Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025727 Posts in 41105 Topics- by 32711 Members - Latest Member: kerrybowden

July 23, 2014, 01:52:05 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsBasis - 2d Skeletal Animation Tool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Basis - 2d Skeletal Animation Tool  (Read 6830 times)
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »

I'll look forward to the finished thing when it's out then. ^_^

I'm working in HTML5 for the foreseeable future, I could really see bone-based 2D animation being helpful, with the limited toolkit that Canvas offers -- it could be a big saving in bandwidth and resources over sprite sheets.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »

So, after my initial excitement of getting IK working and some days more work, adding other features blew it up from 30-some to over 500 LoC. And that was after using a 3rd different algorithm, 2 structural redesigns, and lots of R&D.

I also made the bones prettier. They are implicit, since everything is called a "pin" in this software, and eventually there will be other types of connections between pins besides straightforward bones (which are skinable btw). Visualization of bones will probably end up customizable as well (triangle, diamond, or plain line).

Anyway, check it out!

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »

Looks awesome!  I'm guessing there's a meaning behind each stick having a fat end and a pointy end?

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »

Looks awesome!  I'm guessing there's a meaning behind each stick having a fat end and a pointy end?
Simply shows parent/child relationship. The arrow points to the child. It matters less with the IK solution, where any pin(s) can be locked and any pin can be moved.

It matters more with Forward Kinematics (IK off) where bone parenting really comes into play when setting a pose for your entity. In this case children always rotate around the parent.

ZeroExEffEff
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »

Can you (or will you be able to) make spritesheets with it?
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »

Exporting sprite sheets is planned.  Wink

yuotta
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »

What are you developing this program with? What language, what software?
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

What are you developing this program with? What language, what software?
It's just C++ Smiley

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »

Finally! We're in full motion on this thing, after over 2 years of development, and a couple other developers starting and releasing similar products in that period of time. However, I think there are still some unsolved problems which we shall address.

Also, it has been renamed "Basis" for Bone and Sprite Integration System. I have a lofty goal of knocking out a major feature per night for the next 7 nights prior to our imminent first real public release.

Night 1:

(notice the automatic detection of textures on this next one?)

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »

Render to sprite (export)
So, is there anything missing here someone will be sad about? Comments in general?

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »

For sprite sheet export, what kind of file name wildcards do people want? Currently have, depending on context:
<animname>
<animnumber>
<sheetnumber>
<framenumber>

What else will be important to you all, if anything?

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »

I have a lofty goal of knocking out a major feature per night for the next 7 nights prior to our imminent first real public release.

So, 17 days later (I know!), naive lofty goals aside, here are a couple of the latest additions Smiley This is really exciting!

This actually shows 2 very major features: animated OBB collision types, and per-frame events triggering (events can be anything you make them)

And these show, using a totally differently tuned workflow, animated AABB collision types for those who prefer a more traditional sprite based environment.

A new bone type - "attach bone". Used to, you know, attach things. They function quite differently from a normal bone in the editor. They are not a simple "bone parent" either because they can be used for many other purposes than that.

Oh yeah, also, z order is animated, but there is no gif animation for that yet. That was a huge thing to get in there, and we're still crushing the bugs that resulted from that, though it seems quite stable by now.

It feels so good to be making some tangible progress after developing for so long!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:22:13 AM by achild » Logged

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »

Someone is sponsoring the integration of Basis into their game/multimedia creation software of choice. Previously mentioned software is not particularly known outside of the UK and Amiga scenes... so it will be nice to give it some love anyway!

How EXCITING! I'm surprised how exciting an email such as that can be!

Grin

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »

This is looking great! Is there any release planned?

Yeah.
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »

This is looking great! Is there any release planned?
Yes. Soon. For free.

However, I think we will have to attempt to raise some (kickstarter?) money in order to continue working at the pace we have been the last couple months. Without that it is going to have to become a side project that gets worked on once or twice a week.

Either way, we definitely want it to stay free.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic