Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:09:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61377 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »

Had to share this, the incredibly talented Jonas Nacef drew this and it is fucking awesome:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »

Hah, cool fan art, yeah. Nice. And the game continues to look pretty slick.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »

i think i half-assedly replied to this on twitter but with regards to the igf, you might as well give it a shot. just have one small level and that shadow mechanic will do a lot, probably...i remember fez only had a rotaty-mechanic sort of, and in one of the 2007 or 08 igf videos, you were collecting little fez hat tokens - something silly and small.

basically you have a cool design thing so submit whatever cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn i'm pressuring you kind of.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2012, 01:08:56 AM »

i think i half-assedly replied to this on twitter but with regards to the igf, you might as well give it a shot. just have one small level and that shadow mechanic will do a lot, probably...i remember fez only had a rotaty-mechanic sort of, and in one of the 2007 or 08 igf videos, you were collecting little fez hat tokens - something silly and small.

basically you have a cool design thing so submit whatever cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn i'm pressuring you kind of.

yeah that's a good point, games change over time. It's just this year they want stuff closer to a finished product I think (with that whole '1 year' clause and if a game gets nominated it can't be re-entered). So need to make sure it's the best thing I can submit at the time.

I'm gonna do it, I just hope I can get all the important stuff in. I think it's better to see earlier versions of things in the IGF, that way they can gain some publicity earlier to help development, rather than just a marketing thing near the end. I'm just torn as to whether it's the best idea at this stage. I think it's worth it for the publicity, a bit like greenlight, games get discovered in that list no matter what, which is cool.

I don't think I worded any of that very well; basically I am going to enter what I can - it just scares the pants off me.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2012, 02:06:57 AM »

yeah that's a good point, games change over time. It's just this year they want stuff closer to a finished product I think (with that whole '1 year' clause and if a game gets nominated it can't be re-entered). So need to make sure it's the best thing I can submit at the time.

I'm gonna do it, I just hope I can get all the important stuff in. I think it's better to see earlier versions of things in the IGF, that way they can gain some publicity earlier to help development, rather than just a marketing thing near the end. I'm just torn as to whether it's the best idea at this stage. I think it's worth it for the publicity, a bit like greenlight, games get discovered in that list no matter what, which is cool.

I don't think I worded any of that very well; basically I am going to enter what I can - it just scares the pants off me.

I would definitely do as much as I could to enter this years' IGF.

I do get what you mean, but at the same time, I really think you should grab the chance now and refrain from over-thinking stuff about the future.

You have a great chance, and that chance is NOW. Just try as hard as you can and polish a single level to the best of your possibilities. The game has some very good potential for sure, and I do get how hard and stressful it is to work over a close deadline. Just try and get all of this to your own advantage, using those powerful feeling to motivate your work rather than your doubts.

It's gonna be alright Wink

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »

I now have 2 weeks off the day job to focus purely on this, anticipating large amounts of fun and progress to be had.

Got some good stuff together under the hood now. Most active objects in the game are now either 'KeyObjects' or 'LockObjects' and in my editor I just drop a 'wire' item over two points to join them together. Means I can make any lock interact with any key etc etc, just makes things a little easier for me.

Here's my #screenshotsaturday contributions for the week:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:39:56 AM by Claw » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2012, 01:33:23 AM »

Hey Claw, game is looking great and looking forward to seeing what you can get done with two weeks of complete focus on it.

Did noticed the two images at moment are linking to the bottom one.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:35 AM »

Ah thanks for letting me know - fixed it now. Bad copy & paste job Smiley

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

Hey Claw, I have a question regarding the game's look. I see that its pixeled but I read somewhere in the thread that you are using shaders for the light effects. My question is, how are you able to simulate the light interacting with the objects if they are pixels and not 3D objects. In my mind, I would need to have a sprite representation of all angles that light could hit it from to show its lightside when the light hits it and the shadows it creates. Unless you have a mix of both, 3D object and pixel Sprites.
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2012, 01:54:33 AM »

Hey Claw, I have a question regarding the game's look. I see that its pixeled but I read somewhere in the thread that you are using shaders for the light effects. My question is, how are you able to simulate the light interacting with the objects if they are pixels and not 3D objects. In my mind, I would need to have a sprite representation of all angles that light could hit it from to show its lightside when the light hits it and the shadows it creates. Unless you have a mix of both, 3D object and pixel Sprites.

I'm assuming he's using normal maps, bump maps and the like

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »

It's all 2D with hand drawn normal maps, example:

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2012, 04:51:36 AM »

I'm assuming he's using normal maps, bump maps and the like

It's all 2D with hand drawn normal maps, example:

Ah ok, no idea why I didnt think of that. I've only used normal & bump maps for 3D objects. Never thought of using it for sprites. And hand drawn at that, not automatically created.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:11 AM »

Today I spent some time optimising some code (blergh yuck) and to balance out nasty codey stuff with fun design stuff I'm doing some polishing.

Thought I'd post and ask if anyone has any suggestions for things (subtle or not) you might find in a sewer?

I've added a few little bits today so far, but googling sewers comes up with similar sorts of stuff (turns out sewers aren't all that interesting Tongue) but yeah any ideas would be cool Smiley

Here's a shot of some seweryness:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »

Well, it's a game, so anything could be in the sewers. Ruins of an older civilization? Living socialing creates (in villages, for example)? Overgrowing trees and foliage growing in the waste, perhaps pale and exceptionally sensitive to light (growing or wilting when exposed to it)? Of course, water and water-treading and breathing enemies or creatures. You could do a lot with what you've got.

That last screenshot's cool, but it's kind of monotone (all green). Maybe you could use vary up the colors a bit?

caou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »

Rats!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

More plants and things growing in shallow water sounds like a good idea to add to the run down feel of the area. This is an actual sewer though for a full world, the suggestion of ruins etc is cool, and the entire game is based around that principle, but this part is a sewer to a larger world, so I was just trying to think up stuff that you might find in that kind of place in real life. I'll take some artistic license and think up some weird stuff (like you said, it's a game Smiley).

Things being sensitive to light is a pretty cool idea I like that.

The colour is monotone for a reason, it poses a challenge making the scenery compelling but it means when colour does come into it it has a lot more of an impact, that's pretty much the backbone of the game's concept. I'm taking a general tone to encompass an entire area, in this case I went with sewers = green, and got a bit of a gameboy type palette going.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

Broken lightbulb shards, maybe some shiny dimes that were dropped (interactable for maximum platforming creativity), water leaking, an old caved in sewer system below it..

Those are my sewer suggestions.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »

The sewers look cool and I love some of the previous ideas like light sensitive plants. 

Maybe alligators could in the water, or maybe some radioactive waste that will slowly kill you?  Also a camp of evil bandits or thieves living in the sewers that try to kill you, or a draining and raising the water thing to get to places previously unacceptable.  Light could also behave differently under water somehow, like light refraction when it is entering, or it could fade away after a bit.  Just a few ideas.

Hope you do good at IGF.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2012, 02:28:46 AM »

Good suggestions, thanks Smiley Given me quite a few things to think about.

I paused the polishing and knuckled down to some necessary things over the past few days that need to be done, one of which is the introductory section to the game. It's still not finished yet, hoping to have it done in the next 1-2 days (deadlines!) then I can focus on the other big thing I need to do. I'm hopefully gonna get some people to play test it at the next local dev meet which is on tuesday, so need to get it together before then Grin

I spent almost all of yesterday trying to get something working that will be in the game for like 20 seconds, not an optimal use of time when I think about it but when I got it working it felt pretty great, here's a screenshot:

Ingshtrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2012, 05:58:39 AM »

I really, really, REALLY like the concept of having two "personas", where one is the shadow that can use the shadows as platforms and other things.  I think this has great potential and I can't wait to see more! Beer!

Current DevLog: Finding Home (platformer/shooter)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic