Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:35:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61329 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »

Yeah it's the tapering. The legs currently look the most Fez-like so if they were smaller and the head were larger and more rounded maybe?

I dunno, even if he's not actually a bulb, I think there are some slightly differently looks to try, example: the large and small eye of those white creatures in Princess Mononoke? Something asymmetrical, perhaps?  A weird head shape?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »

Maybe give him a scarf or something gray that covers part of his body? You know, like the socket portion of a lightbulb?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »

Screwing around a bit while in work:

Don't like any of them as much as the original; I like it's simplicity, for many reasons, and it does look nice running about in game - but the light bulb talk has got me thinking...

I'll see what a decent lightbulbesque (another great new word Grin) version looks like at some point when I have photoshop handy and not MS paint Tongue I drew a little doodle of a lightbulb character on paper and I like it a lot, just not sure if it would translate well to a 16x16 image.

EDIT: also when I get a chance I'll throw up a gif of the walking sequence, might throw some light (hehehehe) onto the character's style.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

That jacket one gives it some personality, it's cute.

The bottom-middle, though, looks like it fell onto a barbecue or something, and is now charred for life, the bottom-left looks like the same except it went through a few rounds of therapy at the local clinic and is now writing a series of blog posts on its experiences in life.

What are your plans for music/is there any yet?

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »

That jacket one gives it some personality, it's cute.

The bottom-middle, though, looks like it fell onto a barbecue or something, and is now charred for life, the bottom-left looks like the same except it went through a few rounds of therapy at the local clinic and is now writing a series of blog posts on its experiences in life.

What are your plans for music/is there any yet?

Haha, the bottom two were just me scribbling stuff in Paint trying to see where a bulb filament might fit in.

Regarding audio, I plan to have very little music involved, but heavy use of ambient sounds and effects throughout.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

I like the first one with the jacket. That one or the original is what I would go with.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

The jacket is enough of a thing that he's his own character, I like it.

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

The light in the cave seems very good.
And the graphics in general I like.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

I like the first one with the jacket. That one or the original is what I would go with.

Same. I'd also like to see what the top-right guy looks like with his eyes higher up, or perhaps as sideways slits.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. For now I'm gonna leave it as it is, there are a few other in-game rendering things I've yet to implement that will change the visual style slightly, involving some particle effects (but I haven't tried this yet so unsure as to how it will look); also with other game mechanics I haven't talked about yet being what they are, the player won't be white (Gomez) all the time.

I liked the jacket one the most out of those edits, but I'm trying to keep everything as clear and pure as possible, and on reflection, a jacket would probably be out of place within the story.

Things I got done yesterday:

• Added a shader to do some fancypants stuff
  • Created some sound effects - still need to work on footsteps on different materials
  • Altered slope gravity to provide more of a realistic pull
  • Drew some tiles and mixed up some of the other stuff on the level to make it more diverse and less plain
  • Prototyped a little puzzle/platforming mechanic that worked out well

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »

Screen shot of the day: (click to zoom)

• Drew up some more tiles, mostly brickwork alterations and generally making things more diverse to avoid looking repetitively tiled
  • Basic particle system for ambient dust (to test out how it looked) which can be seen in attached screenshot. Made a random/stupid decision to render particle positions as if they were 3D by coming up with an obscure Z coord imitation but it actually turned out alright
  • Changed up/sexified some sprites for the 'mechanic'

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »

Such a great screenshot, love the lighting Kiss

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »

Looks awesome, keep it up! Can't wait to see it in motion.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

Cheers fellas Smiley

Here's a couple o' screen shots of some tile work I've done today, working mostly on a base layer for 'cave painting' type stuff, sort of a rock canvas:

ACHTUNG! ROCKS FALLING DANGER

List of stuff I gone done did:

• Tile work
  • Ambient particle improvements and encapsulation, smooth and now moves. Smooth moves.
  • Some ambient sound in there too, but need to incorporate this and other object based stuff into the level editor rather than manually hacking it in to prototype it

I'm aiming to get something together for a video soon, around Sunday? Hopefully. Need a new hard drive for video editing stuff to fit on + Fraps space. Should work on level design a bit before then too but if that doesn't fully come together the video will provide a nice tech demo at least.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »

Screenshots:

Posted earlier in the screenshot Saturday thread

Solar powered doors:

Today's list:

• Expanded level, tried to 'sketch' out some early puzzle concepts
  • Level editor updated to allow object integration, got doors and linked switches placeable in there now
  • More tile work as always
  • Have a clearer vision of the base story in my head now, still trying to imagine the big picture with world construction from a design perspective

Really enjoying design and art, puzzles are going to be a tricky beast to think of but should be fun. I've been iterating over the level design as I go and switching up tiles and adding to the character of the level, making it look worn and derelict.

Side note, #screenshotsaturday is always inspirational, good stuff being posted all day.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

Sweet art and lighting, again. I like the red rivets on the gold of the treasure chest. How do you do the dynamic shadows?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »

Same plane shadows: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8803.0

And for the background stuff I project the textures back until they collide with a fake plane on the Z axis, using the tile vertices and light position.

That was a shit explanation, let me try again Tongue I draw a line in 3 dimensions, starting from the light position, going towards the corner of the tile to project, then continue the line until it hits the back wall/appropriate depth. Then use these values for re-rendering the tile with black colour and lower alpha. I render them to an FBO, then just apply blur shader effects to the FBO as it's rendered on top of the background.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 05:19:58 AM »

Alright here we go, video time.

Youtube quality makes me sad, maybe I didn't render the video as well as I could. 720p there anyway.

Puzzle mechanics tentatively revealed.

retrohelix
Level 1

Hip hop array

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 05:29:04 AM »

Subscribed. It looks absolutely beautiful.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »

How do you make that ripple effect? It's super cool, as well as the puzzle mechanic.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic