Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:14:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 139327 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »

hai

Today I did some more implementing of other area thingies. And some other things. I can't tell you what these things are because that would be absolutely no fun.

I also made an "alpha" release to some real-life friends (sorry interwebz), containing the dungeons. Out of the 6, one has found a number of quick fixes so far which are nice to know about. Woo-hoo for friendship. Nothing horrible has happened, which makes me pretty happy with the codebase...

That's about it for now. I can taste freedom from the game. But what's on the other side after finishing? Well, hopefully a number of happy and inspired people and some other nice things, but also an empty void that can only be filled by starting another game. And so the vicious cycle continues, an endless fight against a hole that refuses to be filled.

yeah fuck

---

do YOU know anyone who writes for giantbomb, destructoid or kotaku? then you should totally drop them a line and friendly-ly ask them to check out our demo.

i would be indebted to you.

so much that if we ever met in real life, I would take you out to an awkward dinner at a mcdonalds, where you may buy any extra value meal you desire.

PONDER THAT ONE OVER.

play hydlide 2
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »

I've been playing the demo of this game a little bit here and there, and have to say that I've enjoyed it immensely! Still haven't gotten very far, but the stuff I've seen to this point is top notch  Grin

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »

I've been playing the demo of this game a little bit here and there, and have to say that I've enjoyed it immensely! Still haven't gotten very far, but the stuff I've seen to this point is top notch  Grin

thanks dude!

yeah so today I worked a bit on finishing up another song. I'm reaaaaaaally close to finishing. The soundtrack will probably hit an hour, and I think I'll add in the outtakes as a bonus thing! 

my buddy etan has been playing through the dungeons and found a lot of bugs, which I've since fixed. Some of them were sort of big so I'm glad they're out of the way!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Well, progress. I think we have all our story sorted out now so there aren't many unknowns.

No screenies yet but some new music.

Fixing a lot of bugs that my friend is finding.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »

Yeah so that presentation is on Saturday. It should be pretty fun. I kind of want to record it, but maybe I'll just do another presentation via some sort of recorded screencast?

My talk is

-Super basic intro on games for those who are totally clueless
-Basic explanation of the game
-Playthrough some intro areas and then explain aesthetic choices, our intended feels...
-Discuss design of the tutorial dungeon
-Talk about our TOOLZ

----

Other than that, just fixing bugs, making little bits of progress on remaining songs, doin' stuff for the IGFs (Student and Main!)

play hydlide 2
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:03 AM »

Hey

You're giving a talk? Cool, where?

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »

Hey

You're giving a talk? Cool, where?

My school's arts center. They were looking for student submissions so i was like "oh what the hell" so they said "sure here's an hour timeslot" and put me in the program. I convinced a few friends to show up but I'm curious as to how many otehrs will pop up.

-----

other than that, IGF deadline next wednesday, although we will also do the student one, too.

I also have a lot of homework due next friday, so this week should be nothing short of chaotic. blah. thank god i'm graduating this year

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »

Apparently my phone can record decent 1 hour videos so I think I'll upload the talk plus my slides tomorrow.

Dom2D put us in the visual map, which was nice of him.

http://venuspatrol.com/2012/10/tigsource-devlog-dom2ds-visual-showcase-of-awesome-new-games-issue-2/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tigsource-devlog-dom2ds-visual-showcase-of-awesome-new-games-issue-2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »

talk was good. better turnout than expected (15, vs. just 1). I'll have a video up in a bit. then you can all see me. and hear me. kind of weird, BUT I'M OVER IT.

here's a song for the cliff area

http://soundcloud.com/seagaia/anodyne-ost-cliff

here are some screenies, thanks to jon.

play hydlide 2
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

I tried out the demo, got past the first boss and then couldn't figure out what to do.  Is that all that's in the demo so far?

Anyway, it was decent enough for a Zelda clone.  Nothing that really blew my mind, but then, Zelda games were always about rehashing the same stuff over and over .. D:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:10:21 PM by Udderdude » Logged
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

I tried out the demo, got past the first boss and then couldn't figure out what to do.  Is that all that's in the demo so far?

Anyway, it was decent enough for a Zelda clone.  Nothing that really blew my mind, but then, Zelda games were always about rehashing the same stuff over and over .. D:

That's all that's in the demo. A lot more is done, and the final demo (parallel release with the game) will have a little bit more so you can get a sense of the rest of the game (the first parts do feel quite a bit Zelda-clone-y - moreso than the other areas - , but all that really matters is that it feels decent enough that people will play a little bit further).

I don't particularly find my game mechanics mind-blowing, either - to be honest I find them "good enough" - to try to do such a thing seemed like to big of a challenge to do for my second game (especially in a game of the scale of this one). I'd like to try more exciting mechanics in the future, of course!  

I find myself most proud of the aesthetics, though (I'll have a talk up on that in a bit)

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »

You can watch a talk I gave earlier today on Anodyne

I talk a bit about how we picked the aesthetics, sort of the vision for the game, some basic game design, how we make it..etc.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »

Here's a link to the slides from the talk....

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B68OFl1QbWy_Y0FnU01FcDlYVnc

play hydlide 2
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »

Cool stuff.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »

did some level design today...some easter eggs too. heh ehehh eh heh ehe h

also wrote a sort of demented energetic song for some purpose thati want to show you but i can't........soryry

play hydlide 2
knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »

Nice map!  I'm tempted to follow down that tree path a bit left of center to that dead end to see if there are any hidden items there (a la Final Fantasy 4).

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2012, 07:22:57 AM »

Nice map!  I'm tempted to follow down that tree path a bit left of center to that dead end to see if there are any hidden items there (a la Final Fantasy 4).

that would be neat!

play hydlide 2
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »

Yeah; given how long it is, I would almost expect some kind of goodie to be at the end somewhere.

This game's got some pretty great art.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »

Yeah; given how long it is, I would almost expect some kind of goodie to be at the end somewhere.

This game's got some pretty great art.

JON CHannels his thanksy our way for the art compliment!

-----

anodyne has been entered into the IGF for the hell of it because I worked for enough moneys.

the student deadlnie is in 2 weeks and we plan to enter that, too.

yeah.

play hydlide 2
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »

Yeah cool! Good luck!

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34
Print
Jump to: