Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:26:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 139357 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »

I only just downloaded the game after watching the trailer. The aesthetics are impeccable. Nice work sir  My Word!

thank you! I'm glad you like the aesthetics.

I enjoyed the demo so much that I painted some fan art, here:

--AWESOME painting--

yeah! really awesome - do you have a twitter? or a site for your game??

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it. No site, but go ahead and use it for whatever you want.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:49:10 AM by AD1337 » Logged

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it. No site, but go ahead and use it for whatever you want.

oh shoot, I didn't realize I posted the wrong link. sent the right one, thanks for letting me know.

play hydlide 2
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

Great demo! I liked the fact that it felt like the first zelda game, but at the same time it was an entirely different adventure to partake in. I also feel however that the protagonists animation right now are this games weakness. The animations are pretty bad actually, even for just 4 frames. And I think they should be improved as much as possible, because you will be looking at them the entire game. If you need any pointers feel free to  hit me up.
spolvid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »

I saw you show this at Indie City Games! Really dig the demo, I love this style of game.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2012, 06:33:29 PM »

this is looking pretty swell, keep it up dude

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

thanks you guys.

i've been various "linking" of areas in the game through level creation and various fixes, for the student IGF. excitin'.

Great demo! I liked the fact that it felt like the first zelda game, but at the same time it was an entirely different adventure to partake in. I also feel however that the protagonists animation right now are this games weakness. The animations are pretty bad actually, even for just 4 frames. And I think they should be improved as much as possible, because you will be looking at them the entire game. If you need any pointers feel free to  hit me up.

thank you. Each walk direction will remain at 2 frames. what exactly strikes you as bad about the animations?

play hydlide 2
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »

i like the demo, but HOW THE HECK DO I KILL THE MASK  Cry Cry Tired

whenever i try... i just get  WTF ed

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »

thank you. Each walk direction will remain at 2 frames. what exactly strikes you as bad about the animations?

I must have sounded harsh. I didn't really mean bad, but the rest just looked better.
I feel that the side view looked like a completely different character. And the walking looked very static and choppy, even for just 2 frames of animation.

Here's a little edit I did. I hope it helps.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

today is a blue day

i worked more on that rainy part, addded some things...they're secrets, though

also did stuff with other stuff

specific right?

and made a news updat eat indiedb

http://www.indiedb.com/games/anodyne/news/anodyne-update-10-27

I had very hard time with my own cliff tiles.. Your looks pretty nice!Beautiful palettes.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »

i like the demo, but HOW THE HECK DO I KILL THE MASK  Cry Cry Tired

whenever i try... i just get  WTF ed

You can play it safe, but it takes a little longer to beat. If you only hurt the boss when it's charging the laser, and focus on dodging when it moves up and down the room that should help.

I must have sounded harsh. I didn't really mean bad, but the rest just looked better.
I feel that the side view looked like a completely different character. And the walking looked very static and choppy, even for just 2 frames of animation.

Here's a little edit I did. I hope it helps.

Thanks Green. I've forwarded it on to Jon who will decide what to do (he is the artist).

I had very hard time with my own cliff tiles.. Your looks pretty nice!Beautiful palettes.

Thanks - Jon drew them (not me)!

play hydlide 2
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »

No problem man. Keep up the good work. Both of you  Gentleman
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

Thanks - Jon drew them (not me)!

Ugh my bad  Facepalm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:36:37 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »

lol thanks for the tips man... hope i can use em XD

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »

beetleking22: Don't worry about it!

Connor: Good luck!

CorazonAzul:

I am glad you liked the game flow so far, as well as the aesthetics/mystery of the intro. I hope you will enjoy the rest of the game when it comes out.

on crits:

- Yes the broom is a bit comical but also important. The character may be relatable to but only over the course of the game. Hopefully the character will be understood, even better if relatable...we'll see. But not much in the demo will allow one to relate to the character, and that's okay and intentional

- As for the holes, not sure. Perhaps I will go easier on the holes there? The holes in later stages are easier to pick out. One could argue the trial and error is important at the point

- Yeah I will probably deal with the sound effects. I do find it annoying.

- The minimap thing I might play with, though I'm pretty happy as is. Putting it on screen would cover most of the screen, might look funny?

- I'm too lazy to fuck with the movement code, it stresses me out because of how much I've redid it (it was much, much worse in the past), and it's good enough that I'm not touching it anymore. Although in general, yeah, what you've described seems ideal.

- There's a way to customize the dialogue, but you're an edge case - most people don't ever change the controls, and for those who do it's extremely, extremely likely they're knowledgable about games enough to figure out what to do (as you are!). Thus if I have the extra time I might go and fix it, though it's not a priority. It would be a quick fix in any case. Actually I fixed this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:01:47 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

- The minimap thing I might play with, though I'm pretty happy as is. Putting it on screen would cover most of the screen, might look funny?

It doesn't have to. The Metal Gear Solid Game Boy Color game had a mini-map in the top right corner, and it wasn't magnified--one pixel was one tile. You didn't even notice how much room it took up. It showed a little more than what the player saw on-screen; it was a little hard to see on the Game Boy (partly due to an awkward color scheme that just doesn't work that small), but it got the job done, and on an emulator (at magnified resolution) it's clear as day.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

It doesn't have to. The Metal Gear Solid Game Boy Color game had a mini-map in the top right corner, and it wasn't magnified--one pixel was one tile. You didn't even notice how much room it took up. It showed a little more than what the player saw on-screen; it was a little hard to see on the Game Boy (partly due to an awkward color scheme that just doesn't work that small), but it got the job done, and on an emulator (at magnified resolution) it's clear as day.

Oh, I see. There's not too much real-estate in the top of the screen - the header is only twenty pixels, so i'd only be able to fit 15x15 pixels up there (or have it awkwardly rectangular). I'll have to think about it?!?

--

In other news..

submitted to the student IGF!!!

woo-hoo. gonna make a trailer today for you guys...got a good idea for one...

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »

Made ya'll a new trailer

http://youtu.be/Mc38JnsvKG8?hd=1

check it out
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:34:09 AM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »

That trailer could use some music. And the first zelda game had a minimap like that.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »

That trailer could use some music. And the first zelda game had a minimap like that.

The trailer doesn't need music - there's ambiance in the background

I might think about doing a super minimal minimap - just juxtaposed 2x2 squares with separation. Anything else bigger might not fit/convey much useful informtaion.

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic