Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1152781 Posts in 48785 Topics- by 39992 Members - Latest Member: jgardner

September 02, 2015, 03:49:08 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsChesster
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chesster  (Read 1084 times)
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:26 pm »

What is it?

Chesster is a match 3 game where the pieces move like in the game of chess. You move 3 pieces at a time, so you have more control over the board than you would in a more traditional match 3 game. You also must sacrifice points to stay in the game!

There are also challenge and puzzle types of games that have you achieving goals instead of just surviving.

Treasure collecting for completionists and extra challenge!

ETA

Hoping for a July/August release.

Current Development

Being rebuilt in Unity.

Game Site: http://playchesster.com

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:19:46 am by Defcon1 » Logged

Chesster
@therightsean
NotionGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:42:16 am »

Looks interesting. I love chess. I'll be sure to check this out

Notion Games (Up Up Ubi for iOS available now!)
http://www.NotionGames.com
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:43 pm »

Been working on menu design.

Puzzle Screen

There are eight rows of puzzles to solve and there are eight levels to play. Sooooo, each level will unlock a row of eight puzzles! Here's the puzzle board with all rows locked except the first one. Gold stars will mark solved puzzles.

Treasure collection

Players will come here to keep track of captured treasure and see which collection it fits into. I still need to fit one more treasure collection in here, just not sure on the layout just yet...

Chesster
@therightsean
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:56:25 pm »

New Animations

When clearing a lot of pieces from the board, I felt the current animation was a bit heavy and tends to make the process a bit tedious. Here it is below.

I wanted something a bit quicker, something that flows better and isn't distracting. To me it seemed like a cool idea to have the piece consumed with fire. So I painted this image sequence of a consuming flame (slowed down).

I took this animation into After Effects to composite a final effect. Here it is consuming a rook!

Chesster for Mac

In other news we are also developing Chesster for Mac! So yay!

That's all for now!

Chesster
@therightsean
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:19:02 pm »

Steam Greenlight

Gameplay

Also posted straight gameplay footage to try to clear up a lot of confusion as to how the game works.

Garden Level

Castle Walls Level

Still working on solid point values vs demand value and playing with idea for more pieces to get that "rock, paper, scissors" balance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:17:57 pm by Defcon1 » Logged

Chesster
@therightsean
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:21:39 pm »

The progression of difficulty was feeling too linear and predictable so We are adding two new types of pieces to Chesster.

The first is the "Cursed" Block. Every cursed block remaining on the board will take points away from you. Here's what that animation is looking like right now.

The second piece is something more helpful, a bonus block that will boost the combo chain that sets it off. While it sits on the game board, it will look something like this! (why is fire so hard to animate!)

Adding these pieces should help balance the game and keep things interesting.

Chesster
@therightsean
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 10:09:27 pm »

OK done some more work on the cursed block on both the attack animation and now the "die" animation when you destroy the block.

Taking points

Destroying the curse

Finished bonus block-this flame will consume the unique blocks in each level.

Bonus block burst-when you get the bonus block it will burst like this!

Chesster
@therightsean
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:10 am »

Starting Up Again.

It's been a while but Chesster is back on the front burner. I'm getting it rebuilt in Unity to be exported for iOS, Android and PC. That rebuild is going on now, but before it started I took a look at the game and decided to make a few changes.

The older version of Chesster was set up with 8 levels. Each level would be primarily a high score challenge with a treasure hunting mechanic tying all of them together.

The new version has a map screen now to bring it up to par with plenty of other puzzle games out there. It feeds the exploration feel of the game and helps with overall immersion.

One problem I had designing the map is that half of the locations are inside a castle and the others are outside. I wasn't quite sure how to show relative scale between the locations. At first I considered making the map kind of like a board game, but that created more problems than I cared to deal with. Here's a screen early in the process setting up two locations.

But, I settled on a medieval paper map instead. This would be easier and fits with the tone of the game as well. Looking at some older maps, scale could be used to show importance instead of for measurement, so I decided to just make the castle very large on the map so that the 4 levels inside could all be represented on the outside.

The older version of Chesster had a puzzle mode and the 8 unlockable areas but I have combined those two modes with a challenge mode and made them all accessible through the map. Each area on the map has 16 games of its own now.

Here's the progression of the design of the zoomed in view of the map.

Working on the layout.

Finishing the grid with all the games. Also Added a journal page to add a hint of story, keep the exploration theme.

Putting in finish artwork.
You'll notice the green key in this one. It's part of a small questing mechanic, you have to solve your way through the "game grid" so reaching the key to unlock the next area requires a bit of play and a bit of guesswork as to which path might land on the key. Nothing major but some added fun!

Thats all for now, I'll try posting more regularly now that things are moving along!

Chesster
@therightsean
vividhelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:40:19 pm »

Cool! The greenlight link seems to be broken, maybe edit/remove that comment so others don't follow the link if it doesn't work?

Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 06:18:42 pm »

Thanks Vivid, forgot about that!

Chesster
@therightsean
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic