Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998706 Posts in 39173 Topics- by 30583 Members - Latest Member: XilenceX

April 20, 2014, 11:51:22 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 31615 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »

Nice lighting. Are you doing 2d bumpmaps? I am curious how to plan to cast shadows like in the concept images

Yeah it's bump/normal mapping, and those aren't concept images - they're in game screen shots Wink Using a few different techniques, I'll go into more detail after I release a video, there's some mechanics I want to reveal in moving form rather than me badly explaining them Grin

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:50:30 AM »

Thanks, yeah I was concerned about the parallels with Fez and was afraid I might be drawing too much direct inspiration from it (because man I love that game). My dilemma in this regard is that the gameplay is based on the character being essentially, a giant light bulb, so that's why he's a pure white colour. I've played around with it for a while but I can't find anything else I like; but hopefully when people see it in motion it won't be so fez'ish but it's certainly something I need to keep an eye on and get feedback over Smiley

This is brilliant, and if his silhouette looked a little bit more like a lightbulb, I think he'd have a very distinct look (have you experimented with altering his shape in this way?)

Rakugaki-Otoko
Level 5

anti-minimalist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 01:57:43 AM »

Woah! that looks amazing! I'm really looking forward to this.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 02:27:03 AM »

This is brilliant, and if his silhouette looked a little bit more like a lightbulb, I think he'd have a very distinct look (have you experimented with altering his shape in this way?)

The basic character shape was supposed to somewhat lightbulby (new adjective right there Tongue) but I'm still considering changing it up a bit. The basic light bulb shape was to tie it up with the gameplay; he won't start out as a light source but ends up stumbling into that ability at the start - so he is actually a living thing and not physically a walking lightbulb Grin

That said, how would you go about shaping him more like a light bulb? Taper the body upwards and make the head bigger/taller perhaps?

SolarLune
Level 10

Hmm.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:46 AM »

Maybe give him a gradient of light that goes dark to light from the bottom up? That might give more of a feeling like he's giving off light.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »

Yeah it's the tapering. The legs currently look the most Fez-like so if they were smaller and the head were larger and more rounded maybe?

I dunno, even if he's not actually a bulb, I think there are some slightly differently looks to try, example: the large and small eye of those white creatures in Princess Mononoke? Something asymmetrical, perhaps?  A weird head shape?

SolarLune
Level 10

Hmm.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »

Maybe give him a scarf or something gray that covers part of his body? You know, like the socket portion of a lightbulb?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »

Screwing around a bit while in work:

Don't like any of them as much as the original; I like it's simplicity, for many reasons, and it does look nice running about in game - but the light bulb talk has got me thinking...

I'll see what a decent lightbulbesque (another great new word Grin) version looks like at some point when I have photoshop handy and not MS paint Tongue I drew a little doodle of a lightbulb character on paper and I like it a lot, just not sure if it would translate well to a 16x16 image.

EDIT: also when I get a chance I'll throw up a gif of the walking sequence, might throw some light (hehehehe) onto the character's style.

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

That jacket one gives it some personality, it's cute.

The bottom-middle, though, looks like it fell onto a barbecue or something, and is now charred for life, the bottom-left looks like the same except it went through a few rounds of therapy at the local clinic and is now writing a series of blog posts on its experiences in life.

What are your plans for music/is there any yet?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »

That jacket one gives it some personality, it's cute.

The bottom-middle, though, looks like it fell onto a barbecue or something, and is now charred for life, the bottom-left looks like the same except it went through a few rounds of therapy at the local clinic and is now writing a series of blog posts on its experiences in life.

What are your plans for music/is there any yet?

Haha, the bottom two were just me scribbling stuff in Paint trying to see where a bulb filament might fit in.

Regarding audio, I plan to have very little music involved, but heavy use of ambient sounds and effects throughout.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

I like the first one with the jacket. That one or the original is what I would go with.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

The jacket is enough of a thing that he's his own character, I like it.

shao
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

The light in the cave seems very good.
And the graphics in general I like.

SolarLune
Level 10

Hmm.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

I like the first one with the jacket. That one or the original is what I would go with.

Same. I'd also like to see what the top-right guy looks like with his eyes higher up, or perhaps as sideways slits.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. For now I'm gonna leave it as it is, there are a few other in-game rendering things I've yet to implement that will change the visual style slightly, involving some particle effects (but I haven't tried this yet so unsure as to how it will look); also with other game mechanics I haven't talked about yet being what they are, the player won't be white (Gomez) all the time.

I liked the jacket one the most out of those edits, but I'm trying to keep everything as clear and pure as possible, and on reflection, a jacket would probably be out of place within the story.

Things I got done yesterday:

• Added a shader to do some fancypants stuff
  • Created some sound effects - still need to work on footsteps on different materials
  • Altered slope gravity to provide more of a realistic pull
  • Drew some tiles and mixed up some of the other stuff on the level to make it more diverse and less plain
  • Prototyped a little puzzle/platforming mechanic that worked out well

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic