Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998174 Posts in 39144 Topics- by 30553 Members - Latest Member: drako30

April 18, 2014, 12:06:42 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsFinishedAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 62361 times)
seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »

did a thing for a thing. you'll like it.

did another thing.

blah blah blah.

wrote some music today. most of it sucked so it got thrown away. OH WELL

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »

Did a little music so far, I plan to do more later. I overslept today and spent a lot of time giving a lecture on Unix and then doing class stuff Tongue .

We will have some pics later, and maybe some WIP with songs. Ihope to finish the music this weekend!

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »

doo doo doo

Chris Polus
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »

Hey Sean

Congrats on your mention on RPS! I know from firsthand experience that it's not easy and the road to get press coverage is paved with frustration and follow-ups, lol Smiley But I had my share of them and learned along the way. I was at the GDC and talked to press people and read a lot of helpful articles by other devs who talk about the exact challenge of contacting the press.

One of the best guides I found was from PixelProspector.com. It's really comprehensive and easy to follow.
http://www.pixelprospector.com/how-to-contact-press/

In my experience having a video is one of the most important elements. A nicely cut video that conveys the essence of the game, the feelings, some story maybe. You can have several trailers focusing on different aspects, but they should be coherent as a unit. Press coverage is not a one-off either. So if you have significant updates, made some story progress, make a new trailer, focus on this new story part that you finished and send a new email to the people that already featured you (write down their email addresses and names, thank them for covering you, and update them on what happened).

I really like making gameplay videos or demos. So if I should have any free time at some point I could take your demo and try to make something of it that you can use for the press again Smiley Just drop me a line. I'd really like to help. Currently we have a loooot to do ourselves, but who knows.

Best of luck, I'll keep tracking the project Smiley Never give up, never surrender Smiley
Chris

http://about.me/chrispolus - my website, music, sound design, videos and services.

I'm the
- sound designer of Son of Nor (Devlog) at stillalive studios
- sound designer of the Arcan Chronicles
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

dominiqueferland@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »

Hey! Could you post some sexy screenshots, I'd love to put Anodyne in the TIGSource Devlog Mag! Thanks!

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

Hey! Could you post some sexy screenshots, I'd love to put Anodyne in the TIGSource Devlog Mag! Thanks!

sure i'll try to. Jon's drawing a number of tilesets still but none are in game yet, although at some point they will be in-game,and then i'll post screenshots in conjunction with a devlog update.

I will stick some older screenshots here with descriptions, in case ya wanna use those.

one picture I was sent recently was this, which is a work in progress for jon - it's part of a non-dungeon forest area. i copypastad the player in

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »

Hey Sean

Chris

Thanks Chris! I read a few of those articles before I did my first press push - I'd say it went pretty well, all in all, though I'm still pushing for mentions on the other big sites - GiantBomb, Kotaku, Destructoid, and larger Youtube channels...just to drum up people noticing. I do send them the trailer we have. I'll probably need to make a new one before the game is released.

It is nice that after the press push, I have a list of contacts in the press. I don't think I'd bother them with my weekly updates, but maybe I'll send them the release trailer...when I get around to making it. Not sure - release is only a few months off, so I'm debating whether to just wait till then to send download codes and so forth - I don't want to bother them too much...hmm...

Perhaps you could make a video when the game's released? There's a number of videos of playing the demo already - although if you want to make one of the demo I'm totally fine with that!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:36:54 PM by seagaia » Logged

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

Worked on a lot of music today. Lots of outtakes, but here's something that will stay. It's really weird

Chris Polus
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »

I think your music fits your art and game style very well. Well done! Not many people are artist, coder and musician in one person. I did understand correctly that you're the only one working on the game, right?

Sure, I can do a video once the game is finished. We could talk at some point about what you think is absolutely crucial in your game to really bring that forward. And what style the video should have.

Well, we don't bother the press with weekly updates either, so I think that's a good move. And I saw you had some exposure already. At least you have a playable demo, which we don't yet have so it's hard getting our game out to YouTubers. Smiley We'll get there eventually.

I'm curious if you really manage to finish the game "in a few month's time" as you said. Hehe, you know, the last 10% of polishment are as hard as the previous 90%, hehe. Anyway I keep my fingers crossed of course and then we can stick our heads together about the release trailer. Keep me posted. I'd really like to look into this and see what it is that makes a trailer great. Let's figure it out together.

I'm going back to my own projects now. And there should be the 2nd episode of Arcan Chronicles coming, which will go into post production in a week or two, where I'll do all the sound work again. Speak to you later.

Chris

http://about.me/chrispolus - my website, music, sound design, videos and services.

I'm the
- sound designer of Son of Nor (Devlog) at stillalive studios
- sound designer of the Arcan Chronicles
seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

I think your music fits your art and game style very well. Well done! Not many people are artist, coder and musician in one person. I did understand correctly that you're the only one working on the game, right?

Sure, I can do a video once the game is finished. We could talk at some point about what you think is absolutely crucial in your game to really bring that forward. And what style the video should have.

Well, we don't bother the press with weekly updates either, so I think that's a good move. And I saw you had some exposure already. At least you have a playable demo, which we don't yet have so it's hard getting our game out to YouTubers. Smiley We'll get there eventually.

I'm curious if you really manage to finish the game "in a few month's time" as you said. Hehe, you know, the last 10% of polishment are as hard as the previous 90%, hehe. Anyway I keep my fingers crossed of course and then we can stick our heads together about the release trailer. Keep me posted. I'd really like to look into this and see what it is that makes a trailer great. Let's figure it out together.

I'm going back to my own projects now. And there should be the 2nd episode of Arcan Chronicles coming, which will go into post production in a week or two, where I'll do all the sound work again. Speak to you later.

Chris

Nope, I'm working on it with Jon Kittaka, he's the one who does the really great art and the clever dialogue. And does sanity checks on my stuff as well (finds bugs etc.) .

I really do think there are only a few months of work left, although I guess it does depend how well the testers react to the other dungeons in the game since the only really heavily "proven" one is the one in the demo. Although I have tried to make it so once you finish that you know enough to deal with the rest with very few instructions. We'll see...

Yeah, we can discuss a video later, if you'd like to make one. I usually try to cover what I see as 3 aspects - the calmness of some non-dungeon areas, the forboding nature of some non-dungeon areas, and then the interaction within the dungeons. At least that's what I tried to do with my previous trailer, tying it closely to the song I wrote for it.

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »

hai

Today I did some more implementing of other area thingies. And some other things. I can't tell you what these things are because that would be absolutely no fun.

I also made an "alpha" release to some real-life friends (sorry interwebz), containing the dungeons. Out of the 6, one has found a number of quick fixes so far which are nice to know about. Woo-hoo for friendship. Nothing horrible has happened, which makes me pretty happy with the codebase...

That's about it for now. I can taste freedom from the game. But what's on the other side after finishing? Well, hopefully a number of happy and inspired people and some other nice things, but also an empty void that can only be filled by starting another game. And so the vicious cycle continues, an endless fight against a hole that refuses to be filled.

yeah fuck

---

do YOU know anyone who writes for giantbomb, destructoid or kotaku? then you should totally drop them a line and friendly-ly ask them to check out our demo.

i would be indebted to you.

so much that if we ever met in real life, I would take you out to an awkward dinner at a mcdonalds, where you may buy any extra value meal you desire.

PONDER THAT ONE OVER.

ScaryPotato
Level 1

scarypotato@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »

I've been playing the demo of this game a little bit here and there, and have to say that I've enjoyed it immensely! Still haven't gotten very far, but the stuff I've seen to this point is top notch  Grin

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »

I've been playing the demo of this game a little bit here and there, and have to say that I've enjoyed it immensely! Still haven't gotten very far, but the stuff I've seen to this point is top notch  Grin

thanks dude!

yeah so today I worked a bit on finishing up another song. I'm reaaaaaaally close to finishing. The soundtrack will probably hit an hour, and I think I'll add in the outtakes as a bonus thing! 

my buddy etan has been playing through the dungeons and found a lot of bugs, which I've since fixed. Some of them were sort of big so I'm glad they're out of the way!

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Well, progress. I think we have all our story sorted out now so there aren't many unknowns.

No screenies yet but some new music.

Fixing a lot of bugs that my friend is finding.

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »

Yeah so that presentation is on Saturday. It should be pretty fun. I kind of want to record it, but maybe I'll just do another presentation via some sort of recorded screencast?

My talk is

-Super basic intro on games for those who are totally clueless
-Basic explanation of the game
-Playthrough some intro areas and then explain aesthetic choices, our intended feels...
-Discuss design of the tutorial dungeon
-Talk about our TOOLZ

----

Other than that, just fixing bugs, making little bits of progress on remaining songs, doin' stuff for the IGFs (Student and Main!)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic