Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:57:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrea
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Crea  (Read 32244 times)
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »

Thanks guys. Our artist is quite pleased with the response Crea's visuals are getting. Only if my code could be as seductive...

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »

Got some exciting news! Robot Science is going to be doing the soundtrack for Crea. If you have never listened to Robot Science before then start now. http://robotscience.bandcamp.com/

Awesome music to listen to while doing game dev.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »

Thanks guys. Our artist is quite pleased with the response Crea's visuals are getting. Only if my code could be as seductive...

I FEEL YOU.

i dig robot science. hope e does a good job.

looking forward to CREAting stuff via this game (see what i did there)

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »

More visual goodness!

The mockup has been improved a decent amount. You can see it in the OP. The house is now much more interesting and there is an awesome looking samurai fighting a Tigerfly.

Additionally, I thought I would share some concept art that was done for our Kickstarter that will be launching soon. Enjoy!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 12:27:31 AM »

Meme will describe my thoughts of this game.

Really cool, though, why not LUA?  Smiley
It seems to be easier to embed (?).

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »

Meme will describe my thoughts of this game.

Really cool, though, why not LUA?  Smiley
It seems to be easier to embed (?).

I did consider Lua at the start of the project but I decided to go with Python for several reasons.
  • I was familiar with it.
  • Two of the libraries I was using had python bindings for them already.
  • I was already using the Boost library so using Boost.Python to help create bindings.
  • Python is more widely used and consequently has better documentation.
  • Python has a much larger library.

I am probably forgetting one or two reasons but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. Still, Lua is a completely viable language to use. Python just made more sense to me.

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:38 AM »

If the lama doesnt feature Im not playing No No NO

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »

Looks interesting! Llamas are great.  Waaagh!

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 11:53:14 PM »

I'm following while waiting to see the kickstarter page.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

If the lama doesnt feature Im not playing No No NO

Looks interesting! Llamas are great.  Waaagh!

Don't worry about there being any shortage of llamas in Crea.

I'm following while waiting to see the kickstarter page.

Awesome. Coming soon. Smiley

Quick Development Update:
I have been cleaning up so many bugs and trying to get things presentable for the gameplay that will be in our Kickstarter video.

One thing I did was optimized the tile rendering and while at it I added in tile blending. It is pretty cool because it automatically blends with any other tile and works off of tile priorities that are set in the tile scripts. Here is a cropped screenshot of it in action with dirt having a higher priority than stone.

offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:44 AM »

Wow! Externally very similar to the Starbound!
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »

Awesome news! Our Kickstarter is now live.

Any support is greatly appreciated. Beyond backing the project, we could really use the help in spreading the word about Crea.

Thanks for the support everyone. Definitely a huge motivator! :D

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

We had a great first two days for our Kickstarter. Thanks to anyone that backed the project! If you haven't gotten a chance to check out our Kickstarter yet be sure to do so. :D

Onto the meat of the post, our UI technician is playing around with a few different ideas for the style of the UI. I was hoping to get your guys' honest opinions on his latest version. Here is a mockup of it. Oh and don't mind the misspelling of "Flaming" Tongue

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks! Smiley

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:27:27 AM by jmcmorris » Logged

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »

Yesterday I wrote up a blog post about character progression in Crea since I have had people ask about it. It doesn't seem like people chat here much about design but I thought I'd still share it.

Character Progression
Want some details on the “RPG elements” that will be included in Crea? You got it!

One of our major focuses for Crea is adding in character progression and a sense of personal attachment to characters. There are several aspects to character progression – this post is about character leveling.

Characters will have a set of the usual stats: HP, AP (Action Points), Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, Magic Defense, Agility and Dexterity.

Additionally, characters have “proficiencies.” These are skill levels in four different areas: fighting, crafting, exploring, and gathering. Each proficiency has its own experience level and experience points. So, craft items to gain proficiency in crafting. Pick mushrooms and other plants to gain proficiency in gathering, and so on.

As a proficiency levels up the character will unlock new skills. Once a skill is unlocked the character is able to allocate experience from that proficiency to their new skill. Some skills are passive, and always in effect. Subsequent levels in a skill will raise its efficacy.

As usual, all of this is going to be easily moddable. Want to add a “cooking” proficiency? New “Triple Jump” skill for the exploration proficiency? Not a problem! Are there any proficiencies you’d like to see us add to Crea?

Be sure to subscribe to the blog to get the latest updates and details on Crea!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:27:43 PM by jmcmorris » Logged

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »

I put together a little video yesterday showing just how easy it is to mod Crea. Feedback would be appreciated!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »

Hey dude, I'm still following the progress of this, good luck with the Kickstarter thingo. I was wondering, did u write your own gui code?

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 07:47:15 AM »

Thanks eigenbom. I am using the librocket ui library. It works well for us because the guy doing the UI for Crea is a web designer and librocket using a markup language similar to html and css. If I were to start over though I would probably go with Awesomeium since it is still being updated. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »

D'oh, you already told me that, I just forgot. But cool, thx!

And so, the item selection is all just html5, css, and js? Even the border image?

And do you have drag and drop? If so, was that just supported by librocket or is some js library?

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »

Haha, I was just writing a comment in your moonman thread. - Goes and finishes... and back.

Yeah, I thought I had told you before but no worries. Yeah it is in html4 and css. No html5 and js support sadly. The rocket css files (RCSS) allow for decorators, which is what is being used for the border image. I'm even having the librocket render the item icons.

If you're interested you can read about decorators along with other features of RCSS here. http://librocket.com/wiki/documentation/RCSS

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

Oh I see, cool. Smiley

I actually looked at Awesomium, but I can't remember why I didn't choose to use it. Probably just some random criticism I read on the net. :S Still, I'd like to be able to do the menus, options, chat box, etc., easily, and I think awesomium or whatever might be good for that. I'll have to profile it though, I've seen other gui libs consume up to 25% CPU. :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic