts at getting it to produce sound

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »

so, can anyone suggest free programs that allow you to produce things that don't sound like midi? i tried using LMMS, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to produce any sound at all, and it crashed my computer (hard crash, blue screen) after a few attempts at getting it to produce sound

Well when talking about these sort of orchestral sounds, I am pretty sure that if you actually want good quality instruments, you need to pay for those. And nowadays, most of the (software) music is made with VST instruments. I am not sure if soundfonts are largely used anymore, but it is pain to find good quality such. Not to talk about free options. In my 10 years of trying I once found good quality flute sf for free.

Then with VST's you will need a sequencer or 'digital audio workstation', those that come with ability to use notation sheets do also pay some money. You can find free sequencers, but they obviously lack features or are completely different ball game like 'trackers' for example. But the arrangement software is usually much cheaper than the actual quality orchestral VST collection.

I never heard LMMS, and its Wikipedia page seems to list some alternative music software which you can check out.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:53 AM »

goog from irc recommended modplug tracker as a good free program that can work with vst instruments -- maybe i'll try that, my uniformed impression of modplug was that that program was mainly for chiptune formats like .mod, .it, .xm, rather than for creating wav/mp3/ogg, i didn't know it could also be used for arranging traditional/classical sounding music

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »

goog from irc recommended modplug tracker as a good free program that can work with vst instruments -- maybe i'll try that, my uniformed impression of modplug was that that program was mainly for chiptune formats like .mod, .it, .xm, rather than for creating wav/mp3/ogg, i didn't know it could also be used for arranging traditional/classical sounding music

Sure you can do anything with trackers, not just chiptune. But trackers have way different interface on how they deal with notes. But then again, if you don't have any previous software music experience tracker is not any harder or "wrong" than other options. I never used MODPlug, so I can't say if it supports VST's or midi. I use Jeskola Buzz tracker which supports both and is free, but it *can* be pain to get up and running in modern computers.

ShuffleBitSound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »

If all that you have from your father is the sheet music, the transcription process into MODplug will be nothing short of daunting/catastophic.  You've been warned.

The sad answer to instrument quality almost always involves a dollar sign.  If you have a Mac, GarageBand has some worthy instruments.  If you have a PC, then it may be worth getting FL.  Actually, I would fully support you getting FL.  You can get within striking distance of good sounds and clean easy interface with >$100.  This is well worth the wrestling you will do with trackers in the meantime, and will produce a sound 10x better (for the genre you're shooting for).

Other options include Logic ($$$$$), Reason (that's what I use), and Ableton.  Both Ableton and Reason have $100 dollar packages.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »

i've already turned the sheet music into midi using musescore -- presumably modplug can import midi at least?

but i may just save up for something like FL studio, yeah.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

Another nice piece of software is Reaper. For personal/small business use, it's only $60, and from my experience with it, it's a very sleek and easy-to-use piece of software. It works kind of similarly to FL Studio. The demo doesn't have any restrictions on it, so it might be worth giving a try before you shell out the full price of FL Studio.
HDSanctum
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »

Before you put the money down on FL studio, I think you might be able to get away with going free-- not that I think spending money is a waste as I went ahead and bought FL studio signature bundle a little while back. FYI, there are demo's avaiable for most music software including FL studio, so you can try before you buy.

I think a possible quick fix with your music could be in the mastering stage: adding reverb, tweaking the EQ and panning (or using a phase shifter). You can also try using synths instead/inconjunction with the soundfonts. You could also 'humanize' the notes (varying input velocities and slightly fudging some note timing, etc), overdoing this can sound bad though.

If you can find a free daw/plugin host then you are halfway there. I was going to try recommending one, but the ones I tried this morning were not that great. Kvr is a great place to check for plugins and such, search for plugins, effects forum, instruments forum.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic