Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:40:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 137810 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »

Beat it this morning.  
Ran into a few bugs throughout the game, most of them related to what happens when you fall down a hole (or drown).  
The most annoying bug was in the double jump room of the snow area.  The second speed pad of the second jump would only register randomly (it would grey out, but no sound or speed boost would occur).  I probably died about 10 times in that room (or the next couple, but mostly because I lost 2/3s of my health in that room).

Edit:
Yeah, I don't get why the Kotaku article seems to think that indie Zeldalikes are that common.  Puzzle platformers? Sure.  Zeldalikes?  Not really.  I can probably only name 5 off the top of my head.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »

Beat it this morning. 
Ran into a few bugs throughout the game, most of them related to what happens when you fall down a hole (or drown). 
The most annoying bug was in the double jump room of the snow area.  The second speed pad of the second jump would only register randomly (it would grey out, but no sound or speed boost would occur).  I probably died about 10 times in that room (or the next couple, but mostly because I lost 2/3s of my health in that room).

Yeah, that room sits in my mind as an issue (a similar room is in another dungeon). There's a trick to making it easier to do but it's totally nonobvious (jumping onto the first pad rather than walking onto it). I might have to remove it from the mobile version as it might just be way too unfair.

Yeah, the holes are very buggy, as are the respawning after you fall in. I had trouble getting the feel perfect and figuring out how to deal with jumping but it's good enough to work atm.

-----

Anyways the neoGAF thread is still pretty entertaining - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511997 - wish someone would post the demo in the thread. This applies to all games, but I don't really get

1. Why people get so upset at themes/symbolism in games
2. Why people judge stuff before trying it

maybe i'll post a thread here on that for discussion. my guess is mostly jealousy or incapability to do something like that themselves, or been rubbed the wrong way by a lot of the faux-intellectualism that floats around in some indie games.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »

myy neogaf account still isn't approved - could someone post this coupon code there (unless it seems too snarky?) CRITICISMSAREEXPONENTIALLYMOREVALUABLEWHENYOUVEPLAYEDTHEGAME

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 07, 2013, 03:10:49 PM »

I mean, I know we have stupid thread diversions here, but that thread is a goddamn abortion.
ink.inc
« Reply #444 on: February 07, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »

everyone on the internet is literally too stupid to breathe

there is no exception to this rule

not even me
invidious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 07, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31041.0

I'd take a looky over at this thread before you post at that NeoGAF thread (the OP's paranoia and website are fucking hilarious too). Aik's post sums it up quite well.

I really wouldn't bother replying to them. Doesn't look like the members there are into indie games all that much anyway and are just looking for games to crap on (well, I've only heard of the site once before, so what the hell do I know).

Anyways, been following this since August (I think?), game looks great. I'll probably buy a copy Saturday, been really looking forward to its release  Hand Money Left. Tried to a few days ago but couldn't get my credit card through (pro tip: don't try to guess those extra security passwords on your card, apparently banks don't like that).

And congrats on getting your game finished too. That's always been the part of game development I have trouble with... Tongue  Great job and look forward to your future games!  Smiley

- invidious

Also, first post here. (Hey everyone!) I'll head over to the introductory thread now before I get yelled at for not posting there first, ha ha.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: February 07, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »

Yeah. I do not think I will post in the thread, but at the same time  it's still good for people to try games which is why I'd like the coupon code to get posted there (I made a few desura keys which have slightly snarky names but they're more just getting at the fact that it is a very nowhere-going argument - maybe someone will play and talk about it). I don't know. I think you may be right that they're just looking to crap on stuff.

On the marketing side it is good for exposure to the Greenlight page, so there's that. NeoGAF has ENORMOUS traffic and I'm running out of ideas for getting greenlit...

I'm okay with criticism. Anodyne has a lot of flaws. That last "puzzle" especially (it actually used to be much, much more obscure/impossible). Buggy tile callbacks, level design issues, etc. But I mean, it's fine, we finished, etc, and we have gotten thoughtful thoughts on the game so far so that has definitely been worth it.

Thanks for following it for so long! Let me know what you think.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »

Is it a bug that the game lets out a weird little groan when I stab the square where the womb dungeon boss died?
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »

Currently exploring the glitch level of the game. It's really expansive!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »

Is it a bug that the game lets out a weird little groan when I stab the square where the womb dungeon boss died?

That is weird! And kind of cool. I guess I will fix that.

The glitch level is well..hmm...infinite. hm hm hm

---

anyways i figured out how to give my fastspring buyers automatic desura keys. I also uploaded a patched version of the game fixing some bugs and that awful puzzle.

next patch will probably have controller support if I can hack that togehter

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:32 PM »

ptached theg ame im fucking grumpy and despprpesed

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: February 07, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »

But seriously, there's nothing worth responding to in that thread. I've never posted on Neogaf but I get the sense that it's mostly just young kids who are having fun posting on the internet. The fact that they are talking about your game is a good thing.

GAF is really not a bad place usually. That particular thread was lame though, like... seriously? They don't like the *COLORS*? Soooo random and IMHO not even sensible, the colors in particular are unique and awesome.

SEAN YOUR GAME RULES Smiley Gonna play some more tonite, WE ARE BORN IN THE DECAY OF OUR MOTHERS' BODIES
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 07, 2013, 11:43:57 PM »

ptached theg ame im fucking grumpy and despprpesed

Don't get down man, you've done something amazing and that you'll always remember: you *finished* a game and you *sold* it. That' a huge milestone in every game developer's career, and one that few make it to. The internet is a wily place and unfounded criticism is always abound and mixed with the good criticism. You gotta ignore the bad, process the good, and keep trucking.

It's a really nice game and I'm happy I pre-ordered it! You've got fans and you'll get more, so don't let the negative opinions drown the voices of those of us happy with your game!

How old are you? You don't have to answer that, but I am positive that when I was your age I was making shit games compared to Anodyne and definitely not making any money! Keep at it, support the game, and you'll do awesome Beer!
Ant
« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2013, 12:40:24 AM »

chin up lad. the worries associated with a first release will soon seep away leaving nought but satisfaction
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: February 08, 2013, 12:41:43 AM »

But seriously, there's nothing worth responding to in that thread. I've never posted on Neogaf but I get the sense that it's mostly just young kids who are having fun posting on the internet. The fact that they are talking about your game is a good thing.

GAF is really not a bad place usually. That particular thread was lame though, like... seriously? They don't like the *COLORS*? Soooo random and IMHO not even sensible, the colors in particular are unique and awesome.

SEAN YOUR GAME RULES Smiley Gonna play some more tonite, WE ARE BORN IN THE DECAY OF OUR MOTHERS' BODIES

thanks calvin Smiley yes that area came out of one of the more interesting evolution of ideas.

-------

randomshade - Yeah, I shouldn't be down! I should be more upbeat and not depressed and selfish and sort of sympathy-fishing-ish.  I appreciate your words! It's not the negative comments getting me down (releasing a few games on Newgrounds/Kong hardened me to that), I find them amusing more than anything, it's just some sort of post-release emotional cycle that's affecting me, and then some other stuff too (close friend almost dying from OD'ing, leaving school...). blah! all will be fine.

I'm a few months from 21 at the moment. Or alternatively -100 years old according to my profile.

caiys - thanks! yes i hope it will leave soon.

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: February 08, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

I'm absolutely loving the game so far. Sound design is great, the world feels bigger than it actually is, and it's pretty fun. It's the first game I've played in a while with an emphasis on game mechanics (ie something that isn't an artgame or visual novel) that hasn't bored me. I'm stuck, though.

I've beaten the boss in the cave and got the blue key, and I think I've discovered every accessible area up to this point and have cleared almost all of them (I have 15 cards). I have no idea where to find the last key - where do I need to go?

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: February 08, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »

I'm absolutely loving the game so far. Sound design is great, the world feels bigger than it actually is, and it's pretty fun. It's the first game I've played in a while with an emphasis on game mechanics (ie something that isn't an artgame or visual novel) that hasn't bored me. I'm stuck, though.

I've beaten the boss in the cave and got the blue key, and I think I've discovered every accessible area up to this point and have cleared almost all of them (I have 15 cards). I have no idea where to find the last key - where do I need to go?

Thanks! Glad you like it so far.

Did you find the key in the red area?

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »

Thanks! Glad you like it so far.

Did you find the key in the red area?

The area with the giant walking creatures? No. Although I did manage to jump around the statue in the cave boss' lair - not sure if I'm supposed to be able to do that.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: February 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

Yeah that was an unintended way to skip that part - I think i'm leaving it in tho.

We got a video from at0mium, a french gaming site - http://www.at0mium.fr/episode/l-univers-du-jeu-independant/lunivers-du-jeu-independant-anodyne apparently it is a very nice video!!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

That french site has been helping a lot with sales. Some good receptions, some not okay receptions from the press (complaints about the jumping and holes being annoying, they kind of are, but most people it doesn't seem to be a problem).

well anodyne's still up for $8 if you want. tomorrow that becomes $10.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic